Refresh rate flicker problem with a new Sharp TV over HDMI. I will seriously paypal $50 to anyone that can figure this out. - Home Theater Forum and Systems -

post #1 of 4 Old 07-16-15, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
Refresh rate flicker problem with a new Sharp TV over HDMI. I will seriously paypal $50 to anyone that can figure this out.

This is going to be a bit of a long post, but only because I've got a year and a half of troubleshooting the problem under my belt. Hence offering the reward for anyone that can post a solution that fixes it. I'm going slightly insane trying to figure this out, and probably never going to bother with Sharp again.

The hardware:
This all started with a brand new Sharp 70EQ10U TV. I've got HDMI running from a few other devices (WiiU, PS4, Xbox360, and an HTPC) into a receiver, then HDMI out from the receiver to the TV.

The problem:
A black/white flickering that appears at the very top of the screen, full width, about 2 inches tall. It happens intermittently, often a few times a minute, sometimes nothing for 20 minutes.

I have youtube videos of the issue I can post, but the forum won't let me post them since I'm under 5 posts. Is there a way around this for me?

The facts and what I've done for troubleshooting:
  • It ONLY happens when I use any of the TV's picture modes that take advantage of the enhanced refresh rates. For picture modes there are many, like Auto, Standard, Standard (energy star), Movie, Game, PC, etc. So if I want that sweet fake 120hz+ smooth look, I have to deal with this ugly flicker. The problem does NOT occur if I use a picture mode like Movie, but it's very obviously not taking advantage of the refresh rate enhancements.
  • The problem ONLY occurs over HDMI. As in, if I use the TV's directly built-in Netflix or video file streaming functionality I can get the enhanced refresh rate but without the flicker.
  • Changing the refresh rate option has no effect. (they have a few, like AquoMotion240, 120hz High, 120hz Low)
  • It happens with EVERY device that I mentioned over HDMI.
  • I've tried several different HDMI cables.
  • I've taken the receiver out of the equation and connected multiple devices directly over HDMI to the TV, no difference
  • My previous TV, a 50" Sharp LCD, did not have this problem and the rest of the devices were the same
  • I've literally tried every other setting on this TV and nothing but the picture mode changes whether this flicker happens or not.
  • Content type does not matter whether it's a movie, video game, or just browsing reddit on the HTPC
  • I have the latest TV firmware

What Sharp has attempted to do about the issue:
I've spent probably at least a days' worth of hours on the phone with them trying to figure this out over the past year. Several times they've either exchanged the TV with a brand new one, or replaced the motherboard. I eventually even got them to try to give me a different model upgrade, a LC-70SQ15U, and it has the exact same problem.

I've given up trying to deal with them. I've been in direct communication with their technicians and sent them the videos. I'm convinced their current line up just has this problem. I've done enough process of elimination in my troubleshooting to rule out it possibly being any of my hardware, at least that I can think of.

I'll seriously give anyone $50 that can give me the solution to this problem. I'M DESPERATE

Last edited by Lumen; 07-17-15 at 09:39 AM. Reason: Removed questionable content
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 4 Old 02-08-16, 08:35 AM
Re: Refresh rate flicker problem with a new Sharp TV over HDMI. I will seriously paypal $50 to anyone that can figure this out.

I see this is an older thread, but:

Have you considered moving the set to another location in the house?
Better yet, taking it to a friends house and see if the same problem happens?
How about running off of a UPS?
Are the feeds directly to the set, or through an AV receiver?

Have you tried using the internal tuner (as in OTA) for the of it?
post #3 of 4 Old 02-08-16, 08:38 AM
Elite Shackster
My System
Re: Refresh rate flicker problem with a new Sharp TV over HDMI. I will seriously paypal $50 to anyone that can figure this out.

I would suggest replacing the HDMI cable that goes to the TV with a better one.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #4 of 4 Old 02-08-16, 08:54 AM

He stated he has tried different cables.

$50 , figure , flicker , hdmi , paypal , problem , rate , refresh , sharp , tv

Quick Reply

Register Now

Confirm Password
Email Address
Confirm Email Address
Random Question
Random Question #2

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address

Activation requires you reply to an email we will send you after you register... if you do not reply to this email, you will not be able to view certain areas of the forum or certain images... nor will you be able download software.

See our banned email list here: Banned Email List

We DO NOT respond to spamcop, boxtrapper and spamblocker emails... please add @hometheatershack DOT com to your whitelist prior to registering or you will get nowhere on your registration.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page