Toshiba 65UL610U - Page 5 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com
Home Theater Shack Forums
Marantz OPPO Digital - Universal Network 3D Blu-ray Players - Buy Direct from the Manufacturer Chane Music & Cinema Madisound Parts Express: Excellent Source for DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Projects! Musicians Friend: Your one stop shop for microphones, mic amps and Behringer products. Value Electronics: A trusted retailer and custom installer that specializes in whole-house audio, home theater, Plasma, LCD, LED, HDTVs, Blu-ray and more. Genelec: Active Speakers and Speaker Systems Audio General, Inc.: Great deals on projectors, screens and electronics. Underwood HiFi - Excellent discounts on some awesome name brands. Power Sound Audio designs, develops, and assembles high quality loudspeakers and subwoofers for home theater environments. Visual Apex: The most competitive pricing for home theater projectors... and built on customer satisfaction! SVSound Emotiva is your Home Theater Component Source for Audiophile Quality Home Theater Equipment at Factory Direct Prices Newegg: The perfect solution for all your HTPC and media server build needs! Creative Sound Solutions: Loudspeaker kits and components for subwoofers, midwoofers, woofers and full range speakers! XTZ Sound

Like Us on facebookREW
Go Back   Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com > Home Theater - Audio / Video > HDTV | Video Displays | Processors
Forgot Password?
Donations Reviews Vendors

Reply     Post New Thread
Views: 11127 - Replies: 82  
Old 09-24-11, 01:09 PM   #41
Shackster

Since: Sep 2011
SE Alabama, USA
Re: Toshiba 65UL610U

Quote:
Robert Zohn wrote: View Post
I'm sticking with edge lit on both Toshiba's UL610U series and LG's LW9800 series. But I'm not 100% sure on the LG model, just 99.99% sure.

I've also confirmed that Toshiba has just received their second large allotment of UL610Us for USA distribution all three sizes and it will be in the line for model year.

-Robert
Thanks Robert,

I guess all will be revealed in a couple of weeks at your place!

Forum Rules Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-11, 02:04 PM   #42
Shackster

Since: Aug 2011

Quote:
I'm sticking with edge lit on both Toshiba's UL610U series and LG's LW9800 series. But I'm not 100% sure on the LG model, just 99.99% sure.

I've also confirmed that Toshiba has just received their second large allotment of UL610Us for USA distribution all three sizes and it will be in the line for model year.

-Robert
Hey Robert i believe that someone on canadas lg site goofed when they put that edgelit description and pic on the site for the 9800 because upon further inspection of the site they have been using that same description and picture for the 5600 and 6500 which have been out for some time now and are Edgelit and i believe they just goofed up by and put that same description and picture on the 9800 by mistake

http://www.lg.com/ca_en/tv-audio-vid...v-47LW6500.jsp

http://www.lg.com/ca_en/tv-audio-vid...v-55LW5600.jsp

go to features on both linkss and you will see the same pic and description

So with all that said i will go back to my statement that i am 100% sure that the 9800 is a full array television lol

Last edited by PARDON ME; 09-24-11 at 02:24 PM..

Old 09-24-11, 02:28 PM   #43
HTS Sponsor

Industry Insider
Scarsdale, NY
I started this thread.

Quote:
PARDON ME wrote: View Post
Hey Robert i believe that someone on canadas lg site goofed when they put that edgelit description and pic on the site for the 9800 because upon further inspection of the site they have been using that same description and picture for the 5600 and 6500 which have been out for some time now and are Edgelit and i believe they just goofed up by and put that same description and picture on the 9800 by mistake

http://www.lg.com/ca_en/tv-audio-vid...v-47LW6500.jsp

http://www.lg.com/ca_en/tv-audio-vid...v-55LW5600.jsp

go to features on both linkss and you will see the same pic and description

So with all that said i will go back to my statement that i am 100% sure that the 9800 is a full array television lol
Okay, I may have to eat crow on this one, we'll see..... That's why I said I'm only 99.99% sure on the LG, but I am 100% sure on Toshiba's UL610U series. Website mistakes are rare and it's hard to understand how they can fit full array facing forward LEDs in a cabinet that is 1.1" thick.

-Robert

Value Electronics, Authorized and Factory Direct dealers for LG, Samsung, Sony, Sharp, Pioneer, Elite, Denon, Marantz, Definitive Technology, Artison and Leon Speaker Systems & more

Personal home theater equipment list:
Video: 2 theaters, Multi format theater Sony's VPL-VW600ES, 2nd theater, JVC RS66
Family room Samsung 64" F8500, Gym KRP-500M, Bedroom TC-P65VT60, Living room 65" VX300
Audio receivers: 2 Pioneer Elites, SC-79, SC-09; Denon, AVR-4520, Marantz SR7008
Pre-pro: Marantz AV8801

Old 09-29-11, 09:11 PM   #44
Shackster

Hey Robert i have been away for a bit but i too enjoyed our friendly conversation we had goin within this thread..

With the shootout just around the corner do you have the 610u and the 9800 in your possession ?

At any rate I am very much looking forward to your shootout coming soon

Old 09-30-11, 01:38 PM   #45
Shackster

Quote:
Okay, I may have to eat crow on this one, we'll see..... That's why I said I'm only 99.99% sure on the LG, but I am 100% sure on Toshiba's UL610U series. Website mistakes are rare and it's hard to understand how they can fit full array facing forward LEDs in a cabinet that is 1.1" thick.

-Robert

I also see that finally LGs 9800 series television has made its way too the usa site

http://www.lg.com/us/tv-audio-video/...v-55LW9800.jsp

Old 11-24-11, 09:51 AM   #46
Shackster

Switch
Since: Nov 2011

Hi
Since i'm new here let me introduce myself .
My name is Frank
i live near Montreal and i'm considered by my entourage a bit of a maniac in the Home Entertainment field.
We have 2 complete HT in the house along with 2 more flat screens,2 laptops and 1 desktop
An XBOX and a WII several games and about 850 DVDs and BluRays
1 room in our basement is totaly dedicated to home entertainment only
My latest purchase was the Toshiba 65UL610U Cinema Series 65'' 480mhz LED TV.
I've posted a review on Amazon.
Since i cant post a link here,you can read it by typing the model in the search field of there website.
I already called Toshiba to get my problem fixed and i'm wating for a technicien to call me back for an appointement.I hope they will fixe my issue and if not i will be very dissapointed with this set.
If anyone has a similar problem or knows about this issue feel free to let me know what you think.

Old 11-24-11, 10:10 AM   #47
HTS Administrator

Tech Guru
Since: May 2006
Gainesville, FL, USA

Welcome to Home Theater Shack, Frank. We hope that you will become part of the HTS community and enjoy both contributing to help others and find value in what others have posted.

Why not post your review and your problem here rather than suggesting that we go search on Amazon for the information?

You will be able to post links, and we have post padding threads for getting your post count up, but if you are interested in the forum, post your info here.

"I attribute the little I know to my not having been ashamed to ask for information, and to my rule of conversing with all descriptions of men on those topics that form their own peculiar professions and pursuits." John Locke

Leonard Caillouet MS, CET, MST, ISF

Need Electronic Repairs? Look to these guys first. The Pro Squad are some of the most experienced and reputable servicers anywhere.
http://www.theprosquad.com/index2.aspx

Old 11-24-11, 07:24 PM   #48
Inactive

Ty
Since: Aug 2010
Panama City Fl

Quote:
lcaillo wrote: View Post
Why not post your review and your problem here rather than suggesting that we go search on Amazon for the information?
Here's his review. Welcome to HTS Frank, sorry you are having issues with your new TV.

Quote:
Got this very good looking 65'' last week and at first i was super exited until i discovered a few little things i didn't like.

First,when i unpaked this monster and took the plastic peel off the foot stand,there was a few little scratches on it.
I wondered what could've caused this and thought it's nothing much and if i was going to hang it up on the wall,who cares.

The real disapointment came when i started tweeking the picture.
When i first turned it on,i saw some kind of gostly white spots,4 of them in the middle of the screen and some around the edges.
They appear when i switch inputs or change channels on the cable HD decoder and the screen is empty for a few seconds.
I thought that if i played with the settings,i'll probably make them go away but it seems impossible to get rid of this.
These spots will even sometimes lightly appear thru the screen during some dark scenes of movies.
I've also noticed some kind of curtain showing up over very white scenes like when you watch hockey for example,this smuge like curtain will be very noticible when the camera moves over the ice.
To me,this can get very annoying

There is a mega load of adjustments you can make on this set (maybe to much) and it gets a little difficult to find the perfect settings.
When i read the not so detailed 106 pages instructions that i had to download from Toshiba's web-site because they were not included in the box (they only include a quick start-up booklet),i found out that the whites ''can or should be balanced'' with a special electronic device. Maybe thats why i get these spots and smuge.
I guess i'll have to call Toshiba to get more details on this and when i do,i'll try to refresh my review.

Overall this TV is very impressive.
It's super thin and has a beautifull desing.The backlite remote is very cool ans sleek as well.
It has all the connectivity needed altough it lacks at least one real RGB composite entry instead of some 3 in 1 cheapy adaptor plugs...
Wi-Fi works perfectly and pretty much all the gadgets and features are what you'd expect.

In gaming mode,my XBOX games never looked as amazing as now.
Connected to my Pioneer 7.1 receiver,this baby delivered outstanding response to graphics.
What a rush we got playing NFS or Alice Madness...Wow !

Active 3D is also very impressive and works very well.
But the 2D to 3D convertion is not worth the effort watching an entire 2 hours movie.
You'll get more of an a headache then a joy.But it works fairly good.Not more.
Glasses can be recharged directly on the set via the 2 USB slots on the back.
3 adaptor plugs for connecting other non HDMI devices and 2 pairs of glasses are included.
2 extra pairs also came for free as a promotion.

In conclusion,I'm happy with this TV but i regret a bit buying it.
My first option was to go with Panasonic plasma GT or VT but the price of this one was so low,(the store made such an obvious mistake on the price),i had to jump on the deal.Now I'm stuck with it.
My advise,if you dont mind paying a little more for top quality,then go with Panasonic high end plasmas and avoid all the dissapointement.
http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-65UL61...owViewpoints=0

Old 11-30-11, 02:14 PM   #49
Shackster

Switch
Since: Nov 2011

Quote:

-Robert
Hello Robert

If i understant well you seem to have some contacts at Toshiba.
I was wondering if you could help me with my issue.
I think that this TV is not edgelite and that's what's causing my problem.
I'm no technicien but i'm just trying to understand why i'm having these spots in the screen.
A repair man came to my house without tools just an i-phone to take pictures of my TV and told me that Toshiba needed proof of defect before doing anything.
Of course he could not have a decent picture that shows the spots in question.
He left telling me he would E-Mail Toshiba with an explaination and let me know what happens next.
It's been 3 days now and no news.I'll wait a little more before getting upset.
Have you had a chance to take a look a this set yet ?
I sure would like to get your impression on this one.

Old 11-30-11, 03:01 PM   #50
HTS Administrator

Steve Mechelke -mech
Since: Feb 2007
Empire Township, MN
My System

Can you take a picture of it yourself with a decent camera? It would be best to have the image paused when taking the picture so you may have to use a dvd or blu ray disc unless you have a pvr.

Reply     Post New Thread     Back to Top of Page

Check out the Woot product for today!   Musicians Friend: Your one stop shop for microphones, mic amps and Behringer products.   Cmple   Monoprice Electronics   Amazon   Velodyne

Parts Express: Excellent Source for DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Projects!   Onkyo   GIK Acoustics: Home audio acoustics at its best... especially when you have help from the owners right here at the Shack!  Check out their very affordable acoustic panels!   Nyrius   Aperion Audio   Axiom Audio

« Home Theater Shack > Home Theater - Audio / Video > HDTV | Video Displays | Processors »

« Previous Thread   Next Thread »