Will the screen size of 10 inches make a difference? - Page 4 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com
Home Theater Shack Forums
Newegg: The perfect solution for all your HTPC and media server build needs! Creative Sound Solutions: Loudspeaker kits and components for subwoofers, midwoofers, woofers and full range speakers! XTZ Sound Marantz OPPO Digital - Universal Network 3D Blu-ray Players - Buy Direct from the Manufacturer Chane Music & Cinema Madisound Parts Express: Excellent Source for DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Projects! Musicians Friend: Your one stop shop for microphones, mic amps and Behringer products. Value Electronics: A trusted retailer and custom installer that specializes in whole-house audio, home theater, Plasma, LCD, LED, HDTVs, Blu-ray and more. Genelec: Active Speakers and Speaker Systems Audio General, Inc.: Great deals on projectors, screens and electronics. Underwood HiFi - Excellent discounts on some awesome name brands. Power Sound Audio designs, develops, and assembles high quality loudspeakers and subwoofers for home theater environments. Visual Apex: The most competitive pricing for home theater projectors... and built on customer satisfaction! SVSound Emotiva is your Home Theater Component Source for Audiophile Quality Home Theater Equipment at Factory Direct Prices

Like Us on facebookREW
Go Back   Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com > Home Theater - Audio / Video > HDTV | Video Displays | Processors
Forgot Password?
Donations Reviews Vendors

Reply     Post New Thread
Views: 6121 - Replies: 104  
Old 10-05-11, 08:50 PM   #31
Elite Shackster

Since: Apr 2010
I started this thread.
Re: Will 10 Inches Make a Difference?

Quote:
KalaniP wrote: View Post
"Immersive" the way you get when you are 1.5x screen width distance from the screen? No.

More immersive than you have now, with the smaller set? Absolutely.
Oh, well I didn't mean "immersive" in the "extreme" sense of the definition, like if it will seem as though a theater screen from the multiplex is in our living room...I just wanted to know if films will seem "more impactful" going up to the 60...

Quote:
Sharp licensed the Elite moniker from Pioneer, and hired a bunch of their Kuro techs to help them develop this new line. They are direct descendents of the Pio Elite lineage, no doubt. However, IMO, due to some (not yet solved) inherent limitations in LCD tech, they don't quite match the Pio Kuros, although they beat them in size, of course, and a few other measures.
I see. Interesting.

I am seeing the Sharp 70-inch sets everywhere now -- we just went to a local RC Willey where they had one of these on display (as well as all of the gigantic Mitsubishis from the 65 inch up to the 92 inch DLP) and I saw one in Best Buy yesterday. PQ looks pretty impressive.

Quote:
I just like more space to move around, and that low boy cabinet forces people farther from the screen, reducing the chance that some drunk party guest (or a child!) will damage my screen. If I had the square footage in my house, I would LOVE to build a set... regardless of depth... into the wall so everything is flush. Very cool look, plus lots of storage. The downside to that, however, is something I've seen way too many times: It locks you into a size limit on the TV (and everything else) for future upgrades. My father-in-law LOVES good TVs, and can afford pretty much anything he wants, but the built-in entertainment center he had custom made many years ago covering the entire wall accommodates 55" MAX, so until he's ready to tear EVERYTHING out, there's no way for him to go bigger.
And indeed, that is a downside to that kind of arrangement, no doubt -- exactly what we are experiencing now. We thought that MAYBE we could go with a 70-inch screen but now the reality is that the 60 would be pushing it because of this wall unit we have. BUT...it sure does make the living room look warm and inviting, and it definitely works on our long wall instead of wall mounting a display, which would make this wall look totally cold and naked...

Quote:
DLP sets are tiny compared to CRT of similar size. The only difference between DLP size and LCD/Plasma size, however, is depth. You can have a 65" Plasma or LCD set that's a mere 2-3" thick, but a 65" DLP is ~18" thick (~44" tall, close to the LCD/Plasma) ... while the 65" CRT is a whopping 28" deep (and 62" tall!). Plus, with CRT, the whole cabinet will be squared off in a single rectangular block, unlike the sculpted sloping sides of a DLP. (OTOH, this is why you need a stand with DLP, whereas CRT is it's own stand!)
Yes, I'm aware of the differences there -- but, there's just so much more to say about these comparisons as well...the fact that rear projection microdisplays are way bulkier than sleek LCDs and plasmas, yet they are dramatically smaller than the CRT floor-sitting giants they once were etc., etc.

You know what I have been finding in stores now that we're shopping for a bigger screen that has really been bothering me? Most LCDs and plasmas we are physically touching feel like cardboard props compared to the heft of my 50" SXRD set -- we lifted a Sony 60" LCD in Best Buy yesterday, and it was wobbling and moving like it was a plastic prop, not a real TV...that really got to me. I wish I could blow up my SXRD to 60-inch size with the press of a button...

As an aside, yesterday while drooling over the 70" Elite at Magnolia, a possible solution came to me re the issue of lost viewing distance/depth that you get when upgrading from a deep TV to a flat panel: Spend a some money on a really good quality extending TV mount for the set. There are mounts with articulating arms that can allow you to pull the set even 2 feet away from the wall (maybe more). This would let you bring the TV that full 2' farther into the room for formal viewing where immersion is really desired, while keeping the open space in the room during regular living room use needs, and for routine casual television viewing. (No need for immersion to watch a sitcom, but it's nice when you're watching an action movie or hosting a viewing party.) Since this solution came to me, I'll be giving more serious consideration to replacing my 65" RPTV with a 65" flat panel, since I won't lose as much (or any) perceived size as I had feared.[/QUOTE]

5.1:
ONKYO TX-SR605B - oppo BDP-83 - SONY KDS-50A2020 SXRD
Mains:
polkaudio RTi12 - Center: polkaudio CSi30 - Surrounds: SpeakerCraft Preinstalled In-Ceiling - Sub: polkaudio PSW350 - Auralex SubDude - MONSTER PowerCenter HT700

"THE LOFT" (2-CHANNEL):

ONKYO TX-8555 - marantz CC4001 - TASCAM CD-RW900SL PROFESSIONAL - Numark CD MIX-1 PROFESSIONAL - Infinity by HARMAN PRIMUS P363BK
- Bell'O AT-423T Audio Tower

Forum Rules Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-11, 08:56 PM   #32
Elite Shackster

I started this thread.

Quote:
lcaillo wrote: View Post
Precisely.
Immersive is a subjective and personal concept. No one can tell you how immersive is enough to satisfy you. There is certainly a significant difference in 10 inches at 50-60" sets, IMO, but what is enough or too much for different people will vary. IMO neither is immersive. For others it may be plenty so.

Leonard,

I think I have been a bit misleading in terms of my meaning with the word "immersive" -- let me please clarify for everyone participating in the thread (and I thank you all) because I know where you're coming from. When I use the term "immersive," of course I am aware that none of these kinds of TV screens/displays will make you feel like you're sitting in the local cineplex with a 200 foot screen in front of you...nor will it compare to those of you and others all across the world involved in this hobby that have the giant front projection setups that mimic a professional theater -- all I was trying to ascertain was whether or not there will be a perceived increase in "cinematic impact" going from the 50 to a 60-inch display at our current seating distance because we cannot move or change that distance.

I would absolutely love to have a dedicated room with seating rows and a massive screen with front projection technology -- unfortunately, I could in no way, shape or form afford this kind of setup at the moment nor could our home house such a room. The living room we're in has to double as a "viewing/home theater" area, and as such, we must get TV displays in this room to work. Thus, I have no choice but to look for another TV screen that's simply bigger.

So, perhaps "immersive" was the wrong word to be using here -- I am just trying to figure out if films on Blu-ray and DVD will seem a bit more impactful on a screen only 10 inches larger. Not immersive to the point that it feels exactly cinematic -- but more impactful than what we're getting from our 50...

5.1:
Mains:
polkaudio RTi12 - Center: polkaudio CSi30 - Surrounds: SpeakerCraft Preinstalled In-Ceiling - Sub: polkaudio PSW350 - Auralex SubDude - MONSTER PowerCenter HT700

"THE LOFT" (2-CHANNEL):

ONKYO TX-8555 - marantz CC4001 - TASCAM CD-RW900SL PROFESSIONAL - Numark CD MIX-1 PROFESSIONAL - Infinity by HARMAN PRIMUS P363BK

Old 10-05-11, 09:06 PM   #33
Elite Shackster

I started this thread.

Quote:
mojojojo wrote: View Post
Osage_Winter, my screen is a 55 inch plasma. In the end, if the movie is good, you will be pulled in and forget about everything else and just enjoy the movie; if it's not then it doesn't matter how large the screen is.
You're absolutely right; something to definitely consider and chew on.

Quote:
I know what letterboxing and pillarboxing are, and I know 1:85 and those formats are the original scope of the movie, but the important content is always on the middle and would prefer to fill my 16:9 screen then see a movie so thin that it makes no sense watching it on tv.
I understand what you're saying about knowing about the 1.85/1.78 formats filling a 16:9 frame -- I was merely pointing out that the letterboxing on the 2.40/2.35 transfers are necessary in order to view the film the way the makers/director intended us to. I don't like the letterboxing either -- but to call the experience a "thin" presentation is a bit misleading IMO...it's not that the film looks "thin," but it's that with proper anamorphic enhancement (which most DVDs contain and all Blu-rays are encoded with) these black areas aren't so annoying as to take you out of the story. If anything, I think we can apply your theory above about the size of the screen and getting caught up in the film moreso to the letterboxing bars -- I find that when I'm watching the 2.35/2.40 films, and if I am into the story, the letterboxing doesn't bother me nearly as much as it did when I first entered the hobby and was watching DVDs on a 4:3 TV; the letterboxing on that set was absolutely horrendous...

That said -- I would prefer all material to fill my screen, as you say; I have found that Blu-ray transfers do not allow any kind of stretching to be done within the 1080p encode for some reason, but I actually haven't checked that out on my current Oppo BD player (my previous Panasonic DMP-BD10A player did not allow zooming of 1080p material).

Quote:
For the Elite name, Sharp bought the rights to the name, but not the Kuro tech; those went to Panasonic who bought the rights to the Kuro tech.
Interesting; Kalani was explaining this to me earlier in the thread...

5.1:
Mains:

"THE LOFT" (2-CHANNEL):

Old 10-05-11, 09:17 PM   #34
Elite Shackster

I started this thread.

Well, folks, the wife actually thought after we went to a Best Buy yesterday to look at TVs that we would have been better off looking at 70 inch screens -- that's right -- as in the store, the 60 inch looked tiny on their wall of displays and she felt it would make no more impact than the 50 we have now...

Of course, this was under heavy flourescent lighting and amongst dozens of other displays around the 60 -- one of which was the 70" Sharp right above it, which of course dwarfed the 60 we were looking at. Alas -- when we got home and took measurements, it was clear there was absolutely no way we were getting a 70 inch screen in our entertainment center, and it would take buying a new wall unit which would push the ends out way too much on this wall to even fit our Polk RTi12 front channel towers on either side, plus our sub. So even if we sprung for a new wall unit, or tried to modify the one we have now, a 70 inch screen just isn't going to work in this room...

And so we're back to looking at 60's -- I need to know that a 60 is going to be dramatically different than the 50 we have now once we get it home and hooked up. We went to a local RC Willey store today and looked at more TVs and wall units, and the salesman told me two things that interested (and concerned) me -- first, he showed us a 60" set right next to a 52" set, and told me to notice how much bigger the 60 seemed. He went on to explain that with our 50, the 60 will seem even BIGGER than it does next to the 52 in the store. BUT -- again, there was a 70" display right below these, so the 52 and 60 both looked tiny...

Next, he told me we wouldn't find a wall unit to accomodate a 70-inch display -- at least not one with bridging and shelving on the top (to hold our center channel) or with such a "put together" look like with the one we have now. He showed us one wall unit they sold there which had no back panel in the area you'd put the TV, with a massive open space and awkward shelving pieces to the left and right; he said this was the only one THEY sold that would allow a 70 incher to fit. Both my wife and I didn't like this piece.

So, it seems we have to somehow make a 60 inch flat screen work in this wall unit we have now. If I can be assured that there will be an "impact" difference when watching film on a screen 10 inches bigger, I would feel more comfortable making the purchase...

5.1:
Mains:

"THE LOFT" (2-CHANNEL):

Old 10-05-11, 11:13 PM   #35
Senior Shackster

Since: Aug 2010
Red Deer, Alberta, Canada

As was mentioned earlier in this thread, the only way to KNOW if the extra 10" will make enough difference is to view your current setup from 2' closer. Remember, no one else here is sitting in your living room, so our opinions on immersiveness don't count. My suggestion would be to place a stool immediately in front of your couch, and watch from the stool for 15 minutes, then move back to the couch for 15. Do this a few times. If you resent moving to the couch, buy a bigger TV. If you resent moving to the stool, keep your cash. If it's not immersive enough to compensate you for the discomfort of the stool then it's not immersive enough to compensate you for your hard earned money.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
People think I'm strange, does it make me a stranger?

Old 11-09-11, 09:59 PM   #36
Elite Shackster

I started this thread.

UPDATE:

Okay. We had a handyman over tonight to take care of some stuff for us, and I discussed with him the possibility of modifying our wall unit so that it may fit a 70" display in it -- he actually said it was possible, because the pieces were modular, so it could open up to accomodate the larger screen. He would have to do some custom modification work because there would be some gaps between the area where the screen sits and the cabinets on either side, but it would still be much more cost effective compared to ditching this entire wall unit for a new one to hold a 70" screen, which is what we thought we would have to do if we wanted a screen 20 inches larger than the 50" we have now. As it stands, he did some measurements and found that we could JUST fit a 60" in our space, like I suspected, and could fit a 65" with very little modifications on his part...

So, the question now becomes -- will I definitely get a more immersive, more impactful experience going from our 50" SXRD to a 70" LCD? Is the 20-inch jump more worth it than the 10-inch would have been if I was going with the 60" set? Again -- we will be at a distance of 12 feet...should 1080p Blu-rays look impactful and nearly cinematic at this distance?

5.1:
Mains:

"THE LOFT" (2-CHANNEL):

Old 11-09-11, 11:29 PM   #37
Banned!

Since: Feb 2008

Quote:
lcaillo wrote: View Post
IME, yes, it will make a significant difference.
I couldn't agree more...ESPECIALLY going from a RPTV to a flat panel. Tho don't discount a 73 or larger Mits DLP. They turn up on Craigslist quite often for dirt cheap. Usually with some issues but DLP is oh so easy to repair and parts are modules. VERY easy. That is how I got my last 3 DLP sets for pennies on the dollar.

Old 11-09-11, 11:52 PM   #38
Elite Shackster

I started this thread.

Quote:
Superior Audio wrote: View Post
I couldn't agree more...ESPECIALLY going from a RPTV to a flat panel. Tho don't discount a 73 or larger Mits DLP. They turn up on Craigslist quite often for dirt cheap. Usually with some issues but DLP is oh so easy to repair and parts are modules. VERY easy. That is how I got my last 3 DLP sets for pennies on the dollar.
Thanks, 'Superior.

But what about the jump from 50" to 70"? Do you still think it would be significant in impact difference?

Also -- can you give me some more insight as to why you feel the move from rear projection to either LCD or plasma is going to be that much more of an improvement? In what ways?

I would consider -- and did -- one of the massive Mitsubishi monster DLP screens, but we simply have no room for something that large, and I have read about a plethora of horror stories from those who have owned these TVs or knew people that did; almost everyone I correspond with tells me to stay far away from these DLPs...

5.1:
Mains:

"THE LOFT" (2-CHANNEL):

Old 11-09-11, 11:54 PM   #39
Elite Shackster

I started this thread.

Also Guys,

If we were to put our SXRD up for sale, what do y'all think we could get for it via Craigslist or another site? The TV is basically still brand new, with all stickers still on the speaker/bezel and I have all the manuals...the unit is kept in top notch shape, being cleaned and dusted regularly, and it wasn't too long ago that we changed the lamp in it (the first replacement since owning it).

What would one of these go for used? It is, of course, a 1080p panel...

5.1:
Mains:

"THE LOFT" (2-CHANNEL):

Old 11-10-11, 07:57 AM   #40
Banned!

Since: Feb 2008

Not sure about horror stories beyond the lamp needing occasional replacement which you are already well aware of with your Sony which is, essentially, a DLP. But Mits dropped ALL other tech besides the DLP so what does that tell you? I'll take DLP over other tech any day of the week as it is closest to CRT without all the maintenance required such as convergence, but still maintains the smoothness and film-like qualities that EVERY TV maker strives for.

Reply     Post New Thread     Back to Top of Page

Parts Express: Excellent Source for DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Projects!   Onkyo   GIK Acoustics: Home audio acoustics at its best... especially when you have help from the owners right here at the Shack!  Check out their very affordable acoustic panels!   Nyrius   Aperion Audio   Newegg: The perfect solution for all your HTPC and media server build needs!

Check out the Woot product for today!   Musicians Friend: Your one stop shop for microphones, mic amps and Behringer products.   Cmple   Monoprice Electronics   Amazon   Velodyne

« Home Theater Shack > Home Theater - Audio / Video > HDTV | Video Displays | Processors »

« Previous Thread   Next Thread »