Congrats to our LAVA LSP12 Subwoofer Winner! - Page 3 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #21 of 26 Old 04-14-11, 04:13 PM
Senior Shackster
mrbashfo

Re: Congrats to our LAVA LSP12 Subwoofer Winner!

Congrats on winning this beast of a sub!

Main Home Audio/Video System Equipment List
Electronics- Marantz SR5005, Crown XLS 202D X3, Crown XLS 402D
Speakers - DIY Center, Polk RTI 12s, Polk T15s, MFW-15
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 26 Old 04-14-11, 08:34 PM
Elite Shackster
Mike

My System

Thanks for all the congrats!

Good luck to the rest of you on winning all the other cool stuff coming up!
post #23 of 26 Old 04-19-11, 12:05 AM
Shackster

Excellent! Congrats!
post #24 of 26 Old 04-19-11, 06:46 PM
Elite Shackster
Mike

My System

Thanks SongJohn.

The sub arrived and I will post some pics later on tonight when I get home.

Thanks again to the Home Theater Shack
post #25 of 26 Old 04-19-11, 08:16 PM
Elite Shackster
Mike

My System

First off I would also like to thank the fine people at Lava subs for providing this fine subwoofer for the contest. I unintentionally thanked everyone else but them, just an oversight on my part but thanks again to Lava

I just got home but the good camera was borrowed by a friend so I had to use the camera in my phone for the unveil. Excuse the shody pics in advance.

I really am impressed by the fit and finish of this sub especially considering the the price Lava sells them for. If I didn't already know before hand I would have guessed a lot more, a dual ported 12" powered sub with a really nice finish for how much The packaging was also really good and the sub arrived in perfect condition which is reassuring.

I plan on giving it a listen tonight but the real demo session will be this weekend and I will have my camera back by then. I will start up a new thread once It has broken in more so I can apply some EQ and really give it a listen. I am thinking a couple of weeks should be good but I do plan on giving it a good listen fresh out of the box as well so I have a good all around feel for the sub.

Once again thanks to everyone for the congrats, thanks to Sonnie and the entire HTS team and thanks to Lava for a cool sub
post #26 of 26 Old 04-20-11, 01:27 PM
Elite Shackster
Mike

My System

Some quick first impressions from listening last night.

I plugged into my main system directly to the processor by-passing my SMS-1 just so I can see what it does on it's own. I didn't place it in my normal sub spot but rather behind my main LP as I know this sub has the majority of it's bass in the 30hz range. I have tried a few of my DIY designs in this location and it works well for a single sub in my large room. I then calibrated the levels and checked the response with the SMS-1 to dial in the phase, the response was pretty good for no EQ. I then popped in Steely Dan's Goucho on DVD-A since it is a disc which has surprisingly good bass.

First listening impression, after 2 minutes I went back and checked my settings, not that it was bad but I was surprised at how good it was. I thought maybe I just had low expectations as this sub is a steal at the price but I had just finished building my first DIY sub with a port and dual 10" drivers and it sounded better. I went back and listened to my DIY ported in the same spot and the Lava did sound better but the levels on my DIY were lower so I corrected it and listened again. My DIY sounded better than before but it was missing some of the snap of the Lava so I went back and the Lava did have more mid-bass punch. I looked at the response of both subs with the SMS-1 and my DIY does dig deeper which was how it was designed but it also a lot larger as well.

The Lava is basically sitting in the middle of a nearly 4,000 cuft room so the only boundary compensation it has is the floor, the results are surprising to say the least.

From a certified bass head (can you tell by my username) I am very impressed with how Lava can make such a competent sub for the price and that includes shipping!

I am going to listen to it a lot more and let it loosen up a bit before moving it to the loft system which is much more bass friendly than the big room. From there I will start a new thread and even run some comparison's to some DIY designs that fall into the same price category, sorry but no Lava vs LMS Ultra comparisons