Will the screen size of 10 inches make a difference? - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com
Home Theater Shack Forums
Marantz OPPO Digital - Universal Network 3D Blu-ray Players - Buy Direct from the Manufacturer Chane Music & Cinema Madisound Parts Express: Excellent Source for DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Projects! Musicians Friend: Your one stop shop for microphones, mic amps and Behringer products. Value Electronics: A trusted retailer and custom installer that specializes in whole-house audio, home theater, Plasma, LCD, LED, HDTVs, Blu-ray and more. Genelec: Active Speakers and Speaker Systems Audio General, Inc.: Great deals on projectors, screens and electronics. Underwood HiFi - Excellent discounts on some awesome name brands. Power Sound Audio designs, develops, and assembles high quality loudspeakers and subwoofers for home theater environments. Visual Apex: The most competitive pricing for home theater projectors... and built on customer satisfaction! SVSound Emotiva is your Home Theater Component Source for Audiophile Quality Home Theater Equipment at Factory Direct Prices Newegg: The perfect solution for all your HTPC and media server build needs! Creative Sound Solutions: Loudspeaker kits and components for subwoofers, midwoofers, woofers and full range speakers! XTZ Sound

Like Us on facebookREW
Go Back   Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com > Home Theater - Audio / Video > HDTV | Video Displays | Processors
Forgot Password?
Donations Reviews Vendors

Reply     Post New Thread
Views: 6667 - Replies: 104  
Old 10-02-11, 12:40 AM   #1
Banned!

Since: Apr 2010
I started this thread.
Will the screen size of 10 inches make a difference?

We're thinking now that the space in our HT room designated for the display can maybe squeeze a 60" HDTV depending on whether or not the sides can come out a bit and clear the cabinet doors to the left and right (the right side cabinet holds our AVR and BD player).

Unfortunately, our seating distance absolutely cannot change -- it must remain at 12 feet or so from the display to the main viewing area (basically my spot). The wife has been liking the looks of the Panasonic plasmas at 60 inches, while I think I'd prefer an LCD set (actually, what I would prefer, between you and I and the man on the moon, is any one of the 72, 75, 80 or 92-inch DLP Mitsubishis that are out now...but that's saved for a fantasy when I make more money or win some kind of lottery) if only because of the 120/240Hz refresh features that turn film into a video look (don't ask -- I know I am in the minority on this one...).

No matter what technology we end up going with, will we see a drastic viewing difference moving from our 50" Sony SXRD RPTV to a 60" screen? Keep in mind our viewing distance absolutely cannot be changed; will we see at least some dramatic differences going up 10 inches in size?

Forum Rules Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-11, 06:04 AM   #2
HTS Administrator

Tech Guru
Since: May 2006
Gainesville, FL, USA

IME, yes, it will make a significant difference.

"I attribute the little I know to my not having been ashamed to ask for information, and to my rule of conversing with all descriptions of men on those topics that form their own peculiar professions and pursuits." John Locke

Leonard Caillouet MS, CET, MST, ISF

Need Electronic Repairs? Look to these guys first. The Pro Squad are some of the most experienced and reputable servicers anywhere.
http://www.theprosquad.com/index2.aspx

Old 10-02-11, 10:15 AM   #3
Generic
Inactive

Re: Will 10 Inches Make a Difference?

A larger screen will always enhance the viewing experience. Go as big as you can, you won't regret it.

Old 10-02-11, 11:33 PM   #4
Banned!

I started this thread.

Quote:
lcaillo wrote: View Post
IME, yes, it will make a significant difference.
Thank you very much, Leonard, for your opinion and input.

Do you believe things will begin to look a bit more "theatrical" in presentation -- that is, a bit more immersive -- with the 60 when viewing film on DVD/BD? I realize we're still not anywhere near correct, ideal seating distance from these sizes, but...

Also keep in mind that we do watch film in darkened conditions, with just a very dim night light built into our fancy torch light that sits to the left of the left main channel...

Old 10-02-11, 11:38 PM   #5
Banned!

I started this thread.

Quote:
A larger screen will always enhance the viewing experience. Go as big as you can, you won't regret it.
Thank you.

Of course I would never regret or second guess a larger screen in any circumstance; I just kind of wanted to know if there should be a significant presentation difference, visually, jumping from the 50 to a 60 inch...if we'd notice it at our seating distance of 12 feet.

Old 10-03-11, 12:42 AM   #6
Banned!

Since: Sep 2006

A 60" screen at 12' will fill the same field of vision as your 50" screen at 10'. Move your chair up 2 feet, temporarily, and see what you think.

Old 10-03-11, 01:55 AM   #7
Banned!

I started this thread.

Quote:
eugovector wrote: View Post
A 60" screen at 12' will fill the same field of vision as your 50" screen at 10'. Move your chair up 2 feet, temporarily, and see what you think.
Interesting analysis, 'vector, thanks.

I will do that experiment when I can.

But do you feel, just speaking plainly without the benefit of results from this test, the way others do here based on their replies that the 60 inch screen should make a discernable visual difference if you had to guess?

Old 10-03-11, 03:21 AM   #8
HTS Administrator

Tech Guru
Since: May 2006
Gainesville, FL, USA

Quote:
Osage_Winter wrote: View Post
Thank you very much, Leonard, for your opinion and input.

Do you believe things will begin to look a bit more "theatrical" in presentation -- that is, a bit more immersive -- with the 60 when viewing film on DVD/BD? I realize we're still not anywhere near correct, ideal seating distance from these sizes, but...

Also keep in mind that we do watch film in darkened conditions, with just a very dim night light built into our fancy torch light that sits to the left of the left main channel...
Yes. IME, at the distances you are describing, the change will be significant. This is, however, a personal opinion, and what is meaningful to you may vary greatly.

You will want to calibrate the set properly and you may want to consider backlighing if the room is very dark.

"I attribute the little I know to my not having been ashamed to ask for information, and to my rule of conversing with all descriptions of men on those topics that form their own peculiar professions and pursuits." John Locke

Leonard Caillouet MS, CET, MST, ISF

Need Electronic Repairs? Look to these guys first. The Pro Squad are some of the most experienced and reputable servicers anywhere.
http://www.theprosquad.com/index2.aspx

Old 10-03-11, 03:34 AM   #9
Banned!

I started this thread.

Quote:
lcaillo wrote: View Post
Yes. IME, at the distances you are describing, the change will be significant. This is, however, a personal opinion, and what is meaningful to you may vary greatly.
I understand. However, if a calibrator and videophile such as yourself says it will yield a significant change, I would take his or her word for it.

Quote:
You will want to calibrate the set properly and you may want to consider backlighing if the room is very dark.
Of course I would calibrate; I would run the set through the proper setup discs I use, including the Spears & Munsil Blu-ray. As for backlighting, well, as I explained in a different post, we keep the room very dark for cinema viewing, but do keep a very dim "night light" on which is built into the torch lamp that's off to the side of the left front channel speaker. This casts a very subtle glow which makes the room a step above "pitch black," but it certainly is still dark in there.

When you say "backlighting," are you referring to mere ambient light like I'm describing, or actual backlighting behind the screen, which is supposed to help with eye fatigue, etc?

Old 10-03-11, 10:31 AM   #10
Banned!

Since: Sep 2006

Quote:
Osage_Winter wrote: View Post
Interesting analysis, 'vector, thanks.

I will do that experiment when I can.

But do you feel, just speaking plainly without the benefit of results from this test, the way others do here based on their replies that the 60 inch screen should make a discernable visual difference if you had to guess?
You will be able to discern the difference, but as to whether or not it will be significant to you is entirely subjective. If you move to 10 feet, this is exactly what a 60" screen will look like from 12" (in the same way that magazine held directly in front of your fact will fill more of your field of vision than your current 50" screen.

I currently have a 50" screen and sit 12 feet away typically. My next jump will be a 92" screen because, for me, 60" would be discernible, but not significant enough. If 60" is the biggest you can go, and you can't change your seating location, then there's not a lot else you can do beyond that.

Reply     Post New Thread     Back to Top of Page

Check out the Woot product for today!   Musicians Friend: Your one stop shop for microphones, mic amps and Behringer products.   Cmple   Monoprice Electronics   Amazon   Velodyne

Parts Express: Excellent Source for DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Projects!   Onkyo   GIK Acoustics: Home audio acoustics at its best... especially when you have help from the owners right here at the Shack!  Check out their very affordable acoustic panels!   Nyrius   Aperion Audio   Axiom Audio

« Home Theater Shack > Home Theater - Audio / Video > HDTV | Video Displays | Processors »

« Previous Thread   Next Thread »