How far should I put my projector - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com
Home Theater Shack Forums
XTZ Sound Marantz OPPO Digital - Universal Network 3D Blu-ray Players - Buy Direct from the Manufacturer Chane Music & Cinema Madisound Parts Express: Excellent Source for DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Projects! Musicians Friend: Your one stop shop for microphones, mic amps and Behringer products. Value Electronics: A trusted retailer and custom installer that specializes in whole-house audio, home theater, Plasma, LCD, LED, HDTVs, Blu-ray and more. Genelec: Active Speakers and Speaker Systems Audio General, Inc.: Great deals on projectors, screens and electronics. Underwood HiFi - Excellent discounts on some awesome name brands. Power Sound Audio designs, develops, and assembles high quality loudspeakers and subwoofers for home theater environments. Visual Apex: The most competitive pricing for home theater projectors... and built on customer satisfaction! SVSound Emotiva is your Home Theater Component Source for Audiophile Quality Home Theater Equipment at Factory Direct Prices Newegg: The perfect solution for all your HTPC and media server build needs! Creative Sound Solutions: Loudspeaker kits and components for subwoofers, midwoofers, woofers and full range speakers!

Like Us on facebookREW
Go Back   Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com > Home Theater - Audio / Video > Projection Screens > General Screen Discussion
Forgot Password?
Donations Reviews Vendors

Reply     Post New Thread
Views: 13017 - Replies: 8  
Old 11-01-10, 09:55 PM   #1
Shackster

Since: Oct 2010
I started this thread.
Question How far should I put my projector

Hi everyone,

I got a PT-AX200U HD projector with a 120 inch screen. I want to mount the projector on the ceiling. What would be the optimal distance ? I was thinkiing about +- 15 feet away from the screen.

Thank you!

Forum Rules Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-10, 07:15 AM   #2
HTS Administrator

Steve Mechelke -mech
Since: Feb 2007
Empire Township, MN
My System
Re: How far should I put my projector

Fifteen feet would be good. I wouldn't go back any farther since that will reduce your brightness. You can mount it anywhere from 12'1" - 24'6". At the closest distance you would have 23fL and at the farthest distance you would have 9fL.

Calculator Pro.

Old 11-02-10, 07:02 PM   #3
Shackster

Since: Oct 2010
I started this thread.

Hi Mechman,

Thanks for the answer. Only thing is I am farely new to HT and not sure what you mean with 23fl to 9fl.

Would you suggest to put my projector closer ? If yes, how close.
Also, how many inch from the ceiling should my projector be ? I"ve read about 7 inch is OK.
My couch would be about 17 feet away from the screen. is that ok ?

Sorry for all the questions, thanks for your help!!!!

Old 11-03-10, 07:29 AM   #4
HTS Administrator

Steve Mechelke -mech
Since: Feb 2007
Empire Township, MN
My System

Quote:
Italbro wrote: View Post
Hi Mechman,

Thanks for the answer. Only thing is I am farely new to HT and not sure what you mean with 23fl to 9fl.
Would you suggest to put my projector closer ? If yes, how close.
Also, how many inch from the ceiling should my projector be ? I"ve read about 7 inch is OK.
My couch would be about 17 feet away from the screen. is that ok ?

Sorry for all the questions, thanks for your help!!!!
fL is foot lamberts which is a measure of luminance. The recommended fL for a home theater is 12-14fL. The closer you put your projector to the screen, the brighter the image will be. 15 feet from the screen will be fine for your projector.

As to how low/high to mount the projector, it depends upon the projector. Ideally you try to get it mounted at the same as the height of the top of the screen. But your Panny has 63% vertical lens shift so you've got a lot of leeway. Take a look at pages 15 & 16 of your manual.

Old 11-03-10, 10:09 AM   #5
Elite Shackster

Andre
Since: Feb 2010
Edmonton
My System

The FL will also depend on the gain of your screen material

Old 11-03-10, 01:35 PM   #6
HTS Senior Moderator

Don
Since: Oct 2007
Central PA

Quote:
Andre wrote: View Post
The FL will also depend on the gain of your screen material
This is true because foot lambert (fL) is a measurement of screen LUMINANCE which is the amount of light reflected from a surface. The amount of light hitting a surface (like a projector beam) is called ILLUMINANCE which is measured in foot candles (fc). If the screen is a true white (reflects all the light that hits it) Lambertian (reflects the light in all directions from the surface) reflector the luminance and illuminance values will be the same. If the screen is a gray Lambertian surface (absorbs some of the light that hits it) the luminance will be less than the illuminance. Only when the screen surface has "gain" can a darker-than-white screen have the same, or greater, amount of luminance than the light illuminating it. When this is true the surface cannot be Lambertian, but must have some amount of specular or retroreflective reflectance. You can think of it as "robbing Peter to pay Paul" which means that while the reflectance on-axis with the PJ may be the same (or greater) than a white Lambertian surface the off-axis reflectance will be less than even what the gray screen would have had if it were Lambertian. We measure this screen attribute by taking multiple gain measurements from different angles.

A foot lambert represents the same amount of light as a foot candle, the only difference is the former is being reflected from the screen and the latter is striking the screen.

When we talk about screens and projectors we generally just use the term foot lambert for both luminance and illuminance even though that is technically incorrect.

Old 11-03-10, 01:40 PM   #7
Elite Shackster

Andre
Edmonton
My System

Don I love ya but you just gave me a headache.

Old 11-03-10, 03:23 PM   #8
HTS Senior Moderator

Don
Since: Oct 2007
Central PA

Quote:
Andre wrote: View Post
Don I love ya but you just gave me a headache.
Wait until you read the article that's coming on the difference between a screen's "photometric gain" and "geometric gain".

You also see why we just use the term fL when we talk about screens.

Old 11-03-10, 03:26 PM   #9
Elite Shackster

Andre
Edmonton
My System

Please add "if your dumber then a 5th grader" clifnotes at the bottom of all future articles....

Reply     Post New Thread     Back to Top of Page

Check out the Woot product for today!   Musicians Friend: Your one stop shop for microphones, mic amps and Behringer products.   Cmple   Monoprice Electronics   Amazon   Velodyne

Parts Express: Excellent Source for DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Projects!   Onkyo   GIK Acoustics: Home audio acoustics at its best... especially when you have help from the owners right here at the Shack!  Check out their very affordable acoustic panels!   Nyrius   Aperion Audio   Axiom Audio

« Home Theater Shack > Home Theater - Audio / Video > Projection Screens > General Screen Discussion »

« Previous Thread   Next Thread »