Compelling reason NOT to go plasma? - Page 3 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #21 of 35 Old 01-03-09, 08:10 PM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Send a message via AIM to lcaillo
Re: Compelling reason NOT to go plasma?

I have always preferred plasma, but the more I look at the 650 LCD from Samsung, I have a hard time not liking it.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 35 Old 01-03-09, 10:34 PM
Elite Shackster

Steve

Yeah, that's the one I am jumping on. Tremendously low black level with the dynamic backlighting in effect, vibrant-wet looking colors, and crisp detail.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #23 of 35 Old 01-03-09, 11:44 PM
Shackster
pwrjam

Quote:
lcaillo wrote: View Post
I have always preferred plasma, but the more I look at the 650 LCD from Samsung, I have a hard time not liking it.
That one is a tie with another couple TV's I've been considering
The panasonic 50" 800U and 50" 850U. Though between those two I think I'd go with the 850. But that 650 from samsung is a real sweet TV! by far one of the best bang for the buck LCD's out now.
post #24 of 35 Old 01-11-09, 10:32 AM
Senior Shackster
Matt

Quote:
SteveCallas wrote: View Post
I've been doding some more viewing myself as I prepare to buy a new tv, and what really bothers me at this stage of the game with plasma is the dinginess, especially washed out whites. But to each his own.

If you are set on plasma, check out this review . I've never given much consideration to Vizio, but this one looks like a winner, the measurements are quite good - better than any other plasma I've seen reviewed except for the Pioneer Kuros.
If you calibrate your LCD it will be much less blue-white.
The 650 is nice for an LCD.
The 950 is better if you only have one or two viewers straight on.
Plasmas still have more contrast and at least as good or better blacks.(depends on manuf.)
No uniformity issues either on pdp's, nor off-axis issues.
Better/higher motion resolution.(huge for sports fans)
post #25 of 35 Old 01-11-09, 10:42 AM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Quote:
E-A-G-L-E-S wrote: View Post
If you calibrate your LCD it will be much less blue-white.
The 650 is nice for an LCD.
The 950 is better if you only have one or two viewers straight on.
Plasmas still have more contrast and at least as good or better blacks.(depends on manuf.)
No uniformity issues either on pdp's, nor off-axis issues.
Better/higher motion resolution.(huge for sports fans)
Actually, if you calibrate ANY set it will have less blue whites. They all come OOB with extremely high color temps. Also, PDPs can have significant uniformity issues. It varies with brand and model, and within models, but some have very splotchy color differences. With LCDs it often is more a matter of brightness variance, with PDPs it is more color variance.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
post #26 of 35 Old 01-12-09, 09:41 AM
Senior Shackster
Matt

Well, the top three have no uniformity issues for the last two gen's.
But many fall in love with those too bright too blue whites in-store not knowing the truth.
post #27 of 35 Old 01-12-09, 10:01 AM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

You have not looked closely...though you are correct that the problems are minimal and much better than earlier sets.

The "love" for blue whites and pink flesh tones, and lobster faces lasts only until realistic colors are experienced for most people. Once you point out that their favorite sports team's jerseys and helmets are not the right color, or that people can actually look like they don't have too much makeup on, or that the differences between channels in color can be minimized, most people are very happy to have a better calibrated set. Some not, but the majority actually prefer more natural color.

post #28 of 35 Old 01-12-09, 10:12 AM
Senior Shackster
Matt

Not looked closely, lol.
I have calibrated an a650 and a a750 from Sammy for friends in their homes.
I had a one on one with the a950 in a dark room.
I've also owned at one time or another eight HDTV's from three different tech's and five different manufacturers.
They may be getting better but they still have a ways to come.
And now they are going in the 'wrong' direction with putting the LED's on the side which is worse for the end result.

I believe you are way off on your speculation. I'd be willing to bet that more than 90% never get a calibration and more than 80% never even go online to look for tweaks.
Everyday I read of people who even do come online that they hate the "dim" picture of a calibrated set.

I would never not have a calibrated display.
post #29 of 35 Old 01-12-09, 11:24 AM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Sorry, I was talking about PDPs. They all have some uniformity variance, though it is not as bad as in the past. LCDs have a different issue, that seems to be very model specific, and even great variance between sets within the same model. There is a trade-off between diffusion and max output in design, and some sets have not had adequate diffusion of the backlight tubes or have had defects in the diffusion layers. Most of the better LCD sets have mostly eliminated the problem, but you will still see it on some if you put a full field of white or R, G or B on the screen and measure various points or for ANSI contrast.

I am not speculating, I calibrate and service these types of sets for a living and see many brands and models. Uniformity is much poorer than most people assume on many sets. The fact is, however, that it rarely is a factor in actual viewing in te best of the latest models in either technology.

I agree, regarding calibration. Most people who make these comments have probably only compare displays casually, which is exactly the condition for which the "torch modes" are designed. The frst 5 seconds of viewing leaves a significant impression that is dominated by contrast and saturation. That impression affects buying decisions more often than not.

post #30 of 35 Old 01-12-09, 11:46 AM
Senior Shackster
Matt

Ahh.
Well, there are other things at play as well as you know...like personal viewing processes too.
But I was speaking more about off axis, even more so with LED, the clouding/flashlighting, mura. etc is getting much better the last few gen's.

I can see the clarity in still shots and the brightness being inticing, and with the top end ones adding color accuracy and even some with decent blacks as well...but to my eyes even beyond the mess(big time sample and hold sufferer) it just doesn't do it for me when the added contrast and my perceived realism of plasma is an option.

Different strokes for different folks.