What would you put in this theater? - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 6 Old 01-20-12, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
What would you put in this theater?

I'm in the final stages of turning an unfinished basement storage room into a raging inferno of auditory and visual ecstasy, or at least a nice place to watch a movie

I'm kinda stumped on which way to go for a screen. Still debating between 16:9 and 2.35:1. Also not sure if I want to go with an AT material like the seymour XT in order to get better speaker placement or a solid screen. My current thought is either a 110" 16:9 or a 120" 2.35:1, but I'm worried that might be too big. Also worried I might see the texture of an AT screen from the front row. I'm willing to spend up to about $600 but if I can get good results with $200 and a little work I'd just as soon do that. Here's what I have so far:

The screen will be mounted on a false wall about 30" in from the front wall.
11'x23' room, almost 8' ceilings, 10" stage, 12" riser for the back row.
Flat Black ceiling, nearly black carpet, side walls are a medium tan.
Dedicated room, no windows, controlled light via cans, sconces, rope light.
Epson 1080UB projector with 500 hours on the bulb (1600 ANSI lumens, 50,000:1 contrast)
Projector is ceiling mounted 14' from screen.
Two rows of seating at 9'6" and about 13'.
Room is intended for 30% movies, 50%HDTV/sports, 20% gaming

What do you suggest?
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 6 Old 01-20-12, 09:52 PM
HTS Moderator
My System
Re: What would you put in this theater?

1.78 versus 2.35 is a pretty personal decision TBH - people swear by both. I think the best way to help you decide what you like best is to project onto a sheet / wall and watch both formats. I suggest at least a few viewings of each format to really get a feel for which you prefer.

This will also help you decide a good size screen for your space.

As far as an AT versus solid screen, I can't help there since I have never looked at an AT screen as my space is not big enough to use one.
post #3 of 6 Old 01-21-12, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

I have carpet getting finished up today, so I'll be able to mock up a false wall and start experimenting soon.

Any other opinions on using the Seymour AT material at those viewing distances, and with my projector?
post #4 of 6 Old 01-24-12, 01:30 AM
Mark Techer

I have had my curved AT Scope screen since 2007 and there is no way I would go back to a solid screen or 16:9 for that matter. Scope is my preference and allows me a more cinematic feel. The AT screen is the only way to get a true sound to picture match IMO. However, AT screens are a bit more involved than just hanging AT fabric in front of your speakers. You have to consider the building of a baffle wall if you want the best results. Baffle walls are not 'rocket science" though there are some rules you need to be aware of and adhere to if you want a good result.
post #5 of 6 Old 01-24-12, 06:19 AM
Elite Shackster
Steve Mechelke -mech
My System

If it is a place to watch movies then go with a 2.35:1 screen. Aspect ratio isn't as hard of a question as people make it out to be. Ask yourself what you will be the primary use of your room - watching movies or watching mainly tv? I watch more television programs in my room than anything else therefore I went with a 16:9 aspect ratio.
post #6 of 6 Old 01-26-12, 11:09 PM Thread Starter

I appreciate the replies. Since my last post I set up a roll of seamless photo background paper and experimented with sizes. The family seems to have settled in on a bigger screen size than I expected: 120", even with 16:9 sources! It was a bit overwhelming for me in the front row, but the kids want to sit in the front anyway and the wife and I like the back seats, so I think everyone's happy.

At 120" the AT screen is pretty mandatory. The speaker manufacturer doesn't think I'll get much use out of a baffle wall so I'll plan to go without for now and see how it all comes together.

Unless I find something else quickly, I think I'm going with the Seymour Center Stage XT material, but I did notice a little less gain and a touch less contrast compared to my role of white seamless paper, which is a little disappointing, but I don't think I'd be able to notice the difference without the two materials being side by side.

put , theater

Quick Reply

Register Now

Confirm Password
Email Address
Confirm Email Address
Random Question
Random Question #2

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address

Activation requires you reply to an email we will send you after you register... if you do not reply to this email, you will not be able to view certain areas of the forum or certain images... nor will you be able download software.

See our banned email list here: Banned Email List

We DO NOT respond to spamcop, boxtrapper and spamblocker emails... please add @hometheatershack DOT com to your whitelist prior to registering or you will get nowhere on your registration.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page