Toshiba 65UL610U - Page 4 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com
Home Theater Shack Forums
Marantz OPPO Digital - Universal Network 3D Blu-ray Players - Buy Direct from the Manufacturer Chane Music & Cinema Madisound Parts Express: Excellent Source for DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Projects! Musicians Friend: Your one stop shop for microphones, mic amps and Behringer products. Value Electronics: A trusted retailer and custom installer that specializes in whole-house audio, home theater, Plasma, LCD, LED, HDTVs, Blu-ray and more. Genelec: Active Speakers and Speaker Systems Audio General, Inc.: Great deals on projectors, screens and electronics. Underwood HiFi - Excellent discounts on some awesome name brands. Power Sound Audio designs, develops, and assembles high quality loudspeakers and subwoofers for home theater environments. Visual Apex: The most competitive pricing for home theater projectors... and built on customer satisfaction! SVSound Emotiva is your Home Theater Component Source for Audiophile Quality Home Theater Equipment at Factory Direct Prices Newegg: The perfect solution for all your HTPC and media server build needs! Creative Sound Solutions: Loudspeaker kits and components for subwoofers, midwoofers, woofers and full range speakers! XTZ Sound

Like Us on facebookREW
Go Back   Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com > Home Theater - Audio / Video > HDTV | Video Displays | Processors
Forgot Password?
Donations Reviews Vendors

Reply     Post New Thread
Views: 11174 - Replies: 82  
Old 09-23-11, 08:39 PM   #31
HTS Sponsor

Industry Insider
Since: Aug 2011
Scarsdale, NY
I started this thread.
Re: Toshiba 65UL610U

PARDON ME, thanks for the video, I actually love these nicely discussed, yet important conversations. I honestly don't know for 100% sure myself, because I drawing my conclusions drawn from the 1.1" panel depth and from my skill, knowledge then I take the leap and say it's edge lit LED technology that has been enhanced to have multiple local dimming zones.

Not sure if I caught this correctly, so I'll listen to the video again, but I did think they described a back-lit full array LED they did not specifically say the words "full array" It does seem to demonstrate a light edition of what sounds like a full array back-lit panel. But I still think it's the new edge lit technology that adopts the buzz word backlighting in it's marketing phrase.

Anyway I have one more link to the LG product page for the LW9800 that I don't think have been posted before now. This one came from a LG contact when I told him it was being discussed on HTS. If you select the Features tab and scroll down to the LED LED heading the following is a cut and paste from the description of the LW9800:

Brilliant edge LED backlighting display delivers crystal-clear images, true blacks, and the most vivid, life-like colors on a slim screen.

I'm actually still not 100% sure as I can can bad information and even rarely as it may happen, big changes can happen before launching, but I'm still feeling that this is a very nice upgraded edge lit multi-zone dimming LCD/LED panel with great processing power, nice GUI, and thin and reasonably priced with a great pq and overall design.

Let's see how everything turns out at Value Electronics' O.K. Corral shoot-out event.

-Robert

Value Electronics, Authorized and Factory Direct dealers for LG, Samsung, Sony, Sharp, Pioneer, Elite, Denon, Marantz, Definitive Technology, Artison and Leon Speaker Systems & more

Personal home theater equipment list:
Video: 2 theaters, Multi format theater Sony's VPL-VW600ES, 2nd theater, JVC RS66
Family room Samsung 64" F8500, Gym KRP-500M, Bedroom TC-P65VT60, Living room 65" VX300
Audio receivers: 2 Pioneer Elites, SC-79, SC-09; Denon, AVR-4520, Marantz SR7008
Pre-pro: Marantz AV8801

Forum Rules Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-11, 09:50 PM   #32
Shackster

Quote:
Robert Zohn wrote: View Post
PARDON ME, thanks for the video, I actually love these nicely discussed, yet important conversations. I honestly don't know for 100% sure myself, because I drawing my conclusions drawn from the 1.1" panel depth and from my skill, knowledge then I take the leap and say it's edge lit LED technology that has been enhanced to have multiple local dimming zones.

Not sure if I caught this correctly, so I'll listen to the video again, but I did think they described a back-lit full array LED they did not specifically say the words "full array" It does seem to demonstrate a light edition of what sounds like a full array back-lit panel. But I still think it's the new edge lit technology that adopts the buzz word backlighting in it's marketing phrase.

Anyway I have one more link to the LG product page for the LW9800 that I don't think have been posted before now. This one came from a LG contact when I told him it was being discussed on HTS. If you select the Features tab and scroll down to the LED LED heading the following is a cut and paste from the description of the LW9800:

Brilliant edge LED backlighting display delivers crystal-clear images, true blacks, and the most vivid, life-like colors on a slim screen.

I'm actually still not 100% sure as I can can bad information and even rarely as it may happen, big changes can happen before launching, but I'm still feeling that this is a very nice upgraded edge lit multi-zone dimming LCD/LED panel with great processing power, nice GUI, and thin and reasonably priced with a great pq and overall design.

Let's see how everything turns out at Value Electronics' O.K. Corral shoot-out event.

-Robert

Ahh now this is interesting indeed because i have been following the uk version of this television the 980t because theres much more talk about lg overseas than in than in the usa and i knew we were getting the 9800 tv so i thought obviously all will be good with this tv, with the assumption that it was the same as uk version ............ And this tv specs have been available on the lg uk site with all the full array specs and such.. but the 9800 series is not even on the usa site yet and had not looked at lg canada link you posted...

here is the lg uk link of the 980t that the 9800 is supposed to be the same as the usa version

http://www.lg.com/uk/tv-audio-video/...v-55LW980T.jsp

Go to the features and you will not see the edgelit picture with the leds goin around the outside of the television an no mention of edgelit baclighting like on the canada lg site

and if you go to the specifications section you will see 288 blocks ( dimming zone ) and local dimming ..Yes

That part about dimming blocks and also local dimming is not listed on canadas lg site ...

So i will need to get with my sources and find out what is goin on because i have done alot of research about the 980t with the assumption the 9800 will be the precise same tv and i will be mad if they made the us version of this tv and edgelit tv

So just like arnold

I will be back...................!!!

Last edited by PARDON ME; 09-23-11 at 10:01 PM..

Old 09-23-11, 10:30 PM   #33
HTS Sponsor

Industry Insider
Scarsdale, NY
I started this thread.

And the plot thickens... Fun stuff, for now I'm sticking with my gut, don't think you can make a full array back-lit panel that's 1.1" deep. Do you know the depth of the UK 980t?

-Robert

Value Electronics, Authorized and Factory Direct dealers for LG, Samsung, Sony, Sharp, Pioneer, Elite, Denon, Marantz, Definitive Technology, Artison and Leon Speaker Systems & more

Video: 2 theaters, Multi format theater Sony's VPL-VW600ES, 2nd theater, JVC RS66
Family room Samsung 64" F8500, Gym KRP-500M, Bedroom TC-P65VT60, Living room 65" VX300
Audio receivers: 2 Pioneer Elites, SC-79, SC-09; Denon, AVR-4520, Marantz SR7008

Old 09-23-11, 11:04 PM   #34
Shackster

Quote:
And the plot thickens... Fun stuff, for now I'm sticking with my gut, don't think you can make a full array back-lit panel that's 1.1" deep. Do you know the depth of the UK 980t?

-Robert

The 980t cosmetically is the same as the lw9800 and if i am correct they are reusing the same cabinet,frame design for the external look as last year on the lx9500, and the 980t is just a much improved version of this television with nano tech with passive 3d

but as far as depth goes and not bein able to do full array with the slim depth, like i said in this post this is the same external design cosmetically as last years lx9500 that was full array with local dimming with that same depth, as a matter of fact let me show you a video of that tv that i believe you will be familiar with ...........

I am in the process of messaging with a lg rep regarding the 9800 issues but probly will not have a answer till monday but i know the 980t is full array and like i said i will be furious if for some reason they dumbed down the usa release to edgelit but we will see.......

Last edited by PARDON ME; 09-23-11 at 11:10 PM..

Old 09-24-11, 12:15 AM   #35
HTS Sponsor

Industry Insider
Scarsdale, NY
I started this thread.

PARDON ME, thanks for embedding the Youtube of our 2010 shoot-out event.

I'll do more research as well.

-Robert

Old 09-24-11, 11:18 AM   #36
Shackster

Quote:
PARDON ME, thanks for embedding the Youtube of our 2010 shoot-out event.

I'll do more research as well.

-Robert
Your welcome Robert and i just watched that video some more and i am sure it was just a simple error on your part but if you watch the 1st 40 seconds of the video as she explains that the television is full array technology, you have information scrolling at the bottom of the screen saying it is edge lit. Just wanted too let you know ..

And yeah i am doin more research as well as looking forward to your television shoot-out this year

Old 09-24-11, 11:35 AM   #37
HTS Sponsor

Industry Insider
Scarsdale, NY
I started this thread.

PARDON ME, ^^ Thanks for the correction.

I've double confirmed with the man in the know at Toshiba that the UL610U series is in the line for the remainder of the 2011 model year and they just received a container load of the three sizes. I think we'll see Toshiba edit the statement about the status of the UL610U series.

I may be all wrong here, but now I thinking the EU 980t model is a different TV.

-Robert

Old 09-24-11, 12:08 PM   #38
Shackster

Since: Sep 2011
SE Alabama, USA

Quote:

I've double confirmed with the man in the know at Toshiba that the UL610U series is in the line for the remainder of the 2011 model year and they just received a container load of the three sizes. I think we'll see Toshiba edit the statement about the status of the UL610U series.

I may be all wrong here, but now I thinking the EU 980t model is a different TV.

-Robert
I am now officially confused...

I am not sure if we are expecting Full array or edge lit.

Old 09-24-11, 12:09 PM   #39
Shackster

Quote:

-Robert
Thanks for your info on the toshibas, that is good news.. An i am waiting for the LGs reps response on the comparison between the 980t and the 9800

Old 09-24-11, 12:52 PM   #40
HTS Sponsor

Industry Insider
Scarsdale, NY
I started this thread.

Quote:
Bama29 wrote: View Post
I am now officially confused...

I am not sure if we are expecting Full array or edge lit.
I'm sticking with edge lit on both Toshiba's UL610U series and LG's LW9800 series. But I'm not 100% sure on the LG model, just 99.99% sure.

I've also confirmed that Toshiba has just received their second large allotment of UL610Us for USA distribution all three sizes and it will be in the line for model year.

-Robert

Reply     Post New Thread     Back to Top of Page

Check out the Woot product for today!   Musicians Friend: Your one stop shop for microphones, mic amps and Behringer products.   Cmple   Monoprice Electronics   Amazon   Velodyne

Parts Express: Excellent Source for DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Projects!   Onkyo   GIK Acoustics: Home audio acoustics at its best... especially when you have help from the owners right here at the Shack!  Check out their very affordable acoustic panels!   Nyrius   Aperion Audio   Axiom Audio

« Home Theater Shack > Home Theater - Audio / Video > HDTV | Video Displays | Processors »

« Previous Thread   Next Thread »