Home Theater Shack Forums
Emotiva is your Home Theater Component Source for Audiophile Quality Home Theater Equipment at Factory Direct Prices Newegg: The perfect solution for all your HTPC and media server build needs! Creative Sound Solutions: Loudspeaker kits and components for subwoofers, midwoofers, woofers and full range speakers! XTZ Sound Marantz OPPO Digital - Universal Network 3D Blu-ray Players - Buy Direct from the Manufacturer Chane Music & Cinema Madisound Parts Express: Excellent Source for DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Projects! Musicians Friend: Your one stop shop for microphones, mic amps and Behringer products. Value Electronics: A trusted retailer and custom installer that specializes in whole-house audio, home theater, Plasma, LCD, LED, HDTVs, Blu-ray and more. Genelec: Active Speakers and Speaker Systems Audio General, Inc.: Great deals on projectors, screens and electronics. Underwood HiFi - Excellent discounts on some awesome name brands. Power Sound Audio designs, develops, and assembles high quality loudspeakers and subwoofers for home theater environments. Visual Apex: The most competitive pricing for home theater projectors... and built on customer satisfaction! SVSound

Like Us on facebookREW
Go Back   Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com > Home Theater - Audio / Video > HDTV | Video Displays | Processors
Forgot Password?
Donations Reviews Vendors

Reply     Post New Thread
Views: 6103 - Replies: 104  
Old 11-10-11, 02:20 PM   #41
Elite Shackster

Since: Apr 2010
I started this thread.
Re: Will 10 Inches Make a Difference?

Quote:
Superior Audio wrote: View Post
Not sure about horror stories beyond the lamp needing occasional replacement which you are already well aware of with your Sony which is, essentially, a DLP.
Well, yes, of course the rear pros need the lamp replacement as a routine every few years, but that's not what these folks were describing as "horror stories" with regard to the Mitsubishis; they were more or less saying they don't last long and have rainbow/light output issues and other problems...and, of course, that the image isn't as "sharp" or "in your face" as a flat panel. That could all be opinion, though.

As for my Sony SXRD, yes, I am aware it needs a lamp replacement every so often; and while not marketed as a tried-and-true "DLP" set, the SXRD technology is indeed part of the microdisplay subcategory in the newer rear projection displays, using the "SXRAD" chip design, or what Sony likes to call "their version of LCoS."

Quote:
But Mits dropped ALL other tech besides the DLP so what does that tell you? I'll take DLP over other tech any day of the week as it is closest to CRT without all the maintenance required such as convergence, but still maintains the smoothness and film-like qualities that EVERY TV maker strives for.
Well, from what I understand and have gathered from attending press conferences at CES and CEDIA, Mitsubishi got out of the flat panel (LCD/plasma) category not because these technologies "don't work" or they didn't believe in them; it was merely because they want to be regarded as the ultimate BIG, big screen company, offering buyers a real alternative to front projection if they want to stick with a TV screen, with the choices of massive screen sizes up to 92 inches. Many marketing heads at the company openly admitted in press conferences and events that Mitsubishi simply could not keep up with the amount of flat panel TVs companies like Samsung and Sony were selling, so they decided to go a different route and offer massive rear projection sets as the go-to brand for huge television displays.

5.1:
ONKYO TX-SR605B - oppo BDP-83 - SONY KDS-50A2020 SXRD
Mains:
polkaudio RTi12 - Center: polkaudio CSi30 - Surrounds: SpeakerCraft Preinstalled In-Ceiling - Sub: polkaudio PSW350 - Auralex SubDude - MONSTER PowerCenter HT700

"THE LOFT" (2-CHANNEL):

ONKYO TX-8555 - marantz CC4001 - TASCAM CD-RW900SL PROFESSIONAL - Numark CD MIX-1 PROFESSIONAL - Infinity by HARMAN PRIMUS P363BK
- Bell'O AT-423T Audio Tower

Forum Rules Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-11, 02:22 PM   #42
Elite Shackster

I started this thread.

So, can anyone tell me if we will see a more dramatic difference going from our 50" rear pro to a 70" LCD or plasma (if there is a 70" plasma commercially available)?

5.1:
Mains:
polkaudio RTi12 - Center: polkaudio CSi30 - Surrounds: SpeakerCraft Preinstalled In-Ceiling - Sub: polkaudio PSW350 - Auralex SubDude - MONSTER PowerCenter HT700

"THE LOFT" (2-CHANNEL):

ONKYO TX-8555 - marantz CC4001 - TASCAM CD-RW900SL PROFESSIONAL - Numark CD MIX-1 PROFESSIONAL - Infinity by HARMAN PRIMUS P363BK

Old 11-10-11, 03:52 PM   #43
Senior Shackster

Since: Aug 2010
Red Deer, Alberta, Canada

My rough math shows about 1000 sq in for a 50", and 2000 sq in for a 70". Pretty much double the size seems significant.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
People think I'm strange, does it make me a stranger?

Old 11-10-11, 03:56 PM   #44
Elite Shackster

I started this thread.

Quote:
phreak wrote: View Post
My rough math shows about 1000 sq in for a 50", and 2000 sq in for a 70". Pretty much double the size seems significant.
So, you're saying the 70 should seem impactful at our 12 foot seating distance?

5.1:
Mains:

"THE LOFT" (2-CHANNEL):

Old 11-10-11, 04:11 PM   #45
Senior Shackster

Kalani
Since: Dec 2008
Studio City, CA, USA
My System

Quote:
Osage_Winter wrote: View Post
So, you're saying the 70 should seem impactful at our 12 foot seating distance?
"Impactful" is a matter of personal opinion, as we've been saying all along. 70" will definitely be a massive improvement (in immersiveness) over your current 50" set.

70" is a good size, IMO, for a 12' viewing distance. More would be better (as is almost always the case), but you're in the 1080p sweet spot there.

http://s3.carltonbale.com/resolution_chart.html

Old 11-10-11, 04:41 PM   #46
Elite Shackster

I started this thread.

Quote:
KalaniP wrote: View Post
"Impactful" is a matter of personal opinion, as we've been saying all along. 70" will definitely be a massive improvement (in immersiveness) over your current 50" set.
I understand the opinion factor; I just wanted to know what you pretty much answered in the second sentence of this above statement...

Quote:
70" is a good size, IMO, for a 12' viewing distance. More would be better (as is almost always the case), but you're in the 1080p sweet spot there.

http://s3.carltonbale.com/resolution_chart.html
Thanks; but you feel it's a good size, not an ideal one, huh?

5.1:
Mains:

"THE LOFT" (2-CHANNEL):

Old 11-10-11, 05:27 PM   #47
Senior Shackster

Kalani
Studio City, CA, USA
My System

Quote:
Osage_Winter wrote: View Post
I understand the opinion factor; I just wanted to know what you pretty much answered in the second sentence of this above statement...

Thanks; but you feel it's a good size, not an ideal one, huh?
Let's put it like this:

I sit ~8' away from a 65" set, and there are times I wish it was bigger.

But I'm MUCH happier than I was when I was sitting 12' away from it.

Old 11-10-11, 07:40 PM   #48
Elite Shackster

I started this thread.

Quote:
KalaniP wrote: View Post
Let's put it like this:

I sit ~8' away from a 65" set, and there are times I wish it was bigger.

But I'm MUCH happier than I was when I was sitting 12' away from it.
Uh oh...

Now that's not really promising...

5.1:
Mains:

"THE LOFT" (2-CHANNEL):

Old 11-10-11, 08:35 PM   #49
Banned!

Since: Feb 2008

This is honestly being over thought to the max. One mans trash is anothers treasure. You've been given the information you requested but seems you don't want to see the forest for the trees. No one can or will tell you what you will like or think, no matter how many times you persist in asking.

Old 11-10-11, 09:41 PM   #50
Senior Shackster

Kalani
Studio City, CA, USA
My System

Quote:
Osage_Winter wrote:
Uh oh...

Now that's not really promising...
SA is right. You're over thinking this.

70" is a MAJOR upgrade from a 50", period. If you're looking for a more immersive experience, and can afford it, go for it.

The fact that I lust for an upgrade from a 65" set is indicative of my personal never-ending quest for biggerbetterfastermore. Not that watching movies on a 65" set from 8' away is somehow inherently inadequate. I'd be thrilled to upgrade to a 70" set if I could afford it... Even though coming from 65" it is much less of an upgrade than it will be for you, coming from a 50" set.

Reply     Post New Thread     Back to Top of Page

Parts Express: Excellent Source for DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Projects!   Onkyo   GIK Acoustics: Home audio acoustics at its best... especially when you have help from the owners right here at the Shack!  Check out their very affordable acoustic panels!   Nyrius   Aperion Audio   Newegg: The perfect solution for all your HTPC and media server build needs!

Check out the Woot product for today!   Musicians Friend: Your one stop shop for microphones, mic amps and Behringer products.   Become a Sponsor   Monoprice Electronics   Amazon   Velodyne

« Home Theater Shack > Home Theater - Audio / Video > HDTV | Video Displays | Processors »

« Previous Thread   Next Thread »