Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

First Review: 2012 Panasonic VIERA TC-P50ST50 Plasma HDTV - Discussion Thread

99K views 142 replies 39 participants last post by  Robert Zohn 
#1 ·
[img]http://www.hometheatershack.com/images/Panasonic_ST50.jpg[/img]

2012 Panasonic VIERA TC-P50ST50 Review - Discussion Thread

For the full review: Click Here!

Summary: I've been viewing our ST50 for the past few days I have not noticed any green blobs or fluctuating brightness. I've enjoyed watching this TV with quite a bit of varied content, DIRECTV, BD, and lots of streaming. Today I invited my very good friend Ed Johnson to do the calibration and take all of the measurements.

Download File: View attachment ST50_Calibration_Day_Mode_40fL.pdf

Regardless of the reliability of this review I'm anxious to do our Shoot-out so we can compare all of the panels next to each-other and determine who truly makes the best display. Mid April we're doing a mini pdp 2012 Shoot-out event with Samsung's E8000 series, Panasonic's GT50 and LG's PM9700. Let the games begin!

Hope you enjoyed my review. Any questions or comments?

-Robert

Attachments

See less See more
#64 ·
Any evidence of motion artifacts and FB that was so common in the st30?
thanks so much for everyone that has posted and answered questions on this post on the panny 55st50. i purchased mine today and will have it tuesday next week. the decision to purchase the set was made on the reviews of this forum. i will post my thoughts on my new panny once i have it set up. i do have a set of questions concerning the tv. with this set i will also be purchasing a new blue ray 3d dvd player. my question is...is it really necessary to do so? i live in st albert alberta just outside of edmonton and lately all the local big name video stores are being closed. blockbuster is gone. rogers video gone etc etc. with the new smart tvs with online content for renting movies are dvds actually going to the wayside? i am not a big fan of purchasing movies. also i have a surround audio system in the basemet with my 5 year old sharp lcd and dont want the hassle and expense of a new surround system for my new panny. what is a reasonable choice for a soundbar as they are called now. i realize they cannot produce 5.1, 6.1 or 7.1 as the the dvds are intended. what is a good choice for this purpose. hate to have the great video and not follow it up with sufficient audio. cant wait for the nhl playoffs on the 55st50. :D

#3 ·
In my experience of viewing our 50" ST50 none of the previous generations inherent anomalies exist in the 2012 pdp. Very nicely redesigned and re-engineered display.

It calibrated beautifully in the Custom mode, and even in the factory set Cinema model I must say after a few minor adjustments without even a meter attached to the display the Cinema mode was well in-line with most pq specs. And not only the pre-calibration charts, the actual image quality was excellent.

The ST50 delivers a very big dynamic range with depth and definition.

-Robert

#7 ·
natsume, welcome to HTS! The photos were taken with my iPhone 4S, I'll work on getting some hi-resolution photos, but nothing substitutes seeing the TV in person.

No green blobs and no fluctuating brightness on the 11 (6 50" and 5 55") ST50s we have set-up for break-in and calibration.

-Robert

#8 ·
So I hate to be alarmist, but at least one guy tried to watch hockey and basketball and found the ST50's reactions to the strobes to be intolerable. I don't want to call this "fluctuating brightness" but apparently it was a bad interaction of something.

Try to watch part of a game and let us know what happens.

#10 ·
I will do that, but I am 99.99% sure these 2012 VIERA displays do not suffer from fluctuating brightness. What I believe he is seeing is the ABL circuit kicking in and or that these new displays are much brighter than previous years so when the scene goes to a bright content it gets very bright, almost LCD bright.

I'll double check with content on my shoot-out wall to compare the ST50 along side the best LCD/LEDs and pdps and then report back.

-Robert

How about the color decoding issues from the previous generation? Is that still an issue? How about false contouring\banding in faces in darker scenes?
You can see from the calibration reports all colors are on target to rec. 709. The color decoding works fine and the color accuracy and color saturation are very good.

-Robert

#13 ·
VT50's are due by the end of May. And our full fledged Shoot-out event is scheduled for August.

I'm planning a GT50, LG 60PM9700 and Samsung PN60E8000 mini-Shoot-out evaluation at the very end of this month.

-Robert

#15 ·
Mike, I love the VT30, but waiting a few weeks is very wise.

Every year video technology leap frogs, this year's advancements are like bull frogs on steroids. I'm anxious to see how Samsung and LG does this year.

-Robert

#18 ·
Mike, I love the VT30, but waiting a few weeks is very wise.

Every year video technology leap frogs, this year's advancements are like bull frogs on steroids. I'm anxious to see how Samsung and LG does this year.

-Robert
Brings back memories of the Kuro days. :sn:
I think I may have to upgrade my living room display this year.

#16 ·
Thanks Robert, after reading the initial impressions of the new Panasonic plasma TV's from CES I had a feeling that they would be worth waiting for. Even just from an asthetics point of view the GT and VT series are a huge improvement.

Will the ST50 be available in 42" size? (thinking possible bedroom TV)

#17 ·
Sorry to say no 42" St50 this year, the ST50 comes in 50", 55", 60" and 65".

One model down in the VIERA Smart 3D TV line up, the TC-P42UT50 is the best 42" pdp and cost $799. The UT50 series lacks the louver filter and has less steps of gradation than the ST50 series.

-Robert

#19 ·
Hi John, Kuro's we're giant monster bull frogs on steroids!

-Robert

#20 ·
Robert, the cal report on the ST50 was pretty impressive and I'm anxious to see how well the VT50 does. It should be a winner.

#21 ·
Thanks I agree. Looks like Panasonic stepped up the game this year.

I'm scheduled to received LG's 2012 60PM9700 this week and after we do the break-in I'll publish another evaluation report and do a mini-shoot-out. Then by the end of March we'll have Samsug's PN60E8000 to through into the mix.

-Robert

#24 ·
Very good information Robert, thank you. This is one of two 2012 displays I am considering.

You indicated:
Finally, although priced well, Samsung and LG still offers more features at even a lower price tag.
It would seem that the Samsung model that most closely compares to this Panasonic is their E550 series. I'd be very interested in hearing your thoughts about how these two models compare, dollar for dollar.

Thanks,

Rhys

#26 ·
John, I was told the internal vp is the same for the ST50, GT50 and VT50.

BTW, we just received Panasonic's new 4th generation Bluetooth RF 3D glasses. They are lighter and better build quality than the third gen IR glasses and they feel and work great. They have a 2D - 3d switch so for those folks that don't want to watch in 3D they can simply switch the glasses to the 2D mode.

We had a big surprise when we were all testing the new Bluetooth glasses; they work perfectly with the Elite TV!!! Not sure how this is possible as the Elite TV employees IR 3D transmission, but they work perfectly. Which brings me to another discovery, 3D performance, detail, brightness and black level is much better on the Elite TV.

Now we tried the new glasses on LG's 60PM9700 and they work perfectly!!!

I assume Panasonic's 4th gen Bluetooth glasses emit IR and RF and the new alliance to standardize 3D glasses is beginning to hit the mainstream.

I'll test these new glasses with other TVs and report back.

Great new glasses!

-Robert

#29 ·
Robert are you saying that the 3D performance of the Elite TV is better than the ST50 (which considering the price difference I would hope that it was) or are you saying that the Panasonic 3D glasses when used with the Elite are better than the glasses that come with the Elite?

#27 ·
Robert Zohn said:
John, I was told the internal vp is the same for the ST50, GT50 and VT50.

BTW, we just received Panasonic's new 4th generation Bluetooth RF 3D glasses. They are lighter and better build quality than the third gen IR glasses and they feel and work great. They have a 2D - 3d switch so for those folks that don't want to watch in 3D they can simply switch the glasses to the 2D mode.

We had a big surprise when we were all testing the new Bluetooth glasses; they work perfectly with the Elite TV!!! Not sure how this is possible as the Elite TV employees IR 3D transmission, but they work perfectly. Which brings me to another discovery, 3D performance, detail, brightness and black level is much better on the Elite TV.

Now we tried the new glasses on LG's 60PM9700 and they work perfectly!!!

I assume Panasonic's 4th gen Bluetooth glasses emit IR and RF and the new alliance to standardize 3D glasses is beginning to hit the mainstream.

I'll test these new glasses with other TVs and report back.

Great new glasses!

-Robert
Any idea yet on pricing of the new glasses? Curious if the Samsung Bluetooth glasses will sync with the new Panasonic's. I am so close to pulling the trigger on a 55st50 but I am waiting to hear what the glasses cost. I need 5 sets so it could add a lot to the cost of the set. If the 30 dollar Samsung glasses will work or Panasonic has some affordable glasses then it's a done deal.

#28 ·
jaymerkramer, retail is $79, but deals can be had; especially when paired with a TV purchase. I like Panasonic's forth generation 3D glasses. They are light weight, (27 grams) very comfortable and perform perfectly.

I'll be testing these new glasses with other TVs, Samsung and LG to see if they work.

-Robert

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.