Rocky Mountain Audio Fest (RMAF) 2016 Show Report - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

2Likes
Closed Thread

post #1 of 27 Old 10-04-16, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Wayne Myers

Rocky Mountain Audio Fest (RMAF) 2016 Show Report

Reporting LIVE from Rocky Mountain Audio Fest 2016 at the Marriott Denver Tech Center:

Dennis Young and Wayne Myers will be heading to Denver to report on the show at the Denver Tech Center Marriott Hotel. With the assistance of Todd Anderson posting on the news side and Facebook, we will bring you the highlights from the show.

As we have the last few shows, we will be reporting

LIVE FROM RMAF 2016!

Once our reporting is complete, this thread will be opened for your questions and comments. In the mean time, feel free to join the discussion on the discussion thread.
Tonto likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 10-07-16, 12:09 PM
HTS Senior Moderator
HTS Reviewer

2 channel view

My System
Re: Rocky Mountain Audio Fest (RMAF) 2016 Show Report

The SVS exhibit features their latest SB16-Ultra beast of a subwoofer and the new Prime Elevation surround/height monitors. Prime Towers, Center, Bookshelf round out the 360 degree 5.1.2 system. Total speaker package including subwoofer is under $5k. Source, AVR and HDTV kept the demo system price under $7500.

The versatility of the Prime Elevation leads to easy system integration, the angled baffle can be mounted and directed as necessary, especially nice for height applications, with the potential to sound better than in-ceiling or ceiling-bounce speakers.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Wayne's comments:

The SVS room is our first stop. Their new sub is immense, awesome, and huge.

All of SVS's speaker lines have been voiced together for maximum flexibiliry in combining them as desired/needed in a system.

The new SVS Prime Elevation adds a whole new dimension to that flexibility.

Gary Yacobian: The amp is like a pro amp, really robust.

The demo system we listened to was under $5,000 for the SVS components, including the new SB16-Ultra sub, a 5.1.2 system.

The recent Mad Max movie demo was incredible.
Todd Anderson likes this.

"I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit." - Bill Hicks
post #3 of 27 Old 10-07-16, 12:56 PM
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System

Did they crank that sub for you guys?

Edit: Oh yeah, I was expecting a ported demo, but the sealed rocked the room, and a few adjoining rooms as well, I'm sure. - Dennis

Edit - Edit: Sorry to crash the report thread. I'll head over to the discussion thread. ;-)
post #4 of 27 Old 10-07-16, 01:21 PM
HTS Senior Moderator
HTS Reviewer

2 channel view

My System

Lenbrook America shows the new PSB Imagine Mini w/dedicated extruded aluminum PFS-27 stands, SE 450 subwoofer, NAD C 368 integrated amp and CA 568 CD player.

A refreshing take from cost-no-object systems, this system brings attainable high-end sound in small form factor. Sound is signature PSB, all-day-listening smooth.

"I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit." - Bill Hicks
post #5 of 27 Old 10-07-16, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Wayne Myers

Moon Audio, Eva Cassidy on the new B&W 802 D3. Imaging is very natural and quite sharp, just a little soft in the sibilant range but very enjoyable.

The B&W 802 D3 speakers have been extensively redesigned, virtually every part is new, drivers, baskets, cabinets, yielding improved resolution and the $22,000 per pair price point.

Moon Audio, a privately-owned company, provided the amplification and DAC. Moon Audio is a Montreal-based company which has been in business for 37 years. All design, machining, fabrication, soldering, every part of the work is done under one roof in Montreal.

The Evolution 700i amp, at $14,000, puts out 175 W into 8 ohm, 350 W into 4 ohm, doubles down again into 2 ohm, is stable clear down to 1 ohm, is made of aircraft grade aluminum, has a 10-year warranty, as do all of their products.

The 780D Streaming DAC uses 32 separate DACs internally in fully differential configurations covering every imaginable combination of inputs. It is network UPnP capable and uses a hybrid power supply design for efficiency and ultimate performance. Price is $15,000.

Their aim is to design products that are as soundless as possible. Recording studios and mastering rooms are among their loyal customer base.

Rocky Mountain Audio Fest (RMAF) 2016 Show Report-img_20161007_110523.jpg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #6 of 27 Old 10-07-16, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Wayne Myers

The folks at Audioengine like to pour a lot of quality and versatility and sound - amounting to a whole lot of VALUE - into small packages. Their newest offerings are the tiny HD3 powered desktop speaker with wireless and USB inputs and a high-performance headphone amp, and the HDP6 passive version of the HD6..

The HD3 with sub support would make a worthy desktop system. The DAC/headamp is based on their D1 design, which I was really impressed by. The Bluetooth design is based on the B1. With headphones, the HD3 really sounded nice.

Rocky Mountain Audio Fest (RMAF) 2016 Show Report-img_20161007_115409.jpg

Rocky Mountain Audio Fest (RMAF) 2016 Show Report-img_20161007_115355.jpg

Rocky Mountain Audio Fest (RMAF) 2016 Show Report-img_20161007_115346.jpg

Rocky Mountain Audio Fest (RMAF) 2016 Show Report-img_20161007_115321.jpg

Rocky Mountain Audio Fest (RMAF) 2016 Show Report-img_20161007_115303.jpg

post #7 of 27 Old 10-07-16, 02:21 PM
HTS Senior Moderator
HTS Reviewer

2 channel view

My System

Wandering the halls of the Marriott Denver Tech Center, I heard a dynamic presentation going on in Room 7007, so I popped in for a listen.

The image was tall, soundstage appropriately sized, action happening a foot or so behind the plane of the Neat Acoustics Iota ALPHA mini floorstanders ($1995). The side mounted midrange works with the horizontal radiation pattern of EMIT planar tweeter, which lends to the larger than expected sound. A bottom firing 6" woofer brings up the bottom end.

Signal and electrons supplied by the Audio Flight FL CD Three ($2895) and FL Three S ($3995).

The best listening descriptor I can come up with is, "FUN". This system is just so much fun to look at and listen to. I would love to have a pair of these little guys for a second or third system.

post #8 of 27 Old 10-07-16, 04:04 PM
HTS Senior Moderator
HTS Reviewer

2 channel view

My System

I made a quick stop by the AIX Records kiosk to pick up some ear candy from chief engineer and company owner, Mark Waldrep.

post #9 of 27 Old 10-07-16, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Wayne Myers

aThe Burwell and Sons horn loaded speakers, $80,000 per pair, including FREE prototype subs, were fun to listen to. I will not say that the frequency response was perfectly flat, but there was a nice sense of dynamics and inner detail, especially on vocals and percussion. Paul McCartney's early solo work was good material to demo them with. Vinyl and digital sources were at work.

It felt like kicking back with buddies for an evening of chilling with good friends and great tunes.

Rocky Mountain Audio Fest (RMAF) 2016 Show Report-img_20161007_141645.jpg

post #10 of 27 Old 10-07-16, 05:26 PM
HTS Senior Moderator
HTS Reviewer

2 channel view

My System

The Peachtree Audio and Zu Audio room hopping, the $30k Experience floorstanders rocking out a Sweet Vinyl DSD needle drop from Donald Fagan's Nightfly "Ruby, Ruby" with seemingly unlimited dynamics.

The subterranean bass contained within Le Michel Jonasz "Le Temple Passe" was weighty, the active subwoofers at the cabinet bottom pressurized the large room with ease. Any combination of amplifier/active crossover can be used to feed the dual Radian 18" subwoofers, in this case, dual 400 watt each Submission Mk.1 subwoofer amplifiers. The 300 watt per channel Peachtree Audio Nova 300 ($2300) handled input duties while powering the passive top array with aplomb.

I left the room reluctantly, wanting to take the Nova 300 and Experience with me.

Closed Thread