Good Bye and Good Luck! - Page 6 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #51 of 62 Old 11-25-15, 07:02 PM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Send a message via AIM to lcaillo
Re: Good Bye and Good Luck!

Quote:
gtpsuper24 wrote: View Post
Some that are turned off by that environment are the ones who have bought into what a company sells them. And some of the members over there call companies out on some of their sales tactics. Well said people who are turned off by a "free for all mentality" usually bring up the personal attacks because they don't like the "bashing" that their favorite brand receives. Usually just about every brand has been in the crosshairs although some more than others.

Like there can be no discussion on why its bad a center uses a odd tweeter layout. It will get edited here so not to offend any posters that own that product. AVS its free to call it out as a bad design with measurements and actual facts. Those that own that product then feel AVS is a horrid place full of hateful people.

Brand A is say $2500 for a tower that uses basic vinyl finish and very little cabinet bracing and basic cheap part xover design. While Brand B uses High gloss finishes as standard, heavy solid cabinets and high quality xover parts and it sells for $1700 a pair. AVS that stuff gets called out on and no recommended. Here you need to tip toe around as to no offend anyone or have you thread entirely edited with a stern PM stating the rules and receiving a warning.

These are a few reasons many have said good bye to HTS and one day it will be a broken link.
Simply not true. We do not edit whether someone has an opinion that something is bad or good. What we restrict is bashing a manufacturer unfairly or claiming that opinions are fact, or attacking individuals rather than debating ideas. We ABSOLUTELY do not have an issue with the opinion or the idea, just with how one approaches others.

Perhaps we have not been clear enough about the differences between ideas about products and how we treat others, and about how opinions are ok but selling them as facts is NOT ok.

This discussion is important because it gets to what is different about how we discuss things compared to how others conduct themselves. If people don't value that difference, then frankly, there is not much reason for HTS to exist.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 62 Old 11-25-15, 07:05 PM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Send a message via AIM to lcaillo

Quote:
tesseract wrote: View Post
I have never been sanctioned at any forum I have participated in... except for AVS.

I have had posts deleted simply for supporting a manufacturer that was on the bad side of their administration. They had (have) a personal vendetta against that company and I got caught in the cross fire. PMs are read by admin there, I've had a few of those deleted. Read my last post there for more info, provided that thread did not disappear completely, like many before it have. I have not posted there since, because of the heavy bias and invasion of privacy AVS has levied against myself and quite a few others.

Saying that one has freedom of speech at AVS is untrue. Saying they do not play favorites with manufacturers is untrue.

Conversely, anyone that has a problem with HTS moderation might want to look at how they have worded their posts. If you are abrasive, yes, we will take the edges off. If you want your message to get though, adjust your posting style. You can say almost anything you like here if you use tact.

There is a big difference between posting information with tact and posting attacks with little regard to forum rules.
Yep. This is why many of us ended up here and don't bother with other forums.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
post #53 of 62 Old 12-01-15, 10:26 AM
Senior Shackster
Bryan

Just found this thread. It did seem to me that traffic was down around here, but I didn't realize that it was to such a great extent. It makes me sad. I really enjoy this site and appreciate the approach that has been taken with regard to respect and language and such.

I have seen big, national companies take over smaller, more local companies on several occasions, including a company my father started and worked with for a very long time. The tendency seems to be for management to take over and implement their own ideas and policies without bothering to understand what made the company successful in the past. They frequently drive their acquisitions into the ground by abandoning the ideas, people and practices that drove the company's success. As was the case with my father's company. If these larger conglomerates want to be successful in acquiring other companies, they should be keeping as many staff on hand as possible, and they should be listening to what those people say instead of assuming that their knowledge and education and experience trump the years of success the company had prior. One presumes that the larger company bought the smaller one because it was a successful, profitable venture. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I bet this site is worth less on the open market than it was when Sonnie sold it. He should just buy it back and consider the difference money in his pocket -- but perhaps he is in a situation now that does not allow him to manage it the way he did before. It's a shame really - he was really great and I think had a way with people. He's probably the main reason that the site had so many sponsors.

Anyway, I will hang around as long as this site does, and I hope it doesn't fold. Although I do read more on "that other forum" due mostly to sheer volume, I post more here and enjoy the interaction with members here. Thank you all for your efforts to get through to the VS guys and revitalize this forum.
post #54 of 62 Old 12-01-15, 07:18 PM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Jim

My System

Quote:
bkeeler10 wrote: View Post
I bet this site is worth less on the open market than it was when Sonnie sold it. He should just buy it back and consider the difference money in his pocket
Now there's a good idea.

Quote:
bkeeler10 wrote: View Post
Thank you all for your efforts to get through to the VS guys and revitalize this forum.
Perhaps the most telling aspect is VS hasn't posted anything, here or in the private area. You begin to wonder if they even log in anymore.

-Jim

If you take yourself too seriously, expect me to do the exact opposite
post #55 of 62 Old 12-01-15, 07:33 PM
Elite Shackster

My System

No offence to VS but when Sonnie owned this forum it was more like a mom and pop place. Now it's more commercialized. People see and feel the change and therefore traffic goes down.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
post #56 of 62 Old 12-01-15, 07:46 PM
Elite Shackster

My System
Good Bye and Good Luck!

Quote:
theJman wrote: View Post
Perhaps the most telling aspect is VS hasn't posted anything, here or in the private area. You begin to wonder if they even log in anymore.
the only time I've seen them is to accommodate the occasional "delete user account" request. I hope sonnie was compensated well, but I wonder why VS even bought it.

Edit: I was trying to quote Jim. Kinda chopped it up.
Edit 2: All better now.

Last edited by theJman; 12-01-15 at 10:16 PM. Reason: Fixed quoting issue
post #57 of 62 Old 12-01-15, 08:07 PM
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System
VS is in communication - they are aware of concerns and are looking for remedies. Hang in there, guys. Hopefully we'll have some good news heading into the new year.
post #58 of 62 Old 12-01-15, 08:24 PM
Elite Shackster

Jeff

My System
Quote:
Todd Anderson wrote: View Post
VS is in communication - they are aware of concerns and are looking for remedies. Hang in there, guys. Hopefully we'll have some good news heading into the new year.
Sounds encouraging Todd. Step up VS!
post #59 of 62 Old 12-01-15, 10:31 PM
Elite Shackster
Quenten

My System

Well it may not be the best advice, but I suggest discussing it with Sonnie first. He still is an administrator so he shouldn't have a problem offing advice to VS. Just a suggestion from a simple country boy livin in a city!
post #60 of 62 Old 12-02-15, 10:05 PM
Elite Shackster

My System

Will miss you Mechman, it was you and others to include the Great Sonnie who provided me all the knowledge and great advice which resulted in my Home theater build.
It is true that the site has waned away....since the Great ones departure. I used to log on 6-7 times a day to read articles and to respond back to others questions. I enjoyed it and it felt like a great place to be. Now days I am lucky if i log in once a month....muddle around a few seconds and log out...

Home Theater System Denon AVR4520CI, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 2, Polk CSi A6 Center, Polk RTi A9 Front, Polk RTi A7 Front Wide, Polk RTi A1 Front Height, Polk FXi A6 Side, Polk RTi A3 Rear, SVS PB12-NSD x2 Front, SVS PC12-NSD x2 Rear, Panasonic PT-AE7000U, Visual Apex CineWhite 100" Screen, PS4, Dish Hopper, Darbee Darblet DVP 5000.My Home Theater Build http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...ter-build.html