Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Screen help and guidance

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  foraye 
#1 ·
I need some help picking a screen for my new HT setup.
I've been trying to read as much as possible, but at this point I'm just reaching out for guidance and assistance because all of this is pretty new to me.

For starters, here is a snapshot of my media room and where the PJ and screen will be placed, as well as lighting, which will be in a completely controlled environment. There is only one window (right along the left side of the viewing area), but I will be able to black it out.

Walls and ceiling will be a dark charcoal color, and the cabinets and carpet will be a tan / brown color.
The projector is a Panasonic PT-AX200U, at a 14'7" throw distance, with about a 10' - 13' viewing distance.
I know that the AX200U is bright, and that it can be dimmed out using economic mode, but I'm not sure if that should steer me away from going towards a HP screen (I'm maxing out my projector and screen acronym knowledge here, so go easy on the replies! :p).

I wouldn't mind building a DIY screen, but if it winds up costing me $200 in tools and materials, I would rather just fork up $400 for a decent screen that's already built and ready to go. It doesn't need to be state-of-the-art, but I'm really just wanting to see if there is a budget solution out there that I can enjoy as a first-time PJ owner that doesn't drain my pockets.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated, and will weigh heavily on my purchase decisions.
If anyone needs extra info please let me know, I'll be happy to provide!

See less See more
#2 ·
I have the same projector with around the same throw and same max viewing distance.

This projector is like it was tailor made for Black Widow, and don't worry, you won't get anywhere near $200 if you go that route.

Trust me on this, whether you go with DIY or commercial, you don't need a HP (high power/high gain) screen.

#4 ·
Definitely take some time and read through the options that interest you and we can also answer questions about commercial screens and commercial screen paints. If you have any questions, just shout.

And I forgot... Welcome to the Shack!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.