Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

First Review: 2012 Panasonic VIERA TC-P50ST50 Plasma HDTV - Discussion Thread

99K views 142 replies 39 participants last post by  Robert Zohn 
#1 ·
[img]http://www.hometheatershack.com/images/Panasonic_ST50.jpg[/img]

2012 Panasonic VIERA TC-P50ST50 Review - Discussion Thread

For the full review: Click Here!

Summary: I've been viewing our ST50 for the past few days I have not noticed any green blobs or fluctuating brightness. I've enjoyed watching this TV with quite a bit of varied content, DIRECTV, BD, and lots of streaming. Today I invited my very good friend Ed Johnson to do the calibration and take all of the measurements.

Download File: View attachment ST50_Calibration_Day_Mode_40fL.pdf

Regardless of the reliability of this review I'm anxious to do our Shoot-out so we can compare all of the panels next to each-other and determine who truly makes the best display. Mid April we're doing a mini pdp 2012 Shoot-out event with Samsung's E8000 series, Panasonic's GT50 and LG's PM9700. Let the games begin!

Hope you enjoyed my review. Any questions or comments?

-Robert

Attachments

See less See more
#30 ·
Sorry I was not clear. When we tried Panasonic's new Bluetooth 4th generation 3D glasses on the ST50 we noticed the Elite TV was working perfectly with the Bluetooth glasses.

We have the ST50 on our shoot-out wall and the Elite TV is wall mounted next to the ST50 so it was by pure accident that when I moved my head slightly to the left I saw the Elite TV in 3D. Later I tried Panasonic's 2012 glasses on LG's 2012 60PM9700 and they also work perfectly on LG's pdp.

So it's the new Bluetooth glasses that are working on the Elite and LG TVs. However, now that you gave me the idea to test the Elite and Panasonic's new 2012 glasses with the Elite TV to see which ones perform best I'll do it and report back.

-Robert

#35 ·
You are correct, Sears is selling the 55" ST30, last year's model for $1k. Everyone is discouting 2011 models now.

If you look more carefully at the bezel you will notice that is a ut50 or st50.
The one in the video looks like the UT50, but it may be the ST50. If it's the 55" ST50 I assure it's not $1k.

-Robert

#36 ·
D-Nice posted a quick update on AVS Forum about his ST50 review today. Here's a cut and paste of his post, which is very much in line with our review.

"Most of the stuff will be on HDJ, but I'll share a few items here....

MLL: 0.0049fL

Max light output in Custom mode (Contrast of 100) before calibration with standard windowed patterns measured 60fL.

Gamma is 2.2 with a setting of 2.6 in Custom. Flat except for bump at 90% stimuli (nothing major).

Grayscale tracking is improved compared to last year.

Grayscale does shift when using the smaller (THX classed) windowed patterns (goes green).

Gamma between smaller and standard windows is relatively the same. Much imporved compared to last year's models.

Light output also increases with the smaller pattern like they did last year but the difference is significantly less.

Light output between smaller windowed patterns and standard patterns equates to Panasonic's 20% brighter claims (post cal standard windowed patterns reference light output measured 40fL while smaller windowed pattern measured 48.5fL) .

FBr fluctuations are still there on the lower end of the grayscale (25% stimuli and below). Similar to 2011 panels post FBr update.
Color decoding improved compared to last year.

More later this week or early next week on HDJ."

-Robert

#38 ·
I don't see any fluctuating brightness. It could be something that can be seen on test patterns and not on video content or just so minimal that it's just not visible to the eye.

-Robert

#40 ·
D-Nice said it was to the same extent as post Fbr fix in 2011 models. Most people who had the Fbr fix could not see it afterwards. That should mean that you won't see it in this years models. OF course now that it has been put out that it is there you know there will be those that will see it.

#42 ·
Yes, ^^ many brands and models did not exhibit floating or fluctuating blacks. But the older generation plasma displays did not perform at the level; I suspect when you improve efficiency and at the same time drive these panels harder other anomalies begin to appear.

-Robert

#44 ·
At this moment we're tentatively scheduled for Saturday, April 14th. This will be a pdp only Shoot-out event. The displays will be Samsung PN60E8000, LG's 60PM9700 and Panasonic's TC-P60GT50.

Barry can you make the trip to attend in person?

Cheers mate!

-Robert

#46 ·
Just wanted to let everyone know the articles and a/v forums that are saying 65" VT50s will be available the end of March are all incorrect. I'm a direct dealer and confirmed with Panasonic headquarters that the dates on my side, mid May are correct.

Some of the misunderstanding came from Panasonic's own press release that was not clearly written, but if you read it carefully you would interrupt it to be the very end of April for one of the VT50s. It's possible that we might be lucky to see a very limited quantity of 55" VT50s the week of April 30, if we're real lucky. 65" VT50 will follow two to three weeks later.

-Robert

#48 ·
Actually the dates Panasonic gave me at CES in early January are still accurate. Today a few articles and websites published incorrect information that is simply a misunderstanding from not carefully reading Panasonic's press release.

Nothing is being pushed back or changed. The new (incorrect) dates are simply wrong.

-Robert

#49 ·
I typically do not respond to posts like this. But to set the record straight here's my reply.

I have no concern whatsoever that I will receive the very first allocation of every new pdp and LCD/LED from LG, Panasonic, Samsung and Elite. We maintain very close direct relationships with the management of the top tier CE companies. For a independent single store we hold more factory direct relationships than any other retailer.

They love my company's culture and performance and our HDTV Shoot-out has given us the opportunity to earn their attention and respect.

-Robert

#50 ·
Robert i have contacted David Mackenzie regarding the mini shootout. He is in New York at the moment on business.
David is one of the leading reviewers and experts regarding HDTV tech (probably one of the best in the world, ask DNice:gulp:) so hopefully we can organize something.

David Mackenzie — Senior Editor & Reviewer @HDTVTest.

An ISF-certified calibrator, David is our resident HDTV expert with in-depth knowledge and experience in video encoding, processing, authoring, display calibration, and HD content production. His technical expertise has been sought by major consumer electronics brands such as LG, Panasonic, Oppo and Samsung for product feedback, and he has been featured in the Wall Street Journal for his views on DNR (digital noise reduction) errors in animated films.

#51 ·
Sounds great Barry!

-Robert

#56 ·
Thank you for the review Robert. Can you talk a little more about your impressions of the louver filter and how it has improved?

I must admit that I am disappointed about the lack of controls and since the gamma is really off, the "out of the box" experience cannot be as good as it is going to be on Samsungs and LGs, at least not for those of us who don't want to sacrifice shadow detail for deeper blacks. I put off buying last year in hopes of buying a 60" Panasonic this year and it seems that only the VT50 will have the features I'm looking for. After reading recent owner complaints about the VT30, I'd be very hesitant to slap down the cash for a VT50.

I'll be looking forward to the mini shoot-out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.