Monitor/TV for bright-ish family room - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 16 Old 08-28-16, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Paul

Monitor/TV for bright-ish family room

We have decided to bite the bullet and replace a perfectly functional older (7+ years old) 46" Sharp Aquos for a 65" 4K HDR television/monitor. The Aquos works very well in the environment, a family room, where it is located. I say this because some of my questions would be better answered in an objective manner but I don't have the tools to measure some of the things I may need to measure. So by using the existing Aquos as a comparison perhaps we can intuit the answers.

My budget is $1,000 to $2,000 for this purchase. I would like to get as much bleeding edge tech as I can (HDR10, Dolby Vision,etc.). Sound is not an issue as it is handled by an existing 7.1 system. The main content viewed will be "TV" shows and sports (football mainly). Most movies we watch in the living room.

My inclination is to spring for the Vizio M or P series as they are in my price range, and have lots of bells & whistles. My hesitation on these devices is I have read that they are bad for bright rooms (no objective definition of what that means, nor a way to compare against what I currently have).

Some questions;

Does anyone know where I can find a brightness number that I can reliably compare between current MFR's displays? Vizio & Samsung for example.

Does anyone have a guess as to the brightness of my existing Aquos (non LED)? Either absolute (nits) or relative (about twice as bright as the Visio M65-D0).

Has anyone had experience with the 2016 M or P series by Vizio? How dim is it? How bad is the off angle viewing?

What 65" would you currently recommend for this application?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 08-31-16, 07:43 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Paul

Re: Monitor/TV for bright-ish family room

Hello?

I was hoping to get some help over here.
post #3 of 16 Old 08-31-16, 08:30 AM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

I dont know where you can find actual numbers on brightness but I do know that if you stay with the major brands and if you go with either OLED or LED backlit displays (not just edge lite) you wont be disappointed. the main manufacturers have made great strides in getting the most contrast out of displays.
Be aware that brightness and contrast are two different things, an overly bright display may simply have poor black levels and be washed out. Contrast is a better number to look at but even those number that manufacturers use tend to be exaggerated.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #4 of 16 Old 08-31-16, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Paul

Tnoyvdb, thanks for the reply. The Vizio has full array led lighting with 64 zones on the M series and 128 zones on the P series.

The only negative I have seen on these TVs is a few reviews have indicated they aren't very bright. Unfortunately I have no way to judge what that means. So I am hoping someone has experience, or can help me to determine if it would be a good fit.

They are not available in any stores in my area to AB compare them to a Samsung or other TV either.
post #5 of 16 Old 08-31-16, 04:03 PM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

Personally, im not sure I would put Visio in the same category as Sony, LG Panasonic ETC. Im sure someone here can add to this just be patient. I will send Robert Zohn a message as he is the guy that should be able to answer this.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #6 of 16 Old 08-31-16, 04:24 PM
HTS Sponsor

Industry Insider

Hi Paul and Tony,

Tony thanks for inviting me to this discussion.

My only Vizio experience is with the flagship "R" series and they are not as bright as Samsung's flagship KS9800 or Sony's 940D. Also since the R series in limited to Dolby Vision HDR we have not been able to test its differences with HDR10 content against Samsung's KS9800 or Sony's 940D. Also, we have not tested the M or P series I can't comment on them.

We've sold a lot of LG's 65UH8500 and they are on sale now for $1,699 delivered. Edge lit, vs. Vizio's back-lit, but LG's local dimming algorithm helps this TV deliver a very good 1080 FHD and 4K Ultra HD HDR image quality.

Hope this helps.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
, Authorized Factory Direct dealers for LG, Samsung, Sony, Panasonic, Pioneer, Elite, Denon, Marantz, Krell, OPPO, Sonance, Definitive Technology, Artison, Leon Speaker Systems & more

Personal equipment:
Video: 2 theaters, Sony's VPL-VW5000ES, 2nd theater, JVC RS66
Family room LG 65" G6 OLED, Gym KRP-500M, Bedroom 65" B6 OLEED, Living room Panasonic 65" VX300
Audio receivers: Pioneer Elite, SC-09; Denon, AVR-7200WA, Marantz SR7011
Pre-pro: Marantz AV8802A w/7&5 ch amps
post #7 of 16 Old 08-31-16, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Paul

Robert, thanks for providing insight. A software/firmware update for the P & M (not sure about the R series) series provides HDR10 now.

How does the local dimming of the edge lit LG, which I guess I could envision how it might work, sort of, compare to the Vizio R series 384 zone full array that you have worked with? It is my understanding that the LG supports both Dolby Vision and HDR10. Comparing to an OLED would be unfair, however as they are not in my price range.

Since I have no empirical numbers to deal with, do you have any idea how bright (subjectively) a 7-10 year old Sharp Aquos (fluorescent, I'm sure) would be in comparison to modern LED televisions? Compared to he Vizio R series you have tested?

As I mentioned, the Sharp is bright enough for the environment.

The LG price seems squarely in the middle of the M series $1,248 and P series $1,999 Vizio.

Last edited by aceinc; 08-31-16 at 09:46 PM.
post #8 of 16 Old 09-01-16, 12:32 PM
HTS Sponsor

Industry Insider

Yes, Vizio has a firmware update for the M and P series to decode HDR10, but not the flagship R series.

I don't know the peak lumens would be on your Sharp TV, but any TV you buy today will be much brighter. If you get a Premium HDR capable LCD/LED TV it will deliver at least 1k-nits. For HDR higher lumens is only used for specular highlights so the entire screen is not typically brighter with most content.

For $2,398 you can get LG's flagship 65UH9500, which is a true 10-bit HDR panel. LG's B6 or C6 65" 4K HDR OLED is $3,898 delivered and through authorized dealers LG is running a 18 month interest free finance promotion.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
, Authorized Factory Direct dealers for LG, Samsung, Sony, Panasonic, Pioneer, Elite, Denon, Marantz, Krell, OPPO, Sonance, Definitive Technology, Artison, Leon Speaker Systems & more

Personal equipment:
Video: 2 theaters, Sony's VPL-VW5000ES, 2nd theater, JVC RS66
Family room LG 65" G6 OLED, Gym KRP-500M, Bedroom 65" B6 OLEED, Living room Panasonic 65" VX300
Audio receivers: Pioneer Elite, SC-09; Denon, AVR-7200WA, Marantz SR7011
Pre-pro: Marantz AV8802A w/7&5 ch amps
post #9 of 16 Old 09-01-16, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Paul

If I read what you are saying then, if I find the 7-10 YO fluorescent Sharp Aquos acceptable brightness wise, any new TV including the Vizio M & P series should be at least as bright.

Is there any specific reason that you would recommend against the Vizio?

I generally pay for things except cars & houses with cash (credit card and pay it off at the end of the month). Zero % financing with interest rates as low as they are is actually more of a pain than it is worth. I chose my budget based on what I saw as the knee in the technology/price curve (with a little spousal reality check). When it comes time to replace my 58" Panasonic plasma in the living room, I will look into the OLEDs.

So if brightness is not a concern, and I hear no other reasons not to buy the Vizio, I think they have everything technically I could hope for except OLED. The only decision is;

M-series M65-D0 64 zones of dimming, no wide color gamut, one HDMI 2.0, 4 HDMI 1.4 ports, 720p tablet with 8GB memory as a remote ~ $1,249 delivered.

or

P-series P65-C1 128 zones of dimming wide color gamut, four HDMI 2.0, one HDMI 1.4 ports, 1080p tablet with 16GB memory as a remote ~$1,899 delivered.
post #10 of 16 Old 09-02-16, 12:42 PM
Elite Shackster
Todd Anderson

My System

Hi Paul -

Curious, what kind of content (cable, OTA, Blu-ray, etc) are you watching on the TV?

+1 on Robert's advice... he sees and interacts with these televisions on a daily basis and rubs elbows with lots of the industry's big name experts. His shop, Value Electronics, is very easy to work with if you decide to order through him. I think you'd be very happy.