Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Gray or High Gain for non light controlled room

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  jsegura3 
#1 · (Edited)
Just a quick question. Which is better in a room with somewhat poor light control ... a gray screen with 1.0 gain (Elite CineGray) or a high gain white screen with 1.8 gain (Elite PowerGain)?

Btw, my projector is a Mitsubishi HC1500 and the screen size I'm thinking of going with is 106". Seating distance is about 17'. Ceiling and walls are light colors so it's not ideal, but I'm trying to make the best of the situation. Most of the ambient light will be coming from windows behind the seating area. There will be blinds, etc., but it's hard to fully control sunlight during the day without making the living room look a little odd :) .

Thanks,
Harry

#2 ·
I have the HD1000, the HC1500 older brother, it's definitely a light cannon. I'm not a fan of medium/dark gray screens but in your situation it would probably be best. Black levels would suffer too much in your setup if you went with a high gain screen. Others may be able to give you more info.
Let us know how it works out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.