Hdtv thoughts?? - Page 3 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com
Home Theater Shack Forums
Marantz OPPO Digital - Universal Network 3D Blu-ray Players - Buy Direct from the Manufacturer Chane Music & Cinema Madisound Parts Express: Excellent Source for DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Projects! Musicians Friend: Your one stop shop for microphones, mic amps and Behringer products. Value Electronics: A trusted retailer and custom installer that specializes in whole-house audio, home theater, Plasma, LCD, LED, HDTVs, Blu-ray and more. Genelec: Active Speakers and Speaker Systems Audio General, Inc.: Great deals on projectors, screens and electronics. Underwood HiFi - Excellent discounts on some awesome name brands. Power Sound Audio designs, develops, and assembles high quality loudspeakers and subwoofers for home theater environments. Visual Apex: The most competitive pricing for home theater projectors... and built on customer satisfaction! SVSound Emotiva is your Home Theater Component Source for Audiophile Quality Home Theater Equipment at Factory Direct Prices Newegg: The perfect solution for all your HTPC and media server build needs! Creative Sound Solutions: Loudspeaker kits and components for subwoofers, midwoofers, woofers and full range speakers! XTZ Sound

Like Us on facebookREW
Go Back   Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com > Home Theater - Audio / Video > HDTV | Video Displays | Processors
Forgot Password?
Donations Reviews Vendors

Reply     Post New Thread
Views: 1770 - Replies: 28  
Old 07-01-12, 01:07 PM   #21
Elite Shackster
Platinum Supporter

Jack
Since: Jul 2009
Siesta Key, Florida
Re: Hdtv thoughts??

Quote:
Hometheatrguru12 wrote: View Post
Hello,
It would be a fine choice. Pretty impressive that it includes 4 Pairs of 3D Glasses as most in the past offer at best a single pair.
J

HT
Speakers: Martin Logan Vantage (Mains), Martin Logan Stage (Center), Martin Logan Vista (Surrounds), Martin Logan Montages (Surrounds) Martin Logan Descent i (Subwoofer) Martin Logan Depth (Subwoofer)
Amplification: Aragon 8008bb, Parasound HCA-3500, Parasound HCA-2205 AT, Parasound HCA-1000a
AVR/SSP: Denon AVR-4520CI
Electronics: OPPO BDP-93, OPPO BDP-83 Pioneer BDP-05FD, Pioneer BDP-51FD, OPPO DV-980H, Panasonic DMP-BDT220
Gaming Consoles: Sony PS3 60 gb, Xbox 360 S (250 gb)
Display: Panasonic TC-P60GT50, Sony KDL-55EX500, Sony KD-34XBR910

Forum Rules Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-12, 02:02 PM   #22
Shackster

Since: Apr 2012
Tampa, FL
I started this thread.

Thanks for yalls input!!! ill be watching for this one in pricing come november/ end of the year.

on the same note..... i currently have an insignia 39" 1080 60hz (awesome tv for price)..... while at best buy i was watching iron man 2 on what i believe was the 60" aquos.... it was smooth and the refresh was amazing!
will the panny i last inquired on have a similar feel as far as refresh and smooth movie feel? or does that come with a better player?

Old 07-01-12, 02:31 PM   #23
Senior Shackster

Bob
Since: Jan 2010
Idaho

Someone mentioned off-axis image degradation in LCD sets. The Panny 42 inch LED set I recently purchased (TCL42ET5) features their "IPS LED panel" and it does what it advertises - improves the off-axis image greatly. As I mentioned previously, I would prefer plasma over LCD/LED, but chose the LED for power consumption considerations, but no regrets to image quality yet. My only concern when I first turned it on was a somewhat dark picture, but I switched from Cinema to Standard mode, and the image brightened right up - pretty close or maybe even brighter than the CRT it replaced now.

The LED comes with a "Cinema smoother" feature which really does smooth out motion - so much so it was creepy ("soap opera" version of "The Mentalist"). I turned it to the low setting (not off), and I'm happy with that. I think it has four degrees of smoothing that can be selected via menu, the default being the highest setting (might make some people happy - just not me).

Last edited by RBTO; 07-01-12 at 02:38 PM..

Old 07-03-12, 12:07 PM   #24
Elite Shackster
Platinum Supporter

Jack
Since: Jul 2009
Siesta Key, Florida

Quote:
RBTO wrote: View Post
Someone mentioned off-axis image degradation in LCD sets. The Panny 42 inch LED set I recently purchased (TCL42ET5) features their "IPS LED panel" and it does what it advertises - improves the off-axis image greatly. As I mentioned previously, I would prefer plasma over LCD/LED, but chose the LED for power consumption considerations, but no regrets to image quality yet. My only concern when I first turned it on was a somewhat dark picture, but I switched from Cinema to Standard mode, and the image brightened right up - pretty close or maybe even brighter than the CRT it replaced now.

The LED comes with a "Cinema smoother" feature which really does smooth out motion - so much so it was creepy ("soap opera" version of "The Mentalist"). I turned it to the low setting (not off), and I'm happy with that. I think it has four degrees of smoothing that can be selected via menu, the default being the highest setting (might make some people happy - just not me).
Hello,
A corollary to most Panels being dispalyed at big box stores replete with Florescent Lights is that many folks are judging a Panel's performance by how bright the picture is. Manufacturers now have what many of us call a "torch mode" for Display Units.

Sadly, this mode could not possibly be any further from the Black Level, Color Temperature, etc that a ISF Calibrated or THX Calibrated Display honestly looks like. Moreover, these standards are in keeping with the way that both TV Broadcasts and Home Video are intended to be viewed. When the brightness and picture level are cranked up, it distorts dark scenes.

This is why the first thing I do. when I get a new TV is to use a Calibration Disc. Discs like Avia, Digital Video Essentials, Spears and Muncil all provide a myriad of Test Patterns for getting your display as close to Reference Level as possible. An ISF Calibrated Calibrator takes things to a much higher level by using very expensive and specialized equipment and going into the Service Menu (more often than not) to account for Greyscale and Color Decoder issues. Another great thing about ISF Calibrated Displays is that usually there are settings for Day and Night Mode.

All of this being said, many find a properly calibrated display to be somewhat dark owing to decades of using TV's that are so far off reference level. All the same, once acclimated to it, it drives me crazy to watch TV's in Torch Mode.
Cheers,
JJ

HT
Speakers: Martin Logan Vantage (Mains), Martin Logan Stage (Center), Martin Logan Vista (Surrounds), Martin Logan Montages (Surrounds) Martin Logan Descent i (Subwoofer) Martin Logan Depth (Subwoofer)
Amplification: Aragon 8008bb, Parasound HCA-3500, Parasound HCA-2205 AT, Parasound HCA-1000a
AVR/SSP: Denon AVR-4520CI
Electronics: OPPO BDP-93, OPPO BDP-83 Pioneer BDP-05FD, Pioneer BDP-51FD, OPPO DV-980H, Panasonic DMP-BDT220
Gaming Consoles: Sony PS3 60 gb, Xbox 360 S (250 gb)
Display: Panasonic TC-P60GT50, Sony KDL-55EX500, Sony KD-34XBR910

Old 07-04-12, 12:39 PM   #26
Shackster

Since: May 2012

Hey guys havent posted in a long while, but I have a friend who can get amazing deals on tv sets... just thought i would let peeps know... the economy is terrible but everyone still wants nice ...

Old 07-04-12, 12:49 PM   #27
Shackster

Since: Apr 2012
Tampa, FL
I started this thread.

Quote:
highendallday wrote:
Hey guys havent posted in a long while, but I have a friend who can get amazing deals on tv sets... just thought i would let peeps know... the economy is terrible but everyone still wants nice ...
Awesome! i agree on nice what kind of deals on panny 3dtv's?

Old 07-04-12, 04:55 PM   #28
HTS Administrator

Steve Mechelke -mech
Since: Feb 2007
Empire Township, MN
My System

Quote:
highendallday wrote: View Post
At Best Buy per chance?

Old 07-05-12, 11:09 PM   #29
Senior Shackster
Silver Supporter

Greg
Since: Nov 2010
Farmingdale, Maine
My System

JJ,

You have just describe the greatest truth consistantly overlooked by the American people and the population of the World as well.

As we are sold TV's that blast us with color and vibrant pictures at the expense of a TV optimized to give us the best picture in every situation. We will wait for that blast of color and learn to believe this is the best it gets when we finally get it. We will overlook the poor saturation and lack of black detail and picture detail in general as long as we get our fix of super vibrant pics.

But the truth is if we invest a little time we find more detail and a rich picture quality that is more satisfying in every lighting and picture condition if we simply learn the difference.

That is such a statement about people in general. We have learned to look for the sweet in everything we eat. Like we look for the end in every project we begin. It is so bad..., we finish sentences for people, we tell people how to do their job.

I could go on and obviously somebody needs to because if we take the sweet idea alone..., so many of us crave the sweeter diet the reason for 30% obesity (25lbs or more overweight) in Americans today.

So many of us have lost respect for each other as we give up more of our rights to the TSA, Homeland Security, the church and clergy. Voting rights were never won but we believe we are free because we are told we are. We are not as free as our grandfather was and he was not as free as our founding father was. Our children will not be as free as we are today.

We need to calibrate TV's, reevaluate beliefs, check our diets and spend a little time reducing our corn syrup intake and our pro pan gandal intake. We must not simply believe what we are told in every situation. That is not living and I know all of you do love life as I do.

I want to learn more about Audio reproduction in my home and video reproduction. I don't care about being flashy and saying all the cool things to the right people. I care about the truth and how do tell the difference between truth and lies. I have been lied to before..., it does not feel good when you find the truth and see the difference. I would always rather know the truth and know the difference so I can bring myself back to the truth.

We believe everything we tell ourselves..., don't we??

Reply     Post New Thread     Back to Top of Page

Check out the Woot product for today!   Musicians Friend: Your one stop shop for microphones, mic amps and Behringer products.   Cmple   Monoprice Electronics   Amazon   Velodyne

Parts Express: Excellent Source for DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Projects!   Onkyo   GIK Acoustics: Home audio acoustics at its best... especially when you have help from the owners right here at the Shack!  Check out their very affordable acoustic panels!   Nyrius   Aperion Audio   Axiom Audio

« Home Theater Shack > Home Theater - Audio / Video > HDTV | Video Displays | Processors »

« Previous Thread   Next Thread »