Reflecting off of a mirror to extend throw distance? - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 4 Old 08-10-11, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Reflecting off of a mirror to extend throw distance?

I stumbled upon an old idea from 4 years ago in a 3D model of my old room that included a projector setup and a mirror that bounced the projected image to extend the available throw distance and thus increased the size of the image in confined areas.

Setting aside
a) Keystone distortion
b) The Flipped image
is this a plausible idea?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-10-11, 11:15 PM
Generic
Inactive

Re: Reflecting off of a mirror to extend throw distance?

I'm sure you can find a way to make it work. Prolly the hardest way to solve a simple solution. You can buy short throw projectors. Main issue is they are all reworked business projectors and last time I checked, they are all 16:10 instead of 16:9. That might change for the next gen of short throw projectors, cause they seem to have a demand. Most of them are branded as gaming projectors, but I would try that instead of using mirrors. Even with a mirror, you might need a projector that is compatible to be a rear projector as well as a front. Would that get the image right? I think so...
post #3 of 4 Old 08-10-11, 11:20 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Mirrors would work fine, but be SURE they are first-surface (AKA front-surface) mirrors or the image will blur from refraction.

I think most PJ's can reverse the image since this is needed for rear-projection.
post #4 of 4 Old 08-11-11, 11:35 AM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

Absolutely will work. I have not seen a projector that wont flip and reverse the image and a good quality mirror will work just fine. Remember that in some ways a rear projection TV is just that and uses a mirror to project the image. I saw a setup once in a church where they had to use a rear projection screen and mirror as there was only 5 ft of space behind the screen so they mounted the projector to the left of the screen and used a mirror at a 45 degree angle, it worked very well.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900