Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Newby Screen Help

Tags
newby screen
1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Harpmaker 
#1 ·
I am using an old Epson Powerlite 720c (1500 Lumens, 400:1 Contrast) and a screen of very thin acoustically transparent material I got on E-Bay a few years back. Actually this has worked quite well in a very dark room with about a 100 inch wide picture. I bought a blu-ray player (the projector says it does 1080i) and I seems to be having a contrast problem since the dark scenes seem to be dark and/or washed out. I was thinking of a new projector - which I can't afford but then I thought maybe a new screen would help. I like the acoustically transparent material since I have a speaker behind it but I could move the speaker if necessary. My present screen is removable in that I attach it to two columns with velcro so I can take it up and down and i like this arrangement

Sorry for a long post. Any suggestions - New projector or can a new screen help me - the cheaper the better

Tom Brooke

#2 ·
Hi Tom,

How much experimenting are you willing to do? You can do a lot of testing inexpensively that will tell you if you need a new PJ or not just by using different shades of house paint.

The first thing would be to determine what shade of screen you already have and then go darker until you think it's too dark.

The monkey wrench in the works may be the AT screen. I know these can be sprayed, but I don't think they can be rolled well (the holes in the fabric will fill in with paint). I don't know of any other screen material you might hold to the wall with just Velcro.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.