Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Which future proof TV should I get for a 9 to 10 foot viewing distance?

Go 4K or not?

Tags
11K views 52 replies 16 participants last post by  Blacklightning 
#1 ·
I have decided to upgrade to a new display since my old 47" is much too small for my new room. I've decided to go with a 60 to 65" panel. Probably a 65.

The question is, should I get 4K or not and is it worth it, even if future proof? My viewing distance was very far at 12', but I moved my couch up to about 10' after quickly realizing how tiny my 47" looks. I could probably squeeze it to about 9' but can't go any closer. For a 65" at 9', the recommendations I see are about 8.5' to 13' as optimal for 1080p, and 8.5' being the cutoff into 4K territory. I'm using the RTINGS guide and not THX. For whatever it's worth, I also have a 4K up-converting receiver.

I'm considering the Samsung 65H7150 ($1800) or 65UH8550 ($2500) since they are reviewed as the best performing and highest value of the high end. I didn't really want to go over the $2k mark if possible, but there is some leeway.

Is 4K worth 140% the cost of 1080p?
Is 4K really even "future proof" since it pushes the boundary of the human visual system and requires unfeasibly short viewing distances?

Another option would be to go for a 70" 4K, but I would be limited to something affordable like the Vizio P-Series that doesn't have 3D and doesn't have as good of color. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't worried about the Vizio skimping on other key features like HEVC, HDMI 2.0, and DisplayPort.

See less See more
#36 · (Edited)
The 850B is what I have. Background: Last year was extremely busy for us. Ie; not time to do the normal research that I do. I can't stand shopping at the Best Buys and other stores-so for 20 years we have bought from a locally owned TV Store that match prices with the discount stores. The sales guys are knowledgeable and I trust them.

Over the Holidays we decided to treat ourselves to a new living room TV. I walked into this store with the intent of buying another 1080p set, but in the 60-65" range-maximum space we have available. I'll be honest and say I had never even heard of 4k. This store carries Samsung, Sony, LG, Panasonic, Sharp, and Toshiba. The Sony blew me away. When I walked in the door with maybe 50 TV's to look at my eye went immediately to the Sony's. The 950 was incrementally better-but out of my snack bracket. The 850 was great (still way more then I had intended to spend as I knew 1080's had dropped in price). I did let the salesman talk to me about the other brands, 4k, etc. I specifically dwelled on the curve sets. This salesman did not like them and showed me some of the viewing issues and strongly recommended against them. Long story short-I did buy the Sony. It looks way better then my 1080p did with the same sources. Even our guests over the holidays were pretty blown away with it. One fancies himself as a closet A/V guy and he does have a nice set up-loved it.

I still haven't researched the best way to feed this TV to get great video. I noticed in previous posts to this thread that people are stating 9' viewing distance? Not for us. Seating area is 14' feet away. 9' the set looks fine and much closer then that it has a wierd look to it. I BELIEVE that watching Netflix through the internet connection to the TV's receiver is the best resolution-maybe even a 4k feed?-that channel looks the best at all viewing distances. The upconverted stuff is what I believe looks like it's been painted by an impressionist artist up close. Looks better then 1080p beyond 8'.

We are due for a DirecTV upgrade and before we do that I'm going to research and see what the best way to feed this TV will be. Question posted at: http://www.hometheatershack.com/for...sources-you-using-your-4k-tv.html#post1144882

Good luck with your decision.

#37 ·
I voted Samsung 4K b/c I currently own two Samsung 1080 tv's (55 & 65) and prior have tried just about every other brand. The only reason I chose the Samsung is b/c I have had super good luck with these tv's vs. other brands and if it ain't broke, don't fix it! I have seen the Sony and as others have stated it is extremely stunning but I can't seem to get myself to drop that kinda cash for it.

#39 ·
No 4K.

Before purchasing the Samsung 7150 I researched 4k immensely. I premised it around 4K being available through DVR by Cable/Satellite. Japan, who develops the majority of technology that will be used to implement/distribute it in the U.S.promised 4k would be ready in their bid to host the 2016 Summer Olympic games if they were to win. Which they lost and shortly after admitted 2016 wasn't a realistic time line they believed could be reached. They won the following summer Olympics in 2020 now saying 8K (film every event in 8K) will be ready

Biggest problem is they have to entirely get rid of the SD standard definition boxes. SD service cannot be offered which will tick off Gma even though I purchased an HD for her on xmas. Seniors and many others don't care.
Next is the amount of storage needed. A new DVR from Comcast holds 100 GB. The standard HD provided (1920 x 1080) roughly 1.5 GB for 2 hr movie. Whereas 2 hr movie in 4K (3840 x 2160) is 40 GB. So the cable/sat providers have to revamp connection to your house and components inside it.

Based on this info and a bit more I determined it was best to wait for 8k. Forecasted it being shortly behind if not already with 4K content provided by cable/Satellite. You will see s large drop in price like you have in the 4K's from superior technology (Moore's Law) with a display in 8K (7680 x 4320) that's on an completely different level of detail, clarity, etc

A major Japanese corporation came to the same conclusion as I did. NHK, Nippon Hoso Kyokai (Japan Broadcasting Corporation), is Japan's only public broadcaster

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/news/article/forget-ultra-hd-8k-is-closer-than-you-think/14385.

They've developed the world's first 8K camera which is wanted by every studio.

#41 ·
Touche. Yet no. Moore's law is not going to last much longer. The law created in 1965 is expected to last is 2025. For those unfamiliar, Moore's law states "Moore's law" is the observation that, over the history of computing hardware, the number of transistors in a dense integrated circuit has doubled approximately every two years." In 1975 the time was adjusted to every 18 months I believe.
Here's a quote from Wikipedia - For example, the 2010 update to the International Technology Roadmap for Semiconductors predicted that growth would slow around 2013,[16] and Gordon Moore in 2015 foresaw that the rate of progress would reach saturation: "I see Moore’s law dying here in the next decade or so."[17]"

Many believe it will end sooner in the area of 2022, 2023. The transistors/semiconductors
and other components are simply becoming too small is the reason if I recall correctly, yet I'm convinced it will end in the next decade based on what I've read.
It's been amazing living through this golden age of technological advances, being able to double the power of a computer while reducing the size by 100% every 18 months. The aspect of it that's been frustrating that we all have encountered is the majority of the electronics we'very purchased being essentially obsolete in 1.5-2 years.

I spoke with a few people who've seen the rare 8k displays. In one occasion they had the display showing a strawberry. Next to it was a painting of strawberry and a real strawberry They all said that until you were within a few inches (under 6) is the only distance they could determine the real strawberry over the display of the 8k.

You may of said that sarcastically or in jest. Yet for what the human eyes are able to perceive, the amount of quality and detail displayed in a 8k picture the need or want to go beyond it will not be a practical application in the home or any other venue (possibly excluding very rare medical, and scientific research areas) for at least 2 decades in my opinion

#42 ·
4K is here to stay. IMO it will become the defacto streaming format within another year or two, the sad reality is that 1080P blurays still can offer better PQ than the best streaming. Finalized UHD bluray specs are also right around the corner, which is highly likely to be 10bit color in 4:2:0 chroma at 24fps and will have HDR and other features for better PQ than anything to date. This is already maxing out the bandwidth of HDMI 2.0 so I think the format will be around for a while. There's also a lot more to it than pixels. The hardware can't barely handle 4K right now, meaning it won't be mainstream for another few years to come.

8K is a big fat don't care / ain't gonna happen within 10 years.

#44 ·
Disagree. The bandwidth requirements are beyond immense for true 4K. The demand for actual image quality above streaming is not likely to drive the market to an even higher level. If "8K" hits the shelves it will be marketing gimmick to sell electronics.

#49 ·
This whol 4k8k thing has me annoyed. There is still hardly any content for it and any that is available on line is compressed so much that your really not getting any better than BluRay quality in the end.

#50 ·
When I bought my Sony 4k it was an impulse buy. Rare for me. I usually study up on things but as I reported in another thread-I walked into our local A&B TV-Austin and saw the 4k and to me it was stunning. Had no idea.

After I bought it and realized that there were only a few 4k sources I still felt good about it as the up conversion easily looks better then my 1080p TV. (4k is 65" and 1080p is 50").

But I did start researching timeframes on real 4k sources. As luck would have it a long time friend of mine is an executive at a video analytics company. We had a nice long personal chit chat and then I asked him when he thought 4k would come to satellite. He said that the providers have there analytics equipment and are analyzing now with the intent of coming to market later this year. Like 6 months from now.

Once that happens along with 4k sets being sold cheaper and cheaper I bet 4k will become mainstream pretty quick. It's definitely a data issue that the providers are wrestling with. The pipes are only so big and they need to pump multiple revenue streams through the pipe. With a 4k movie requiring more then 15mps download speeds (http://blog.streamingmedia.com/2015/01/4k-streaming-bandwidth-problem.html) The pipes have to be big and fast flowing.

It's going to be an interesting next couple of years!

#53 ·
I know this is an old trend.

The problem with your statement is that right now UHD Bluray standards are not set and no 4K sets can 100% do the standard. So I'm afraid most people that have a 4K set will need to buy another one in a couple years to take advantage of all the benefits of UHD.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.