135" screen owners? - Page 3 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #21 of 39 Old 01-03-14, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
 
hockeypucks's Avatar
Andy
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: St. Clair Shores MI
Posts: 164
Hmm decisions decisions
hockeypucks is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 39 Old 01-09-14, 04:10 PM
Shackster
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Colorado
Posts: 18
Re: 135" screen owners?

I found my ideal spot at about 14' from a 140" screen (16:9). Just about fills my FOV completely but I do not have to turn my head to follow the action on screen.

Adding to that discussion, whatever position you choose to plant your base on :-), you might want to leave a few feet of space behind you.... you know... to place your speakers for that ideal 7.1 sound... :-)

- Ravi
travi_74 is offline  
post #23 of 39 Old 01-10-14, 06:24 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
 
hockeypucks's Avatar
Andy
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: St. Clair Shores MI
Posts: 164
Oh I have plenty of space behind me from any sitting distance I choose. I just wasn't sure what would be too close since I've never owned a projector before. But thank you for your input, I'm thinking somewhere in the 14-16ft range will be nice.
hockeypucks is offline  
post #24 of 39 Old 02-23-14, 11:58 PM
Shackster
 
qx56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: northwest
Posts: 65
Go for it 135 is not too big. I go to the local hi fi store and the 106 looks so small. Every time I see it I think of how glad I didn't go any smaller than the 135 I have.
qx56 is offline  
post #25 of 39 Old 02-24-14, 12:01 AM
Shackster
 
qx56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: northwest
Posts: 65
The thing is. It will look huge for about a week or two. And then it just seems normal for the most part. You won't regret going big. Go for it.
qx56 is offline  
post #26 of 39 Old 02-24-14, 12:03 AM
Shackster
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: South Alabama
Posts: 63
Re: 135" screen owners?

I agree as I would go bigger if I had the space for sure. You'll be glad you did!
BamaDave is offline  
post #27 of 39 Old 02-24-14, 06:12 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
 
hockeypucks's Avatar
Andy
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: St. Clair Shores MI
Posts: 164
Thanks for the input everyone, I believe I will go as large as I can but I'm having a tough time determining exactly what that should be since I'm new to projection and throws and whatnot. I'm going to make an AT screen though so I can go really big and hide the center speaker.
hockeypucks is offline  
post #28 of 39 Old 05-26-14, 06:00 PM
Shackster
Dustin
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Boardman, OR
Posts: 87
My System
Send a message via MSN to PC509
Re: 135" screen owners?

Quote:
qx56 wrote: View Post
The thing is. It will look huge for about a week or two. And then it just seems normal for the most part. You won't regret going big. Go for it.
I have a 106", and when I say it's small, people are surprised. I'm looking to go 135" myself, but will probably go with a 120". Just due to the size of the room, sitting distance (14') and speaker locations. I'd have ~14" on each side of the screen for speakers, and 27" below the screen for center channel placement.

I usually go as big as I can, but 135" is about the absolute maximum I can go in this room, and it'd take a few adjustments. I'd love to go 135", but I keep talking myself out of it....

So, with my projector (replacing the Panasonic AE3000-U with a Optoma HD131Xe this week due to power surge), 120" won't be bad. When I upgrade to UHD, I'll upgrade screen size.

If you have the space, and can work the speakers around (or AT screen), then I'd go 135". But, like others have mentioned - where do you sit at the theater? In the back? Then, sitting 12' away from a 135" screen might be too much. If you sit towards the middle or front, it might be perfect.
PC509 is offline  
post #29 of 39 Old 05-26-14, 07:36 PM
 
ellisr63's Avatar
Ron
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: In the Home Theater
Posts: 5,476
My System
Re: 135" screen owners?

Quote:
PC509 wrote: View Post
I have a 106", and when I say it's small, people are surprised. I'm looking to go 135" myself, but will probably go with a 120". Just due to the size of the room, sitting distance (14') and speaker locations. I'd have ~14" on each side of the screen for speakers, and 27" below the screen for center channel placement.

I usually go as big as I can, but 135" is about the absolute maximum I can go in this room, and it'd take a few adjustments. I'd love to go 135", but I keep talking myself out of it....

So, with my projector (replacing the Panasonic AE3000-U with a Optoma HD131Xe this week due to power surge), 120" won't be bad. When I upgrade to UHD, I'll upgrade screen size.

If you have the space, and can work the speakers around (or AT screen), then I'd go 135". But, like others have mentioned - where do you sit at the theater? In the back? Then, sitting 12' away from a 135" screen might be too much. If you sit towards the middle or front, it might be perfect.
134" screen here with seating 14' away... I still want bigger.

Ron

My Home Theater
Yamaha CX-A5100, (3) JBL 2360A/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (2) Intel NUCs, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, Panasonic AE8000, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet, Panamorph UH-480 lens, (2) Crest Audio 2208, Yamaha XM-4080 & P7000s, (2) MiniDSP DDRC-88M, Pioneer BDP-80DF

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
ellisr63 is offline  
post #30 of 39 Old 05-26-14, 07:44 PM
 
ellisr63's Avatar
Ron
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: In the Home Theater
Posts: 5,476
My System
Re: 135" screen owners?

Quote:
hockeypucks wrote: View Post
Thanks for the input everyone, I believe I will go as large as I can but I'm having a tough time determining exactly what that should be since I'm new to projection and throws and whatnot. I'm going to make an AT screen though so I can go really big and hide the center speaker.
If you are going with a AT screen... Why not make the screen the whole wall? If you do it this way you can mount your projector, and then make the picture whatever size you feel comfortable with. We are going with a Seymour AT screen that is 14' wide, which will leave me with just enough room on one side to have our rack (which will be behind black acoustic material). Once we setup the projector we will see what size we feel comfortable with and then mask to it. If down the road we get a better projector that we can go bigger with and enjoy the picture we don't have to buy another screen. I kick myself for not going with the screen wall the first time.

Ron

My Home Theater
Yamaha CX-A5100, (3) JBL 2360A/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (2) Intel NUCs, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, Panasonic AE8000, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet, Panamorph UH-480 lens, (2) Crest Audio 2208, Yamaha XM-4080 & P7000s, (2) MiniDSP DDRC-88M, Pioneer BDP-80DF

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
ellisr63 is offline  
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
135 , owners , screen

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now




PLEASE COMPLETE ALL REQUIRED FIELDS BELOW... THANKS!

REQUIRED FIELDS ON THIS PAGE
YOU MUST COMPLETE ALL OF THESE

Username
Password
Confirm Password
Email Address
Confirm Email Address
Random Question
Random Question #2




User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
PLEASE READ BELOW PRIOR TO ENTERING AN EMAIL ADDRESS!

ATTENTION!

YOU MUST ACTIVATE YOUR ACCOUNT!

Activation requires you reply to an email we will send you after you register... if you do not reply to this email, you will not be able to view certain areas of the forum or certain images... nor will you be able download software.

AN INVALID EMAIL ADDRESS WILL CAUSE YOUR ACCOUNT TO BE DELETED!

See our banned email list here: Banned Email List

We DO NOT respond to spamcop, boxtrapper and spamblocker emails... please add @hometheatershack DOT com to your whitelist prior to registering or you will get nowhere on your registration.


Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML is not allowed!
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 


For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome