Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Hang screen from ceiling (not a roll up screen)

10K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  Prof. 
#1 ·
Due to the layout of my living room I'm forced to hang a screen from the ceiling (there's a partial wall and a staircase behind the screen). My current plan is to build a wood frame and attach MDF board to it and a nice border, then paint it with Black Widow and hand it from the ceiling. Couple things I'm wondering about though.

Does anyone have any good ideas how to hand the screen and make it look nice? I'm looking for a finished build in look (or as close to it as possible). It will be about 20" from the ceiling. Also is there a better way of building a screen that can be painted and hung from a ceiling?

Thanks,
Harry

#2 ·
I do not have any experience with DIY screens ... but, I'm wondering: Is that the only place where you can install it??? ... you mentioned a partial wall and staircase behind the screen; is there any other wall where you can permanently place the screen without hanging??? :dontknow:

#3 ·
Nope. It's 10 x 20 foot living room with a large opening to the kitchen on one long wall (open concept), two doors to two rooms on the other long wall, a window on the back short wall and a staircase on the front short wall. So the only real way to lay it out is to put seating in front of the windows and project to where the stair case is. It's not the ideal room for a home theater but I can make it work :)

Harry

#8 ·
You're right, pictures might help ... we just bought the place so here's a picture from the listing. It's not the best quality, but it gives a good idea of what I'm trying to do. The screen will need to hang in front of the arched opening (there's a stair case in behind it, going down). Closing the opening off with drywall is unfortunately a no no. Also that arch has a small sil (sort of like a windows sil) so the screen will have to stick away from the wall, hence why I was thinking of hanging it from the ceiling. Although technically it could be hung from the wall if I can make sure it's a few inches away from it.

Thanks,
Harry

Attachments

#9 ·
If you have a huge budget (I am not sure if you can DIY such a screen) go for an acoustically transparent screen (e.g. screen research :spend:) and put the center speaker behind in the arched opening, and the fronts left and right from the screen. The left speaker might partially block the entrance though.... What seating distance are you thinking of?

#11 ·
Hi Harry,

You haven't said if this screen is going to be a permanent installation or one that you can take down easily.

It would also be nice to know what projector you are using (and if it is ceiling, shelf or table mounted) and how large a screen you intend on making. :)

Hanging a screen directly from the ceiling has always worried me; unless you can suspend it from the supporting members themselves, there is always the possibility of the connector pulling out of the ceiling - and that is something we certainly don't want.

IMO, the most invisible support system would be an extended "French cleat". Below is a YouTube video explaining what a French cleat system is. If you don't want to make them yourself (or don't have the tools), metal ones are available at many hardware and home improvement stores; although they may not be called French cleats, but something like "picture hangers", "mirror hangers" or somesuch.

YouTube - French Cleat

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.