2013 Capital AudioFest Official Show Report by Joe Alexander - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

Closed Thread

post #11 of 20 Old 08-11-13, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System
Re: 2013 Capital AudioFest Official Show Report by Joe Alexander

First thing Saturday morning, Sonnie and I visited the SVS room.

I have had a chance to hear the SVS Ultras before at the GTG in Iowa this past April - you can check out my thoughts here. Plus, I currently own two PB-13 Ultras.

The two channel system setup in this room included:

Equipment Component MSRP
Speakers SVS Ultra Towers $1,999
Amp Mark Levinson 532h 300 watt / ch dual mono power amp $9,000
Preamp Mark Levinson 26 dual mono preamp $6,500
Power Mark Levinson PLS 226 power supply  
Source Rotel RCD 1570 CD player $1,000
Cables Van den hul, SVS, and Monster cables

The home theater setup in this room included:

Equipment Component
Source Integra 50.3 Player  
Speakers SVS Home Theater - Ultras, Ultra Center, Ultra Duets, PB-13 Ultras @$6,400 as shown
AVR Integra 80.3

First off, a few pictures:

The front wall for the 2 channel setup:

The front wall for the home theater setup:

A closer view of the speakers:

The inside of the PB-13 Ultra:

Background / Specifications:

SV Sound builds all of their products in Ohio, but they have people based in many parts of the US. Many thanks to Dan Marks for taking extra time to chat with Sonnie and I - we both walked away with a better understanding of SVS as a whole.

The SVS Ultras use a 1" aluminum-dome tweeter, two 6.5" midrange drivers with composite glass-fiber cones, and two 8" side-firing horizontally opposed SVS woofers. They have a stated FR of 28 Hz - 32 kHz with a nominal impedance of 8 ohms, sensitivity of 88 dB , and weigh about 75 lbs a piece.

Thoughts / Impressions:

Again, for thoughts and impressions from a prior listening experience, click here.

I started out by listening to the 2 channel setup, and noticed right off that they image very well from the PLP, but as I moved from the PLP, I was able to localize the speakers and noticed a slight degradation of the soundfield off-axis. As for the low end, I came away from this experience with a better appreciation for the Ultras presentation - it was not boomy at all like it was the previous time I heard them - there was no room treatment at that listening session. The low end was definitely heard, but at no point during the session did I feel they overpowered the vocals or other instruments.

Instrument separation was very good - I was able to pick out each one clearly on the Flim and the BBs track. All the techno stuff on that track came across very crisp and clean - it was one of my toe-tapping moments over the weekend. Each pluck of the guitar was very apparent - I walked away from this experience feeling I got every ounce of detail on what we listened to. Vocal dynamics were handled extremely well - I thought they really shone on the female vocal track Sonnie brought along (Melody Gardot). Male vocal dynamics were handled good as well - I felt these speakers voiced really well.

We then went over to the home theater setup. There is nothing more for me to say on SVS subs that has not already been said before - great impact and clean to boot. What really stood out for me in this setup was the Tron sequence that was played - the surrounds presented information that I really do not think I had heard in any previous session.

All in all - a very impressive group of speakers made even more appealing due to their very affordable cost. Extremely well done SVS!!

Foam was placed at the first reflection points and behind the speakers on the wall.

Please use the Capital AudioFest 2013 Discussion / Comments thread for questions and comments.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 Old 08-12-13, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

Next up, we strolled on over to the Monitor Audio / IQ Home Entertainment room.

The system setup in this room included:

Equipment Component MSRP
Speakers Monitor Audio PL200s $9,000
Amp McIntosh MC302 $5,500
Preamp McIntosh C50 $6,500
Source Mcintosh MVP891 Video Player $6,000

The front wall:

A closer view of the gear:

Monitor Audio is a British manufacturer of a vast array of speakers. The PL200 speaker uses two 6.5" woofers and a single 4" midrange which both employ Monitor Audio's patented RDT technology as well as Monitor Audio's proprietary C-CAM ribbon transducer. They have a stated FR of 35 Hz - 100 Khz with a nominal impedance of 4 ohms, a sensitivity of 90 db, and weigh in at 72 lbs. They are available in three finishes - Santos Rosewood, Ebony, and Piano Black Gloss.

IQ Home Entertainment is a premier provider in the Fairfax, Virginia area for audio/video, home automation and integration services since 2009. Their AV products include AVRs, power amplifiers, integrated amplifiers, speakers and sound bars, DVD players, blu-ray players, HDTV’s including LCD and LED, headphones and more.

Thoughts / Impressions:

I like the design of the cabinet - the front baffle has a curved face that gives it a very smooth feel - and the finish on the cabinet was extremely well done.

The Platinum series PL200s image perfectly from the PLP - as a matter of fact, there was one track where I would have sworn that the vocalist was standing to the left of the left speaker! A very broad, deep soundstage to be sure, but as I moved from the PLP, the speakers were easier to localize.

The PL200s have a very open, airy sound - the ribbon tweeter at work undoubtly - that I personally enjoy in a speaker. The voicing of both male and female tracks had a very natural sound and the detail on tracks that included cymbols, piano, and guitars was superb. After doing several listening sessions of different types of speakers, I have come to expect this from ribbon tweeters and I was not disappointed here. Vocal dynamics were also excellent.

On the Flim and the BBs track (thanks Sonnie for bringing that one along!), the stick strikes showed off the great midrange of the PL200 - it definitely had that crisp snap I crave. That same track also displayed the speaker's ability to handle a very busy track and not lose the nuances. Low end was clean, but seemed to lack impact. Instrument separation was a bit muddy - however, this could have been an extension of the room - we were only about 4-5 feet from the speakers.

Overall, a great speaker - I would put it slightly below the Salk Soundscape 8s in pure performance.

No treatment was used in this room.

Please use the Capital AudioFest 2013 Discussion / Comments thread for questions and comments.
post #13 of 20 Old 08-12-13, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

Early Saturday afternoon, we visited the Odyssey Audio / GIK Acoustics room.

Equipment Component MSRP
Speakers Lorelei Loudspeakers $2,700
Amp Khartago Monoblocks (2) $1,800 / pair
Preamp Candela Preamp $1,500

The front wall:

A closer view of the GIK Acoustics Acoustics Panel:

Odyssey Audio is based in Indianapolis, Indiana and makes all their products in house. The Lorelei towers use a Scanspeak 1" dome tweeter and a Scanspeak 6.8" carbonfiber / graphite composite midwoofer. They have a stated FR of 32 Hz - 22 kHz with a nominal impedance of 6 ohms, a sensitivity of 89 dB, and weigh 95 lbs each.

Thoughts / Impressions:

I like seeing a speaker that gets away from the standard rectangle shape, and the Loreleis accomplished this by using a slightly sloped front baffle - nice touch there. The finish was nice, but it was not striking like some of the other speakers we saw over the weekend.

The Loreleis image perfectly - the vocalist seemed to be dead center behind the speaker line and instrument separation was spot on as all instruments could be picked out. The soundstage was deep and did not noticeably shift off-axis. Vocal dynamics were quite amazing - at one point, Klaus put on a Johnny Cash track that was recorded 2 weeks prior to his death. You could clearly hear the subtleties and weakness in his voice.

Piano, cymbol, and guitar tracks were extremely detailed - key strokes, cymbol strikes, and string plucks were easily apparent. Horns were very smooth with no feeling of tension or fatigue. When the Johnny Cash track came on, I was again very pleased with the sound of the guitar. Low end was incredibly impactful - I found myself looking for a sub several times as did Sonnie. We were very taken by the impact from a 7" woofer...

I was very impressed with this system - it was priced lower that several other systems that it outperformed in my opinion. Plus, the rack was made by Odyssey as well and weighed a solid 250 lbs - and was priced less than $1,000! Very nice system at very affordable prices - well done Odyssey!

Plants and several GIK Acoustics products were used for treating this room.

post #14 of 20 Old 08-12-13, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

Sonnie and I continued our day stopping by the Sonic Hemisphere (now Black Moon Audio) / Clayton Audio / Anticables room.

Sonic Hemisphere was at Axpona 2013 where I had a chance to hear the Fidelity Ones - check that out here.

Equipment Component MSRP
Speakers Black Moon Audio Fidelity Ones $5,750
Amp Clayton Audio M200 (2) $9,500 / each
Power Synapse 180 Power Blocks (2) $229
Source Oppo 105 (using the OPPO DACs)  
Cables Anticables speaker wires check site for pricing

The front wall:

Black Moon Audio is based very close to Chicago, IL. The Fidelity One uses a 1" Aluminum/Magnesium dome tweeter, a 7" Poly-weave composite midrange, and a 11" Nomex woofer. It has a stated FR of 29 Hz - 27,000 Hz with a sensitivity of 89 db. Black Moon also recently developed a custom power distribution center called the Synapse 180 that has 3 directional choices. These choices allow you to place the box against a wall, on the floor, or on your shelf which allows it to always keep stress off the cable connections. It can also act as a 90 degree adapter for those very stiff and difficult to route cables.

Clayton Audio is a St. Louis based company that produces reference quality Class A amplifiers. The M200 amp outputs 200W into 8 ohms and 400W into 4 ohms and weighs 45 lbs each.

Thoughts / Impressions:

Again, for thoughts / impressions on the Fidelity One speakers at Axpona, click here.

I still really like the design of the Fidelity Ones - the front baffle gives them a very artful appearance and the finish on this set is just beautiful. They image perfectly for vocals, but instruments seemed to emanate from the middle as well. As I moved from the PLP, I was able to localize the speakers a bit easier.

The low end was incredible - very clean and very impactful. The ping from the cymbols was good, and horns came across very well - no tension or fatigue experienced at all. There was a track that had a guitar / cymbol combo that displayed the Fidelity One's ability to handle a busier track - detail was still handled well. Male vocal dynamics were handled very well - I felt I got all the detail and nuances in the track. The midrange was good - but did not quite have the snap that I enjoy hearing.

Overall, I thought this was a good speaker - even more so if you are looking for a two channel setup that has the ability to emphasize the low end. I am intrigued by the Synapse 180 - and will likely touch base with BMA to check one out.

Plants and front / rear corner traps were used for treating this room.

post #15 of 20 Old 08-12-13, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

One of the more unique visits of the weekend was to the Miracle Audio room.

Equipment Component MSRP
Speakers Miracle Audio DiAne (2) $12,000 / pair
Subs Miracle Audio RoseAnn $1,450 / each
Stereo Preamp Miracle Audio Divinitive XR $6,000
Phono Preamp Miracle Audio Phonatic XR $6,200
Amp Miracle Audio Sub-Ultima $1,950 / each

The front wall:

A view of one of the speakers - notice the size:

A closer view of the sub:

Miracle Audio, which started in 1999, is located in College Point, New York. They manufacture electronics as well as in / on wall speakers. The DiAne speakers that were on display at CAF use four 8” Miracle Audio proprietary design low / mid woofers, eight 1/2” mid / high proprietary cone drivers, and two Planar super tweeters. They use a 4 way crossover and have a stated FR of 30 Hz - 22 kHz. The RoseAnn on wall sub uses two 10" drivers that have a nominal impedance of 4 ohms at 88 db and have a stated FR of 28 Hz - 300 Hz.

Thoughts / Impressions:

First off, you are struck by the uniqueness of these speakers - they are a true on wall speaker. The frame you see in the pictures above were only used since the hotel was a bit remiss to allow them to drill holes in the wall. The sub is on wall as well. I was awestruck by the size of these - by far the largest on wall I have ever seen. As far as the finish, they are made to be "WAF friendly" so the finish is made to blend in. With the lack of floor footprint and ability to blend into the decor, I would say these are a non-AV wife's dream.

We were able to get right to the PLP, and they image perfectly for vocals - right in the center. The first track had a series of cymbol crashes that was very crisp. As we sat and listened for a bit, I began to notice that imaging for instruments all seemed to fall right to the middle as well - there really was no separation. The Flim and the BBs track showed very nice midrange handling - stick strikes had that crisp thwack sound. As we continued to listen, I just did not get a sense of "energy" - there was no toe-tapping feeling at any point during the session. I just could not get a feeling of depth to the soundstage which I suppose should not come as a surprise as they are on walls.

In the end, I think they provided good sound and would really work well for a HT application, but in my opinion they just did not present enough depth and life to the music for a two channel system.

Corner traps were used for treating this room.

post #16 of 20 Old 08-14-13, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

Saturday in the mid-afternoon, Sonnie and I hit the Hifi Logic / Music First Audio room.

Equipment Component MSRP
Preamp Music First Audio Baby Reference $6,990
Amp Wells Audio Innamorata Stereo Power Amp $6,500
Phono Stage Miracle Audio Phonatic MC $5,200
Source Atma-Sphere M60 Music System $6,990
AudioSpace Reference 3.1 (300B) $4,000
Turntable Project 2-Xperience Basic+ (arm and cart) $1,000
DAC Resonessence Labs Invicta $4,995
CD Player Jaton CD1000 A-B $4,600
Speakers AudioSpace LS3/5A with SW-1 Subwoofer $2,890
Cables ZuAudio varies
Power Cables Kaplan Audio Cables varies
Power Conditioner Audience Power Conditioner - aR6-T $5,000

The front wall:

Closer views of the speaker:

Hifi Logic is a high end boutique audio retailer that is located in Mapleton, New Jersey. They have a room that has been designed to be very similar to your typical home listening room to give the potential customer the closest reproduction to their own room. The AudioSpace LS3/5A speaker has a stated FR of 70 Hz - 20 kHz with a nominal impedance of 11 ohms and a sensitivity of 82.5 db. The SW-1 subwoofer has a stated FR of 55 Hz - 120 Hz with a nominal impedance of 8 ohms and a sensitivity of 82.5 db.

Music First Audio is based in Hastings, UK and primarily hand builds preamp and phono stage amps.

Thoughts / Impressions:

The LS3/5A speakers have a very unassuming appearance - they have a smaller footprint so would work well for those with limited space. The finish was extremely well done, and my initial impression was much bigger sound than what I would have expected from them.

The first track we heard combined piano and cymbols - both were very clear and detailed and each was easily discernable. The sub is actually the lower portion of the speaker - it is two separate pieces. In the sub section, there is a 6" woofer that is angled 45 degrees toward the lower back portion of the cabinet. I was very pleased with the low end - clean with nice impact. The LS3/5As really had excellent detail - they had an open, natural sound that I normally associate with a ribbon tweeter - quite impressive.

They imaged perfectly for vocals and had a deep soundstage as well as very good instrument separation. Overall, I was very impressed with this setup - it was not one of my top three from the weekend, but it was at the top of my second "tier" of systems and outperformed several systems many times its cost.

post #17 of 20 Old 08-18-13, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

Saturday, Sonnie and I both wanted to check out an electrostat setup, so we visited the JansZen Electrostatic Speakers room.

Equipment Component MSRP
Speakers JansZen Model ZA2.1 $7,495
Amp Bryston Powerpac 120 $2,800 / pair
DAC exaSound e20 DAC

The front wall:

JansZen Loudspeaker, Ltd. was founded in 2005 by David A. Janszen, Arthur A. Janszen's elsest son. Arthur invented the first practical electrostatic high fidelity loudspeaker based on his academic research work in the 1940's, and by 1954, had refined, patented and begun manufacturing it for home audio.

The zA2.1 has a stated FR of 40 Hz - 22 kHz with a nominal impedance of 6 ohms, sensitivity of 87 db, and use a 2.5 way, WTW configuration.

Thoughts / Impressions:

The zA2.1 has a sloped front baffle - that design is really starting to grow on me - that gives it a very regal appearance. I also thought the finish was very simple and clean.

They imaged very well - instrument separation was spot on and vocal imaging was dead center with the vocalist sounding as if they were right behind the speaker line. The depth was not quite what I thought it would be, but there was a bump out along the wall that I think threw off the depth of the soundstage.

Vocal dynamics - both male and female - were handled extremely well. They did not quite have that open, airy sound I expected, but they were very close. I loved the sound of the piano - it had a very soft, smooth sound that was a treat to hear. The detail was incredible - I really felt I heard every nuance. The zA2.1s were very lively - if I closed my eyes, I felt like I was at a live performance. There was one track that had multiple vocalists that imaged beautifully.

Midrange was where these especially shined for me - they had that great mid punch and just snapped off each strike of the snare drum. Low end was very tight as well.

Overall, I was really impressed with the zA2.1s. They played really big and loud without seeming like they were loud. If I was building a two channel system today, these would definitely be on my radar - great job David!

post #18 of 20 Old 08-18-13, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

One of the last stops of the day on Saturday was the Merrill Audio Advanced Technology Labs / Sanders Sound Systems room.

Equipment Component MSRP
Speakers Sander Sound Systems Model 10c Hybrid Electrostats $14,000
Amp Merrill Audio Veritas monoblocks $12,000 / pair
DAC Lynx Hilo DAC $2,495
Preamp Seta Model L Plus Phono preamp $5,799

The front wall:

Closer views of the gear:

Sander Sounds Systems is a Colorado-based company owned and operated by Roger Sanders who has been building equipment for almost 40 years. The Model 10cs have a stated FR of 20 Hz - 27 kHz with a sensitivity of 94 db and weigh in at 52 lbs each.

The Veritas Monoblocks from Merrill Audio are Class D amplifiers that are based around the Hypex NCORE NC1200 circuitry. They can deliver 400W at 8 ohms and 700W at 4 ohms with a THD of 0.004% at 200W and a gain of 26db. They weigh in at 33 lbs each.

Thoughts / Impressions:

The Model 10c speakers have a nice finish and a very imposing look - a nice looking speaker all around. They image dead center for vocals, and instruments were easily distinguishable. The soundstage felt slightly behind the speakers with a nice deep, wide sound. Vocal dynamics were handled extremely well - I was very impressed with their open sound.

Every instrument was treated the same - great detail and just smooth and effortless. I was especially impressed with how they handled string instruments and the audible pluck from each one. The Model 10cs handled the busier Flim and the BBs track effortlessly - every nuance of the track came through clearly. That smooth sound just made these big speakers completely disappear - quite amazing given their size. Midrange punch was very crisp as well.

Overall, this was one of those speakers that just did not seem loud until you tried talking to the person sitting next to you - really like that in a speaker. Both of the electrostats Sonnie and I listened to over the weekend really showcased the wide soundstage with a natural sound that I expect from an electrostat. The Model 10c really is a great speaker - if you have the space, it is well worth the price.

post #19 of 20 Old 08-18-13, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

Last, but most certainly not least, was the Soundfield Audio / Kevin Kemp Audio room.

Equipment Component MSRP
Speakers Soundfield Audio VSF-T1 $3,500 / pair
Amp Audience Wavepower (2) $15,000 / pair
Preamp Audience Wavemaster $13,000
Power Conditioner Audience AR6-TSS $6,000
Power Conditioner Audience AR6-TS $5,000
Power Cable Audience AV24 $2,350
Cable Audience AV24SE 1M RCA $1,100 / each

The front wall:

Closer view of the speaker:

Soundfield Audio is based in Tampa, Florida and is owned and operated by AJ, whom I have met previously at Axpona 2013 and LSAF 2013. AJ brought the VSF-T1 speakers to CAF - these are the production version of the prototype AJ brought to LSAF. The VSF-T1s use a ribbon supertweeter (>15kHz), a planar midtweeter (1kHz - 15 kHz), two 8" midwoofers (60 Hz - 1 kHz), and two 12" active dipole subs which have a 300W amp for each sub. The final production version will also have a rear-firing ambiance driver that produces a much deeper, wider soundstage. They have a stated FR of 22 Hz - 40 kHz with a nominal impedance of 8 ohms, sensitivity of 93 db, and weigh in at 90 lbs each. They are 46"H X 10"W X 14"D and can be custom finished.

Thoughts / Impressions:

The VSF-T1s have a slightly sloped front baffle that gives them a more unique feel and the dark cherry finish was very simple and elegant. They image perfectly - vocals were dead center with very nice depth. The Melody Gardot track really showed off the open, natural sound of the speakers as well as their ability to handle a female vocal track with a large dynamic range.

Instruments were very easy to distinguish - cymbols had that excellent ping / splash sound, horns were smooth and enticing, and the piano track completed the trifecta - just incredible detail. Not to be outdone, the midrange really showed the VSF-T1s ability to provide a crisp, clean snap of the snare drum and the low end was tight and clean as well.

I went back on Sunday just to listen for my own pleasure - and what a pleasure it was. AJ threw a slew of different genres at the speakers, and they delivered in spades. For me, this was my best experience of the weekend. I am really looking forward to hearing these in their final production version as I am still in the market for a front stage for my own personal HT / music room, and the VSF-T1s really captivated me. AJ said he plans to build a center channel for them as well!

post #20 of 20 Old 08-18-13, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

And, with that, the show reports for CAF 2013 are complete!

Thank you everyone for continuing to follow along on these journeys - I hope you enjoy them as much as I love doing them.
Closed Thread