Moving to 4K - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

1Likes

post #1 of 18 Old 10-07-16, 08:39 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

My System
Moving to 4K

Based on budget, is it too early to jump on the 4K bandwagon? I looked at 4K disc players and they seem prohibitively expensive at the moment, relatively much more than their display counterparts. Until my Yammy dies (I suspect I'll kick the bucket before it does) I can't justify purchasing a new AVR to support 4K pass through. I'm just looking ahead to see how I'm going to evolve my systems. Would it be better to wait a few years before jumping in?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 10-07-16, 01:54 PM
Elite Shackster

Jeff

My System
Re: Moving to 4K

I'd say if you're trying to maximize your bang for buck then yes. The players are still expensive as well as the 4K displays (HDR/WCG). Many will say you can't see a difference but that's simply not true. High Dynamic Range and Wide Color Gamut displays really enhance the viewing experience. If you choose to be an early adopter of technology you will pay a premium. Everyone's priorities are different and it's up to you. I've made the transition and to me well worth it.
post #3 of 18 Old 10-07-16, 02:30 PM
Elite Shackster
Todd Anderson

My System

Just to add (to Jeff's statement), the cheaper 4K UHD players are showing some deficiencies as compared to the Panasonic player. I'm 99% sure the forthcoming OPPO player will match the Panasonic in the performance category...so you're probably looking at a minimum invest of $500 for a player at this point.

What kind of TV are running right now?

post #4 of 18 Old 10-07-16, 03:04 PM
Elite Shackster

Jeff

My System

That's my only regret is my Samsung was the only player available at the time. While I'm fine with it as a player the build quality was lacking for $400. It will be the first thing replaced. What deficiencies have been discovered Todd?
Todd Anderson likes this.
post #5 of 18 Old 10-07-16, 03:51 PM
Elite Shackster
Todd Anderson

My System
Moving to 4K

I've not used it, myself, but have had two different conversations with industry folk and the take home was that the Samsung's chip performance is middling. Again, only what I've heard. No idea if there's any reason that would simply be rumor.

There are certainly important activities that can define picture quality...The chip set is charged with chroma upsampling (information on a disc is encoded in a YCbCr 4:2:0 color space and must be upsampled to 4:4:4) and chroma alignment (upsampled chroma data must align properly with the luma data or else you can get color artifacts/fuzziness). There's also some mathematical color space conversions that need to be performed in addition to video processing (HDR, contrast, color, etc).

That's about the extent of my knowledge... wish I could dig super deep for you!

At the end of the day, the most important factor is what your eye sees. If it looks good to you, roll with it. No reason not too! And I'm certainly not trying to paint Samsung in a bad way - I have no personal experience with the player itself.
post #6 of 18 Old 10-07-16, 03:57 PM
Elite Shackster
Todd Anderson

My System

We might need to do some poking around the net to see if we can find any technical evaluations of performance.... I'd always been told that Blu-ray video performance from player to player was practically the same... but it's looking like 4K discs need a bit more precision?
post #7 of 18 Old 10-07-16, 04:00 PM
Elite Shackster

Jeff

My System

I wish I had another player to compare it to but I don't. I'm still deciding which player I'll be replacing it with. I was really leaning toward the PS4K but from what I've read that flopped. Thought I might just go with the Panasonic and then Oppo's entry gives me pause. The good thing is I don't have to rush so I'll sit back and wait for a champ to be crowned.
post #8 of 18 Old 10-07-16, 04:04 PM
Elite Shackster
Todd Anderson

My System

The New PSK4 doesn't have 4K UHD disc playback... the new Sony player (which I believe will be priced more than the Panasonic) is due later this year / early next year.

I'll see if I can find a source for solid technical reviews...
post #9 of 18 Old 10-07-16, 04:13 PM
Elite Shackster

Jeff

My System

Ok, thanks Todd.
post #10 of 18 Old 10-07-16, 04:31 PM
Elite Shackster
Todd Anderson

My System

Here's a good one: http://www.homecinemachoice.com/news...-blu-ray/23733

Sounds like omissions for the audio enthusiast are most noteworthy... some notes on video differences, but they may not be a huge difference to most eyes...

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/news...-blu-ray/23733