AXPONA 2013 Official Show Report by Joe Alexander of HTS - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com
Home Theater Shack Forums
OPPO Digital - Universal Network 3D Blu-ray Players - Buy Direct from the Manufacturer Chane Music & Cinema Madisound Value Electronics: A trusted retailer and custom installer that specializes in whole-house audio, home theater, Plasma, LCD, LED, HDTVs, Blu-ray and more. Genelec: Active Speakers and Speaker Systems Audio General, Inc.: Great deals on projectors, screens and electronics. Underwood HiFi - Excellent discounts on some awesome name brands. Power Sound Audio designs, develops, and assembles high quality loudspeakers and subwoofers for home theater environments. Visual Apex: The most competitive pricing for home theater projectors... and built on customer satisfaction! SVSound Creative Sound Solutions: Loudspeaker kits and components for subwoofers, midwoofers, woofers and full range speakers! XTZ Sound Marantz Standout Design

Like Us on facebookREW
Go Back   Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com > General Shack Area > Forum Announcements | News
Forgot Password?
Donations Reviews Vendors

Closed Thread     Post New Thread
Views: 53342 - Replies: 46  
Old 03-09-13, 11:09 PM   #11
HTS Moderator

Joe
Since: Oct 2011
Madison, WI
My System
I started this thread.
Re: AXPONA 2013 Show Report by Joe Alexander of HTS

I am going to go slightly out of order now as I thought a few of you horn guys would love to see these!

The configuration:

Equipment Components Description
Classic Audio Loudspeakers Hartsfield with Field Coil Drivers $59,950
 T-3.4 with Field Coil Front Woofer and Midrange Drivers $44,990
Atma-Sphere MP-1MK3.2 Preamp with Phono $12,100
  MA-1.5 Novacron Power Amps $12,000 / pair
Tri-Planar Tonearms Ultimate 12 $9,800
  MKVII UII $6,200
Stahl-Tek Ariaa DAC w/remote $12,900
Audio-Note Ankoru II 211 Mono Block Power Amp $46,000
Purist Audio Design Genesis Interconnects and Speaker Cables, Vesta & Musaeus Power Cords, Purist Ultimate USB cable and Aquila Digital AC Power cable $7,500

A few photos:

These are the T-3.4s:

A closer view of the horn port:

This is one of the two Hartsfields:

Here is a closer view of the front stage components:

First, the Stahl-Tek Ariaa DAC is able to stream bit perfect audio up to 24-bit at 192 kHz and supports sampling rates from 44.1 kHz to 192 kHz. It has a remote control with volume adjustment and supports the following digital formats: I2S, SPDIF, AES/EBU and USB 2.0 (asynchronous). I sat and chatted with the rep for a fair bit and we played various tracks in different formats and you just could not tell the difference - great performer!

John from Classic Audio was long enamoured with the original Hartsfield speaker system, but discovered that they were out of production in 1964. Through the 70's and 80's, most of these units that became available were exported overseas. It was then that he decided to build a reproduction Hartsfield. These have a nominal impedance of 16 ohms with a shipping weight of 400 lbs each!

The T-3.4 employs 2 15" woofers - one is front-firing for upper bass and the other is floor-firing for 20 Hz extension. The 4" diameter beryllium disphragm is loaded into the 6475 2" throat field coil compression driver to provide articulate vocals and music. Last, the super-tweeter is added to give a feel of air and openness without any fatugue. These also have a nominal impedence of 16 ohms with a shipping weight of 350 lbs each.

The Hartsfields were going when I came in. The cabinet has a gorgeous finish (other finishes are available as well) and they were placed directly in the corners. The first thing I noticed was the clarity of the vocals - crystal clear. That continued on to the instrumental tracks as well. In comparison to the T-3.4, the bass was a bit less, but then it was not designed to go as low.

I loved the finish on the T-3.4s as well, but what really struck me was how well they imaged. I just could not localize the speakers at all - with eyes closed, if I had to point to where the person was "singing" from, I would have pointed directly in the middle of those two speakers. The only horn-based speaker I have previously heard were the Klipsch RF-62s and to me they were just too bright. These were the polar opposite - I was probably in that room for an hour and I did not have any sense of fatigue at all. Also, their ability to really dig deep while not getting too boomy (there was no treatment in this room) was a delight. Clarity you ask? Off the charts - again, I love being able to hear all those little sounds - the pluck of a pick on a string, the ping of the cymbal - and I could hear each breath the artist took.

If you cannot tell by the above, this was one of my two best experiences of the day. Well done!

Forum Rules
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-13, 11:43 PM   #12
HTS Moderator

Joe
Madison, WI
My System
I started this thread.

Quote:
ALMFamily wrote: View Post
Next up was the Legacy Audio / Morrow Cables room. I actually spent part of the first hour of Saturday in this room as well as I wanted to get a bit more listening time in on the Whispers.

There were two separate setups with 2 different speakers in each setup. Here are those configurations:

Setup Components MSRP
Setup 1 Legacy Aeris in Sapele Pommele finish $17,750
 Legacy Signature SE in Rosewood finish $6,450
 CODA CSX Amplifier $6,000
 CODA CP Pre-Amplifier $3,500
 Ayon CD 2S $6,350
 Speaker Cables SP7 Grand Reference $1,499 / pair
 Interconnects MA6 Grand Reference $899 / pair
Setup 2 Legacy Whisper XD in Ribbon Mahogany finish $21,500
 Legacy Focus SE in Black Pearl finish $9,650
 CODA CSX Amplifier $6,000
 CODA CP Pre-Amplifier $3,500
 OPPO BDP-105 $1,199
 Speaker Cables SP7 Grand Reference $1,499 / pair
 Interconnects MA6 Grand Reference $899 / pair

All four of these speaker use the new dual Air Motion tweeter which allows them to extend bandwidth and dynamics due to the premium grade Neodymium magnetics and Kapton diaphragms which are stable to 750 degrees farenheit. To construct the tweeter, a 16" square piece of Kapton is folded into a 4" long, 1" wide chamber. This tweeter is mounted on the same faceplate as the complementary 1" AMT ribbon super-tweeter to give more uniform dispersion which gives the treble more weight and natural fullness.

Here are a few pictures:

These are the Whisper and Signature speakers - notice the very unique design of the Whisper:

Here is a picture of the back of the Whisper. The open design of the back really allowed you to move around the room and not really lose the soundfield:

Another view of the Whisper and Signature:

The Aeris and Focus speakers:

Here is a side view of the Aeris. What the picture does not show is that the panel on the side is opaque and there is a low level green glow eminating from inside the speaker where you can see some of the inner components:

I did not get to hear the Whispers very much - what I was able to glean from the time I had was a very wide soundstage with little to no degradation off axis, excellent dynamic range, and excellent clarity and detail.

The Aeris speakers have a very unique design and a beautiful finish. These also had fantastic dynamic range - no doubt a function of the Air Motion tweeter - with very crisp, clear vocals. During one track, there was a bass guitar playing with vocals and I was still able to hear a triangle being struck plain as day. On a different track, you could actually hear the pluck of the pick against the guitar string! Still another track provided some horn action - no desire to cringe when they were played - just excellent detail and clarity. The low end was fantastic as well - extremely tight bass.

I actually had a marvelous opportunity to speak with Bill Dudleston himself. He showed me the XP-4080 DSP they were using to do all room EQ and the software that allowed you to tweak specific points and immeadiately save them. It allows up to 30 different configurations - very neat piece of equipment.
I should add that I also had a great conversation with Larry from Morrow Cables about some of the things he is doing and had a great give-and-take on the current state and direction of listening to music in its many formats. Great guy!

Forum Rules
Old 03-09-13, 11:46 PM   #13
HTS Moderator

Joe
Madison, WI
My System
I started this thread.

On to the Venture Grand Ultimate MK II speakers!

A couple photos:

Up close:

A side view:

This room was treated, and, unfortunately, I was not able to get an idea of the gear in play and the MSRP. The stated FR is 22 Hz - 60,000 Hz with a nominal impedence of 4 ohms. It employs one 2" AGC tweeter, one 7" CFGC Underhang midrange, and four 7" CFGC woofers and weighs in at 175 lbs each.

The speaker had very good dymamic range - I especially liked the snap of the drums. It had one of the widest soundstages I heard for the day - there was no real degradation in the soundfield off axis. It handles females vocals with aplomb - one track in particular stood out for me where the vocalist has amazing range and this speaker just kept right up. There was also a track that had an interesting drum / violin sequence which also showed off this speaker's range.

Please use the AXPONA 2013 Discussion / Comments thread for questions and comments.

Last edited by ALMFamily; 03-15-13 at 11:49 PM.. Reason: added link to discussion thread

Forum Rules
Old 03-10-13, 09:09 AM   #14
HTS Moderator

Joe
Madison, WI
My System
I started this thread.

I progressed on to the next Venture speaker - the Ultimate Reference speaker. A couple photos:

A view from the side - this is the Makassar Ebony finish:

The signage - as you can see, the Venture Pure Class A V200A+ amps are in use:

The Ultimate Reference speakers have one 1.5" Abaca based graphite composite (AGC) tweeter, one 5" graphite composite (CFGC) midrange, and three 7" AGC woofers using a first order crossover. They have a stated FR of 26 Hz - 40,000 Hz with a nominal impedence of 6 ohms and weigh in at a hefty 152 lbs each. Other available finishes include Rosewood, Elm Burl, Piano Black and Pearl White. The MSRP is $145,000.

Again, the finish on these is beautiful - it also has a bit of shape to it (C shaped cabinet) rather than your standard rectangle which gives it some personality. I was immeadiately struck by the dynamic range and clarity of these speakers - cymbols were very crisp and you could hear that wonderful ping of it being struck. Male and female vocals were incredible - they really picked out a couple of great tracks to show off the ability of these speakers to handle tonal changes. There was excellent separation of instruments - if you closed your eyes, you felt you could point to where each musician would be sitting and the soundstage off axis had very little degradation as I had difficulty localizing the speaker even when standing on the far right side of the room. The horns and piano were both excellent as well - no discomfort when the horns really started to dominate the track and you could hear the piano's keys being struck.

What probably stood out most from the speakers for me was the clarity of the wind instruments and the clean low end. It is not often that when I hear a wind instrument I know exactly what it is - with these speakers, I could really tell the difference. And, this again was one of those speakers that you would have sworn was crossed over to a sub - just great clean, tight bass. I do recall thinking that these speakers would be best suited for a larger room and would have no issue filling that room with fantastic sound.

Last edited by ALMFamily; 03-15-13 at 11:50 PM.. Reason: added link to discussion thread

Forum Rules
Old 03-11-13, 12:46 PM   #15
HTS Moderator

Joe
Madison, WI
My System
I started this thread.

Next up was the Orion-4 / George-Warren room. A few photos:

The George-Warren turntable:

The setup:

A closer look at the Orion-4:

Here is the system configuration:

Equipment Description MSRP
Orion-4 Speakers Bubinga finish with Ebony trim $15,150
Orion-4 cables 10' speaker cable pair with Rhodium spade connectors $570
Music Server Intel PC running JRiver Media Center 18 @$1,000
MSB The Analog DAC With optional analog volume control $7,990
Pass Labs XP-20 Pre-Amp 2 chassis preamp $8,600
Pass labs X250.5 Amp drives the four Orion-4 woofers $8,250
Pass Labs XA30.5 Class A Amp (2) drives the midrange and tweeters $11,000
DH Labs cables BL-1 Series II RCA Interconnects (4) $520
DH Labs cables BL-1 Series II XLR - 6 meter $350
DH Labs cables Power Plus AC Power Cord $255
DH Labs cables Encore AC Power Cable (2) $252
DH Labs cables Silver Sonic Max Bandwidth USB $70
George-Warren Hardwood turntable $4,850

The Orion-4s are a Siegfried Linkwitz designed open baffle speaker using two Seas L26RO4Y woofers, one Seas W22EX001 midrange, and two T25CF002 tweeters crossed over at 90 Hz and 1440 Hz. A new refinement on the Orion-4s prior to the show was performed on the Linkwitz Analog Signal Processor/Active Crossover (ASP) to improve the frequency crossover values and component tolerances. These refinements provide an overall smoother frequency response and more clarity as the outputs of both channels are more evenly matched.

The suggested room size for these speakers is at least 14'x20'x8' (WxDxH) positioned 3' from the rear wall and 2' from the side walls and now I understand why. When I moved around to look at the finish of the speaker and the back side, there was absolutely no degradation in the soundfield - at all! The design allows you to really sit anywhere and enjoy the same level of detail. Stand up; it did not matter, the soundfield was the EXACT same - amazing. When I came into the room, there was a female vocal track playing that showed just how dynamic these speakers are - quiet as well as at volume. The detail provided by the speakers was equally as impressive as all the little sound nuances could be heard - and that was true no matter where you were in the room. Plus, the small footprint shocks you - if I went in blindfolded and had them revealed after listening, I would have sworn they were much larger.

I had a chance to chat with Don Naples a bit - he is the owner of Wood Artistry, LLC and I must say that I just love sitting down and talking with a true enthusiast as you can see their face just light up when they talk about there passion. He explained how they were built as well as chatted about a new concept from Siegfried for evaluating audio playback using symbols to represent certain measureables - very interesting stuff.

They also had a prototype multi-channel amplifier with integrated ASP on hand that simplifies the connection for these speakers. New owners can choose between a single or dual chassis configuration that contains the ASP and amplification needed to drive all the Orion-4 drivers. I had planned to try to make it back on Sunday to hear this amp in use, but unfortunately I was not able to get there.

The George-Warren turntable has a very unique design and the hardwood finish on this particular model was just gorgeous. It is powered by a Maxon DC motor and controlled by an "intelligent" closed loop feedback system that allows speed information to be taken directly from the platter to maintain precise platter speed automatically. It has 33.3 and 45 rpm speeds with a clean function for use with a record brush. However, the foundation of the turntable is the decoupling between the top plinth and bottom plinth (split plinth design as George calls it) that eliminates vibrations from external sources resulting in smoother sound.

As I said earlier, I am not a vinyl person, but having an opportunity to hear a system such as this one, I can definitely see now what has so many enamoured with vinyl.

Edit: No room treatment was used in this setup.

Last edited by ALMFamily; 03-15-13 at 11:51 PM.. Reason: added link to discussion thread

Forum Rules
Old 03-11-13, 02:01 PM   #16
HTS Moderator

Joe
Madison, WI
My System
I started this thread.

The Von Schweikert VR-100XS Universe system was next - a few photos:

The front wall:

A close up of one of the towers - front view:

The back of the same tower - notice the drivers on the back:

A closer view of the system components:

The system configuration:

Equipment Components MSRP
Source HD Ref 3 Limited Edition Music Server System $14,500
DAC EMM Labs DAC 2X $15,000
Pre-Amp Purity Audio Ultra GT $53,000
Bi-Amplification Upper Frequencies (amp) KR Amplifiers SXi MKII Integrated $21,000
Bi-Amplification Lower Frequencies (amp) Channel Island Audio D200 MKII $3,500 / pair
Speakers Von Schweikert Audio VR-100SX Universe system (includes VR-11 MKII towers and 2 EX V15 subs) $140,000
 Note: display system had 4 EX V15 Subs $10,000 each
Speaker cables MasterBuilt Signature Series $7,500 / pair
Interconnect cables MasterBuilt Signature Series $3,600 / pair
Power cables MasterBuilt Signature Series $6,200 each
Dual-Headed Powered USB cable MasterBuilt Signature Series $4,000 each
Equipment rack Critical Mass Systems Maxxum $37,000

First thing to note - GIK supplied all the treatments for this room!

The VR-11 MKII towers use two 15″ Kevlar-Nomex honeycomb woofers, four 8.5″ magnesium mid-basses, two 7″ carbon Kevlar-cellulose Aerogel midrange drivers, two 1.5″ dual-concentric silk ring tweeters, and two 5″ aluminum ribbon supertweeters with all drivers using a proprietary Advanced Motor System with low distortion design. The tower also has a rear-firing 5" aluminum ribbon. They have a stated FR of 10Hz - 100,000 Hz and sensitivity of 99 db when the subwoofer and supertweeter boosts are engaged with a nominal impedence of 8 ohms and weigh in at a massive 700 lbs - each! All the drivers are designed to work on the same frequency impulse so that they blend seamlessly.

This is probably the one system of the day that when I walked into the room, I stopped and said "Woah". I am pretty certain they reserved either two conference rooms opened up or one big room, and it still seemed small with the towers and subs all set up. I sat down and started listening after snapping a few photos and noticed almost right away that the dynamic range for this system was just astounding. Then, as I continued to listen, I was equally awed by the midrange punch that was squeaky clean and crisp as well. Now, add in a good THWUMP in the low end. If that was not enough, I could then start to pick out the little details - the piano keystroke, the ping of the cymbol.... I was simply amazed at all this wrapped into one system.

Then, one of the exhibitors stopped by to chat and I explained my experience so far. I had to raise my voice as it was louder than I thought it was - always a good sign IMO. He said "Get up and move around the room". Well, what I discovered was that it did not matter where I stood in the room - the soundfield AND LPE were virtually the exact same. I sat back down and told him what I thought I heard - and he said "That is right - it is within 1db all around the room". Imagine that. As you may be able to surmise, this was my top performer of the day.

The good news - they make less expensive speakers as well. The VR-33s can be had for $4,500 MSRP - check them out here.

Last edited by ALMFamily; 03-11-13 at 06:51 PM.. Reason: updated to include cost of rack

Forum Rules
Old 03-11-13, 05:13 PM   #17
HTS Moderator

Joe
Madison, WI
My System
I started this thread.

My last stop of the day was at an exhibitor's room whose products I was familiar with - Salk Sound. The system equipment was provided by Audio by Van Alstine. Here are a few photos:

Jim Salk brought three speakers - the Supercharged Songtowers (in white), the Soundscape 8s, and the Salk Silk Bookshelfs:

A closer view:

The system configuration included:

Equipment Component MSRP
Source Salk StreamPlayer $1,299
DAC AVA Fet Valve Hybrid DAC $2,499
Preamp Fet Valve Hybrid Preamplifier $2,499
Amp AVA Fet Valve 600R $3,499
Interconnects Various
Speaker cables Salk custom NFS
ABX Switch AVA prototype $1,499

The Soundscape 8s use the RAAL tweeter, an Accuton midrange, two custom 8" long-throw woofers, and two 12" passive radiators. The stated FR is 25 Hz - 60,000 Hz with a sensitivity of 87 db. Next, the Supercharged Songtowers use a RAAL tweeter and two Seas Excel W15 mid-woofers. The stated FR is 34 Hz - 20,000 Hz with a sensitivity of 88 db. Last, the Salk Silks use a RAAL tweeter and a Scanspeak Illuminator woofer. They are a new speaker that actually is not listed on the website yet.

For those that do not know already, my dedicated room currently uses all Salk speakers - QWT Songtowers, the SongCenter, and 4 SongSurround Is. I have also heard the Songtowers with a RAAL tweeter, the Veracity HT2-TLs and the Soundscape 12s. So, I was really looking forward to hearing some of Jim's other speakers. And, as expected, they did not disappoint. The dynamic range of each of these speakers is quite impressive - if I did not see the entire room, I would have sworn the Silk monitor was crossed to a sub! All of the speakers have the RAAL tweeters, which is synonymous with clarity and detail - you can hear every minute detail. Plus, if you have seen a Salk speaker, you know I do not need to mention the beautiful finishes each of these speakers receive.

The MSRP of the Silks starts at $3,499, the Supercharged Songtowers start at $3,495, and the Soundscape 8s start at $7,995.

As I am very familiar with the sound of Salk speakers, most of my time in this room was spent talking with Frank Van Alstine. The two units we talked about are both really new - the ABX Switch Unit and the Humdinger. The ABX switch unit (MSRP $1500) allows a user to have 2 sets of speakers, 2 amps, 2 pre-amps and a source all hooked up at the same time. A couple applications we discussed were using it in a "blind" test mode to test the differences in speakers, amps, or cables without have to continually physically swap cables - it is merely the push of a button on the remote. It also uses a random number generator to allow for true "blind" testing. The unit can also be used by a speaker builder to compare speakers where a manufacturing tweak has been made to one to gauge the effects of said change. The Humdinger unit (MSRP $125) is a DC offset unit that removes DC from an AC circuit to remove potentially damaging DC before it reaches your equipment. The unit on display had all the equipment plugged into it.

Last edited by ALMFamily; 03-15-13 at 11:52 PM.. Reason: added link to discussion thread

Forum Rules
Old 03-11-13, 10:10 PM   #18
HTS Moderator

Joe
Madison, WI
My System
I started this thread.

One of the "hey, that is different!" pieces I saw on Saturday morning was the Intuition 01 from Wadia Digital - it is a Dac and Amplifier all in one package:

Top view with curtains open:

Front view - you can see here the gap underneath. The unit pulls air up from underneath for cooling and then vents it out both sides:

Top view with curtains drawn - nice illuminated effect:

Set up:

It is a two channel Class D+ amplifier that delivers 350W at 4 ohms per channel with 1% THD. On the DAC side, it focuses on the digital inputs with 192 kHz / 24 bit resolution for coaxial, optical and AES as well as 384 kHz / 32 bit via USB. It also has two analog inputs and offers native DSD playback via USB.

It had been running since Thursday afternoon, and when I hovered my hand over it, it was throwing off very little heat. I did not sit down for a full speaker review since it was more about the Intuition 01, but I was impressed with its ability to drive the speakers and remain relatively cool all while seconding as a DAC. Very ingenious idea and a great space saver!

It is a prototype that will likely come to market later this summer for an MSRP of $7,500.

Last edited by ALMFamily; 03-11-13 at 10:21 PM.. Reason: added link

Forum Rules
Old 03-11-13, 11:32 PM   #19
HTS Moderator

Joe
Madison, WI
My System
I started this thread.

Also on Saturday morning, I checked out the Herron Audio / VPI Industries room. A couple photos:

The front wall:

A side view of the speaker:

The equipment rack:

The system configuration:

Equipment Components MSRP
Vacuum Tube Stereo Pre-Amp Herron Audio VTSP-3A (r02) $6,550
Vacuum Tube Phono Stage Herron Audio VTPH-2 $3,650
Monoaural Amplifiers Herron Audio M1A $6,850 / pair
Interconnect Cables Herron Audio $225 / 1 meter pair + $25 each additional meter
Speakers IB speakers are a prototype TBD (initial thinking is $18,000 - $20,000)
Turntable VPI Classic 3 in rosewood $6,000
 VPI SDS Motor Drive $1,200
DAC Herron Audio Prototype - CD 16 bit/44.1 kHz PCM to DSD conversion Tascum 200SB CD Transport not for sale

The Herron VTPH-2 Vacuum Tube Phono Preamp was created after demand for the original design (VTPH-1) was so high - it is based on the original design with some refinements and has some additional features and performance enhancements. It has two operating modes - moving coil and moving magnet each of which has separate input connectors. It uses Class A operation with a Toroidal power transformer and has a 15 second mute function during mode change. The appearance is very unassuming with a solid chassis design and only 3 LEDs on the front - it is built to blend into a system.

The Herron speakers (yet to be named) have a standard rectangle design and a nice simple finish - it did not create a "wow!" effect for me, but grew on me with their simple elegance the more I looked at them. They use two woofers, one midrange, and one tweeter and have a same-polarity design meaning they are not wired out of phase. The detail and clarity were fantastic - I was able to discern every instrument in the orchestral track. Also, during that track, I closed my eyes and while listening could point to the exact location where I felt each musician would be sitting in the arrangement - very, very satisfying. Mids and low end did not stand out for me - the mid lacked the punch I crave. All in all, a good speaker, but I felt I could find a better match for my preferences at a lower price point.

Please use the AXPONA 2013 Discussion / Comments thread for questions and comments.

Last edited by ALMFamily; 03-15-13 at 11:54 PM.. Reason: added link to discussion thread

Forum Rules
Old 03-12-13, 12:38 AM   #20
HTS Moderator

Joe
Madison, WI
My System
I started this thread.

Madisound - one of our sponsors here at HTS - was a fun thirty minutes or so for me. Here are a few photos:

Hello Madisound!

One table that was displaying crossovers:

A whole table just loaded up with drivers!:

The two speakers that were built from Madisound kits:

The two speakers that were built were the SEAS A26 kit and the Scan-speak NADA kit - the SEAS A26s are the inside pair. The SEAS A26 uses the SEAS A26RE4 woofer and the T35C001 tweeter and have a design based on the well-known Dynaco A25 loudspeaker which was first introduced in 1969. The MSRP for the SEAS A26 kit is $1177.

I sat down for a listen and noticed right off that these monitors sounded bigger than they were - always a plus in a monitor in my opinion. They also imaged really well - eyes closed or open, you really felt the vocalist was standing in the middle of the speakers. I got up and moved around a bit to check the soundfield and discovered very little degradation off axis - pretty impressive for a monitor. We then got up close and personal with the speaker and took a closer look at how they are built - it looks like a pretty straightforward project which is perfect for the new builder and the end result is a great little monitor.

What made this such a great experience for me was the guys - I could tell they were just thoroughly enjoying themselves and it was really infectious. And, the great news - they are a mere 25 minute drive to the other side of town for me. Plan on seeing me drop in soon guys to start developing my building chops!

The room used no room treatment.

Forum Rules
 Closed Thread     Post New Thread     Back to Top of Page

Musicians Friend: Your one stop shop for microphones, mic amps and Behringer products.   Cmple   Monoprice Electronics   Amazon   Velodyne Check out the Woot product for today!

Onkyo   GIK Acoustics: Home audio acoustics at its best... especially when you have help from the owners right here at the Shack!  Check out their very affordable acoustic panels!   Nyrius   Aperion Audio   Axiom Audio  Parts Express: Excellent Source for DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Projects!

« Home Theater Shack > General Shack Area > Forum Announcements | News »

« Previous Thread   Next Thread »