Yamaha RX-V2500 shut down problem - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 3 Old 03-11-10, 09:55 AM Thread Starter
Yamaha RX-V2500 shut down problem

So my RX-V2500 started acting funny a couple months ago. It would just shut off after turning it on. I figured the power cord was coming loose after pulling unit from the cabinet for dusting. I would push the cord back in the socket and the unit would work fine. My brother came accross a RX-V3900 display model for sale at his store and I picked it up for $ 740.00 with 4 year warranty. I pulled the RX-V2500 out and it sat until I decided to sell it locally. Someone came to look at it and low and behold the receiver would turn on for about 5 seconds and click and shut down. This is without anything hooked up to it other than the 120v ac cord. After checking to make sure there were no wire fragments / etc on the binding posts I decided to pull out the circuit board where the 120 V power comes in to check for any obvious damaged components. Visually eveything looked ok. I put the board back in, hooked the wiring back up and now the until will not even turn on, no clicks no nothing. I see you can purchase this board new from yamaha for about $ 150.00 but I don't want to start throwing parts at it as it is not worth as much anymore. Should I try the new board or put it up for sale as parts / repair ? From what I can find on the internet, it seems to be a common problem with many Yamahas but I can not find a sure fix. The receiver has had very little use in the 5 years i've had it and never had any problems until now. It has never been overheated & has been well taken care of. Thanks for your help in advance.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 3 Old 03-11-10, 12:43 PM
Plain ole user
Tech Guru
Send a message via AIM to lcaillo
Re: Yamaha RX-V2500 shut down problem

Not likely that board. Contrary to what you have heard, this is not a common problem with these units. Troubleshooting any AVR, however, is not trivial and requires the proper mauals and experience, perhaps training. I would not recommend trying to DIY one of these.

There have been some units with a few bad capacitors in the output stage, and some which will shut down because of a ground problem. I would start by tightening all of the screws on the boards and the back panel.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
post #3 of 3 Old 12-18-13, 01:23 PM
Re: Yamaha RX-V2500 shut down problem

I know this is an old posting but still comes up on google a lot if you are searching for issues with RX-v2500. I just got one of these defective receivers and wanted to share my findings. First I notice myself and another thread that control side power supply feeding the +/_ 12V DC bus for stabilizers +9V, +5V, 3.3V, 2.5V, -5V runs very hot temperature wise. Secondary hint is from the diagnostic pages of the receiver. Mine was showing PS1:35 and PS2:25 (limit is 24 for PS2 - a summed voltage for power supply B5), What triggered the shutdown each time was PS2. This is also shown in the diagnostic mode. I though that the temperature of the chip might be triggering the shutdown - chip going into temperature protection mode. This is where I found yet another awesome thread with fan modification .
Actually the problem i found in my unit was a temperature / design flaw. i did notice large amounts of heat from the stabilizers therefore I proceeded with the mentioned fan circuit mod. This lowered the temps a lot but still had a shutdown 1/day. I proceeded to remove the stabilizer board that seemed to produce most of heat. You could actually feel the heat coming mostly from the 5V and 3.3V sharp stabilizer chips. When I removed the board i noticed that the stabilizers had a large amount of dried out thermal paste on them specifically on the sharp 3.3V and 5 V stabilizers. These stabilizers were also discolored by the prolonged heat issues and most like were failing. Now I understood that the heat issue was coming from lack of heat transfer between the heatsink and the stabilizers. The only thing holding the stabilizer is a preformed metal bracket that was not doing a good job for the 2 stabilizers in question. I clean the stabilizers, heat sink and applied new thermal compound. I also bent the bracket that pushed the stabilizers to add some extra force on the stabilizers.

Overall I am 99.99% sure that this will fix the issue for me but just in case i have ordered both the 5V and 3.3V replacement parts ( the discoloration suggests a possible failure in the near future). The original Sharp parts are no longer available (PQ05RD21 adn PQ3RD23) but Fairchaild makes a 1:1 replacement (KA278R33C, KA278R05C ) which is available at Mouser.

I also change the stressed out bridge rectifier with a more capable part GBU6G (6A max continuous current vs the original D25BA20 rated at 2A). Just in case a small heat sink was added to the rectifier.

Hope this helps others with this model.
Attached Thumbnails
Yamaha RX-V2500 shut down problem-rxv2500-power.jpg  

Yamaha RX-V2500 shut down problem-yamaha-top.jpg  

Yamaha RX-V2500 shut down problem-power-2.jpg  

Yamaha RX-V2500 shut down problem-v1500-exploded.jpg  

Last edited by kawal; 12-22-13 at 09:40 PM.

problem , rx-v2500 , shut , yamaha

Quick Reply

Register Now

Confirm Password
Email Address
Confirm Email Address
Random Question
Random Question #2

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address

Activation requires you reply to an email we will send you after you register... if you do not reply to this email, you will not be able to view certain areas of the forum or certain images... nor will you be able download software.

See our banned email list here: Banned Email List

We DO NOT respond to spamcop, boxtrapper and spamblocker emails... please add @hometheatershack DOT com to your whitelist prior to registering or you will get nowhere on your registration.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page