Toshiba 65UL610U - Page 3 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com
Home Theater Shack Forums
Underwood HiFi - Excellent discounts on some awesome name brands. Power Sound Audio designs, develops, and assembles high quality loudspeakers and subwoofers for home theater environments. Visual Apex: The most competitive pricing for home theater projectors... and built on customer satisfaction! SVSound XTZ Sound OPPO Digital - Universal Network 3D Blu-ray Players - Buy Direct from the Manufacturer Chane Music & Cinema Value Electronics: A trusted retailer and custom installer that specializes in whole-house audio, home theater, Plasma, LCD, LED, HDTVs, Blu-ray and more. DSP Axiom Audio

Like Us on facebookREW
Go Back   Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com > Home Theater - Audio / Video > HDTV | Video Displays | Processors
Forgot Password?
Donations Reviews Vendors

Reply     Post New Thread
Views: 11758 - Replies: 82  
Old 09-22-11, 06:12 PM   #21
Shackster

Since: Aug 2011
Re: Toshiba 65UL610U

Quote:
Robert Zohn wrote: View Post
PARDON ME, here's the scoop.... Yes Toshiba is selling this mid-year 2011 intro TV. The UL610U is Toshiba's flagship series. Toshiba starting shipping all sizes on August 20th and it will stay in the line for at least one year till the successor comes out. The older inventory may not have all of the upgraded hardware so be sure to get inventory that was built in August.

This beautiful TV is scheduled to be in our shoot-out event. I'll put the official USA .pdf data sheet on my web site in a few hours.

I should be able to answer any technical questions on this TV as I am good friends with many Toshiba folks in the know. So fire away, but first ask the members of the other sites to join HTS so they can speak with me directly.

-Robert

Ok Robert and thanks for the info and i look forward to your shootout as well an i hope kevin is ok an feeling much better

And if you ask your friends at toshiba if they plan to put this tv on there official website that will be awesome as well .................. http://us.toshiba.com/tv/tv-finder?type=3d%20tv

Thanks

Forum Rules Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-11, 06:24 PM   #22
Shackster

Since: Sep 2011
SE Alabama, USA

Robert,

There was a good bit of miss-information going on the AVS site, and I posted a partial quote and link to this site with your comments about the validity of the 610U indeed being the flagship model. The link to my post is HERE.

If you do not want your comments quoted there, please let me know and I will remove them immediately.

Thanks for clearing this up.

Old 09-22-11, 07:14 PM   #23
HTS Sponsor

Industry Insider
Scarsdale, NY
I started this thread.

Bama29 you are welcome to post my information on other sites, but please give credit to HTS and me.

Also, I would recommend more a/v enthusiast take this opportunity to join this great site so they have more insider and technical information available that otherwise would not be available.

-Robert

Value Electronics, Authorized Factory Direct dealers for LG, Samsung, Sony, Sharp, Pioneer, Elite, Denon, Marantz, Definitive Technology, Artison, Leon Speaker Systems & more

Personal equipment list:
Video: 2 theaters, Sony's VPL-VW600ES, 2nd theater, JVC RS66
Family rm Samsung 64" F8500, Gym KRP-500M, Bedroom TC-P65VT60, Living rm 65" VX300, Den LG 55EC9300 OLED TV
Audio receivers: 2 Pioneer Elites, SC-89, SC-09; Denon, AVR-4520, Marantz SR7009
Pre-pro: Marantz AV8801

Old 09-22-11, 07:20 PM   #24
HTS Sponsor

Industry Insider
Scarsdale, NY
I started this thread.

I will tell you one more thing that I read on other sites and forums that I want to clear up. Toshiba's flagship UL610U series are edge LED Backlighting panels with the ability to control with “fine local dimming” which has multiple local dimming zones. LG's new 55LW9800 employs a very similar technology in the edge lit LW9800 series.

I've been asked to keep the amount of dimming zone confidential, but they have a newly developed technique that features many local dimming zones so the edge lit LEDs can be focused in many precision local dimming zones. We may disclose the amount of local dimming zones on each LCD/LED panel in our shoot-out at the event. The performance will be thoroughly tested and demonstrated at the flat panel shoot-out.

-Robert

Value Electronics, Authorized Factory Direct dealers for LG, Samsung, Sony, Sharp, Pioneer, Elite, Denon, Marantz, Definitive Technology, Artison, Leon Speaker Systems & more

Personal equipment list:
Family rm Samsung 64" F8500, Gym KRP-500M, Bedroom TC-P65VT60, Living rm 65" VX300, Den LG 55EC9300 OLED TV
Audio receivers: 2 Pioneer Elites, SC-89, SC-09; Denon, AVR-4520, Marantz SR7009

Old 09-22-11, 07:31 PM   #25
Shackster

Quote:
I will tell you one more thing that I read on other sites and forums that I want to clear up. Toshiba's flagship UL610U series are edge LED Backlighting panels with the ability to control with “fine local dimming” which has multiple local dimming zones. LG's new 55LW9800 employs a very similar technology in the edge lit LW9800 series.

I've been asked to keep the amount of dimming zone confidential, but they have a newly developed technique that features many local dimming zones so the edge lit LEDs can be focused in many precision local dimming zones. We may disclose the amount of local dimming zones on each LCD/LED panel in our shoot-out at the event. The performance will be thoroughly tested and demonstrated at the flat panel shoot-out.

-Robert

Hey Robert I believe that the Lg lw9800 is full array backlit with 288 local dimming zones and not edgelit, I am 99.9 % sure of this

And also theres another person that just posted at avs, that they were at frys today and this 610u series television is labeled Discontinued, so if you will kindly get with your friends at toshiba and figure this out for us once and for all.

And tell them for there own sake if they are indeed selling this tv, tell them to put the television back up on there website

Thanks Robert

Old 09-22-11, 07:48 PM   #26
HTS Sponsor

Industry Insider
Scarsdale, NY
I started this thread.

PARDON ME, I'm 99.99% sure LG's new Nano LW9800 series is edge lit with what is called "Brilliant edge LED backlighting display". The misleading word they and Toshiba use is "Backlighting display just after they begin discussing the LED technology.

LG's LW9800 is only 1.1" deep and you can't fit LEDs facing forward with 1.1" of overall depth. Sorry LG's LW9800 series is not a full array back-lit TV; it's edge lit with some kind of new local dimming technology built-in.

I'll work on getting LG's LW9800 series .pdf data sheet on my site tonight.

-Robert

Personal equipment list:

Old 09-22-11, 08:58 PM   #27
Shackster

Quote:
PARDON ME, I'm 99.99% sure LG's new Nano LW9800 series is edge lit with what is called "Brilliant edge LED backlighting display". The misleading word they and Toshiba use is "Backlighting display just after they begin discussing the LED technology.

LG's LW9800 is only 1.1" deep and you can't fit LEDs facing forward with 1.1" of overall depth. Sorry LG's LW9800 series is not a full array back-lit TV; it's edge lit with some kind of new local dimming technology built-in.

I'll work on getting LG's LW9800 series .pdf data sheet on my site tonight.

-Robert

Well i normally don't say 100% ( this is why i put 99.9 % ) although i was 100% when making my previous statement, and i was just trying too make sure you had the correct info with my statement but here you go robert

http://www.hdtvmagazine.com/news/201...tification.php

quotes from article

The NANO FULL LED display employs a thin film incorporating a full array of LEDs, giving it more uniform light distribution and detailed local dimming from over two hundred addressable sectors. With more uniform lighting and improved localized dimming in both 2D and 3D modes, this model offers a greater range and life to colors. Add LG's TruMotion 480Hz refresh rate and the overall effect is a picture so smooth, sharp and realistic, it's as if the action is playing out right in viewers' living rooms. With NANO technology, superior picture quality meets stylish design, allowing for an incredibly narrow bezel and thin depth of just 1.08 inches.

At any rate now why i am realy here and getting back to my unanswered question from my previous post..

theres another person that just posted at avs, that they were at frys today and this 610u series television is labeled Discontinued, so Robert if you will kindly get with your friends at toshiba and figure this out for us once and for all.

And tell them for there own sake if they are indeed selling this tv, tell them to put the television back up on there website

Last edited by PARDON ME; 09-22-11 at 09:36 PM..

Old 09-23-11, 06:51 PM   #28
HTS Administrator

Tech Guru
Since: May 2006
Gainesville, FL, USA

Robert,
This model is supposed to have local dimming. How can that be with edge lit backlighting?

"I attribute the little I know to my not having been ashamed to ask for information, and to my rule of conversing with all descriptions of men on those topics that form their own peculiar professions and pursuits." John Locke

Leonard Caillouet MS, CET, MST, ISF

Need Electronic Repairs? Look to these guys first. The Pro Squad are some of the most experienced and reputable servicers anywhere.
http://www.theprosquad.com/index2.aspx

Old 09-23-11, 07:22 PM   #29
HTS Sponsor

Industry Insider
Scarsdale, NY
I started this thread.

PARDON ME, I agree Toshiba should make the UL610U series more easy to find on their site, but it is listed here. Regarding LG's new 55LW9800 I still believe this is an edge lit panel.

Icaillo, I'm just learning about how LG and Toshiba have designed these panels to have local LED dimming zones from an edge lit LED panel. There's a lot to learn and since I'm just finishing my first day of classes I prefer not to say the little I understand so far. I'll be well prepared to explain this new technology at my 10/8 - 10/9 shoot-out event. So now we have a new hybrid of LCD/LED panels the edge LED backlighting display with local dimming zones.

Three methods of employing LED lights to enhance the blacl level and electrical efficiency of otherwise plain instead of conventional CCFL panels that suffered from very poor MLL. For 2011-12 we now have three ways to implement LED into our LCD panels:

1. Edge lit

2. Full array back-lit

3. Edge LED backlighting display with local dimming

I'm also calculating the amount of local dimming zones and trying to find out how many LED lights are in these panels for each size and model.

-Robert

Personal equipment list:

Old 09-23-11, 09:09 PM   #30
Shackster

Quote:
PARDON ME, I agree Toshiba should make the UL610U series more easy to find on their site, but it is listed here. Regarding LG's new 55LW9800 I still believe this is an edge lit panel.

Icaillo, I'm just learning about how LG and Toshiba have designed these panels to have local LED dimming zones from an edge lit LED panel. There's a lot to learn and since I'm just finishing my first day of classes I prefer not to say the little I understand so far. I'll be well prepared to explain this new technology at my 10/8 - 10/9 shoot-out event. So now we have a new hybrid of LCD/LED panels the edge LED backlighting display with local dimming zones.

Three methods of employing LED lights to enhance the blacl level and electrical efficiency of otherwise plain instead of conventional CCFL panels that suffered from very poor MLL. For 2011-12 we now have three ways to implement LED into our LCD panels:

1. Edge lit

2. Full array back-lit

3. Edge LED backlighting display with local dimming

I'm also calculating the amount of local dimming zones and trying to find out how many LED lights are in these panels for each size and model.

-Robert

Hi robert and thanks for the link and yeah in that link even toshiba is saying that this 610u television is no longer available, so i assume they sold whatever stock was left to various internet stores ( even though they pulled this television from there site before it was officially ever released ) and when those stores sell out that will be the end of this tv ...........

And yeah i realize you are just learning about the lg technology that is why i was trying to help you by letting you know that it is not edge lit but it is full array technology

Here is a video explaining a bit of the nano tech in the tv

Last edited by PARDON ME; 09-23-11 at 09:16 PM..

Reply     Post New Thread     Back to Top of Page

Musicians Friend: Your one stop shop for microphones, mic amps and Behringer products.   Cmple   Monoprice Electronics   Amazon   Velodyne Check out the Woot product for today!

Onkyo   GIK Acoustics: Home audio acoustics at its best... especially when you have help from the owners right here at the Shack!  Check out their very affordable acoustic panels!   Nyrius   Aperion Audio   Axiom Audio  Parts Express: Excellent Source for DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Projects!

« Home Theater Shack > Home Theater - Audio / Video > HDTV | Video Displays | Processors »

« Previous Thread   Next Thread »