Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Value Electronics' 9th annual Shootout event

36K views 164 replies 31 participants last post by  B- one 
#1 ·
Our 2013 Flat Panel HDTV Shootout evaluation event will be held in our new store at 35 Popham Rd, Scarsdale, NY as follows:

Day one, 6:00 PM EST, Friday, May 10th and Day two, 6:00 PM EST, Saturday, May 11th 2013.

We'll have up to 70 individuals attending and participating so if you are interested please send me an email with the subject "can I have a seat at VE's 2013 Shootout." The event will also be webcast live in HD and moderated by our staff. Select questions and comments will be passed to our panel of experts for reply.

Our Shootout has proven to be a ‘must attend’ event among true HD enthusiasts and industry leaders, and this year the Shootout has continued to gain in popularity so you can expect to see many of the top industry VIPs participating. With the great advancements of LED and PDP technologies, this will be a great year for flat panel displays.

Many big announcements and surprises are planned so if you are not attending in person be sure to mark your calendar so you can participate online with our HD webcast.

Enjoy!

-Robert

See less See more
#3 ·
Robert,
I cannot wait to read the findings of this year's Shootout. You really are doing a fantastic service for all HT enthusiasts. I highly recommend having a 2013 HDTV Southwest Florida Shootout.
Best,
J

#5 ·
mech, nothing would make me happier than to have you moderate our live HD video chat room, but you'll have to be at the Shootout to do so.

Can you attend?

-Robert

#6 ·
No. I did this silly thing called head coaching hockey this year and it burned up too much leave. And I work on Saturdays. :sad: One of these years I should be able to get to it Robert. But I don't see it happening in the near future.

#9 ·
We're opening registration to forum members to attend and participate in our 9th annual Flat Panel Shootout Evaluation. The Shootout will be held at our new Scarsdale, NY store at 6pm, Friday, May 10th and 6pm, Saturday, May 11th.

Participants who are selected can attend either day, but not both days as seats are limited.

Send me an email if you are interested in attending.

Enjoy!

-Robert

#10 ·
I would have LOVED to go but Robert, as you know, I will be getting off a cruise ship in Los Angeles on the day of the Shootout.

Very discouraging. Personally, don't tell my wife, I would rather be in Scarsdale, New York at 6pm on the 10th of May.

I will anxiously be waiting to see all the numbers.

#11 ·
Hello,
It might be time to go North to the big city. I recently purchased a Lexus LX470 that gets 13 to the gallon so I think driving is out of the equation, but there are tons of flights from both Sarasota, Fort Myers, and Tampa nonstop to LaGuardia.
Best,
Jack

#12 ·
Jack, ^^ that would be great! We'll gladly arrange to have you picked up and bring you back to the airport.

Congrat's on the beautiful new Lexus!

Hope to meet you are the Shootout and have you help us choose the new "King of HDTV"

-Robert

#13 ·
Below text generated on Panasonic's 60" ST60 w/optional Viera Electronic Touch Pen TY-TP10U

Want to have some real serious fun and learn about every major 2013 Flat Panel HDTV? Sign up today to participate in the world's only Flat Panel Shootout evaluation event.

Enjoy

-Robert

#14 ·
Now that's cool. The Electronic Touch Pen on the new Panasonics seem like a neat feature - you can do your own telestrating during hockey or other sports. We all know better than the announcers, right? At least we can have fun with it.

Looking forward to the flat panel shootout this year. The VT 50 was spectacular last year, while I think Samsung took a little step back compared to the year before. It will be interesting to see how the new Panny VT60 and Samsung F8500 compare to the VT50. Reports out of CES were stellar. The shootout this year is also important I think to get an idea of the state of the art and the future for LCD development, particularly since Sharp doesn't seem to be going forward with the Elite line (no new model in 2 years?).

Robert and his family are incredibly wonderful hosts for this event, and in addition to being such an important event (because no one else does anything like it), it is so much fun to be able to talk about the technology and current state of the display world with other enthusiasts and some of the top professionals in the business as well.

#15 ·
Hi NYPete, thanks for the very nice post and your kind words. A/V has been a lifetime passion and I enjoy sharing the knowledge with interested folks.

I love the Shootout and each year it's fun for me to assemble the very best flat panels and butt them up agents each-other so we can carefully and accurately evaluate them.

I have some very special plans to make this the best Shootout event we have ever accomplished. Have you signed-up to attend this year?

-Robert

#18 ·
Thanks Pete! I enjoyed your email and you are in.

-Robert

Robert,

Is the ZT60 going to be in the shootout?
I can't announce the displays that are in the Shootout at this time, but I can tell you we are working closely with Panasonic in regard to the ZT60 participating at the evaluation event.

-Robert

#20 ·
Yes, ^^ so don't leave any static image on the screen for long periods of time. Especially a new PDP and one that is as bright as the yellow lettering I used.

-Robert

#22 ·
I always look forward to these Shootouts and watching them on the web. I hope the Panasonic ST60 will be in the lineup because I am leaning towards this set as my next hdtv. I look forward to the other Panasonic plasmas you do end up having there.

Thank you Robert for having this annual event.

#23 ·
Since I've had a lot of folks asking if the ZT60 will be included in our 2013 Flat Panel Shootout, I will confirm that it will be included.

I can't announce all of the models that will be in the Shootout, but the 65" ZT60 will be a contestant.

I'll also have the VT60 in the Shootout, and it will be butt up to the ZT60 and Samsung F8500.

Let the games begin....

-Robert

#24 ·
That really is a heavyweight lineup of plasmas!

All three have gotten great word of mouth and write-ups since CES. Last year's Panny VT50 was such a spectacular TV that it is hard to image these being better but early returns say that is the case. Shaping up to be an outstanding and fascinating shootout!

#25 ·
Robert,
That is wonderful news to read that the ZT60 will be among the participants. You are truly doing a fantastic service to all videophiles and HT enthusiasts with your Shootout.
All the best,
Jack

#26 ·
#27 ·
Okay HTS members I need your advice about an important decision pertaining to our Shootout evaluation event. Here's my dilemma...

I had planned on putting in Sony's HX950, but unfortunately Sony has discontinued that model. So our choices are the 4k UHD X900A or Sony's highest end 1080p full HD W802A.

The dilemma is that the Shootout has only flagship series, but if we put the X900A it will be the only 4k UHD panel in the event and that's kind of unfair to all of the other displays.

My tentative decision is to put the highest-end W802A 1080p on the Shootout wall to compete with all of the other 1080p displays, but to also have the 4k UHD X900A on an adjacent wall just to show it off and do a brief comparison with the same Shootout wall content, but not to include it in the Shootout evaluation.

I can't post on AVS Forum or HDJ, but I will post this on Blu-ray.com and HDF as I would love to have as many a/v enthusiasts' feedback as possible.

Thanks for your help.

-Robert

#32 ·
I'll echo what others have said, your tentative plan is sound. Put the W802A in the shootout but have the 4K X900A there as well but not part of the shootout. It would be very interesting to see how the 4K model compares to the others. :T

#33 ·
Thank you all for the posts, PMs, and emails! All of which has been very helpful in making our decisions.

Hope to meet many of you at the Flat Panel Shootout evaluation event and to those who can not attend in person, please watch our live HD webcast.

-Robert

#34 ·
Re: Value Electronics 9th annual Shootout event

Hi Robert,
I would encourage you to please INCLUDE the Sony 4K in the shootout for the following reasons:

While everybody is correct that it is not fair to compare 4K content to 1080P and lower resolutions it is fare to test this set and its upscaling capabilities. The question myself and others is asking is the 720p, 1080i,1080p upscaling to 4K worthwhile in terms of picture quality. While we all know no more real detail is there can Sonys expertise in the 4K world payoff in this regard. Also is the Triluminos display really something to rave about. You and I have spoken recently (to refresh your memory Im down on Long Island) about the Sharp Elite and Samsung F8000s. While 7K is a lot of money for a TV there are many people who have spent that much on the 70 elite for its Full Local Array Dimming and others have spent similar money on the Samsung 75ES9000 and probably will for the 75F8000. Im waiting on you and the others on this forum to make me with my final decision and in that regard it is my own selfishness for this request but at the end of the day if a 4K TV that costs as much as some of the best 1080P TVs and can produce images using CURRENT CONTENT then this is something that should be considered by all IMHO.
Thanks again for all your help Robert,
Lloyd

#38 ·
Re: Value Electronics 9th annual Shootout event

Hi Robert,
I would encourage you to please INCLUDE the Sony 4K in the shootout for the following reasons:

While everybody is correct that it is not fair to compare 4K content to 1080P and lower resolutions it is fare to test this set and its upscaling capabilities. The question myself and others is asking is the 720p, 1080i,1080p upscaling to 4K worthwhile in terms of picture quality. While we all know no more real detail is there can Sonys expertise in the 4K world payoff in this regard. Also is the Triluminos display really something to rave about. You and I have spoken recently (to refresh your memory Im down on Long Island) about the Sharp Elite and Samsung F8000s. While 7K is a lot of money for a TV there are many people who have spent that much on the 70 elite for its Full Local Array Dimming and others have spent similar money on the Samsung 75ES9000 and probably will for the 75F8000. Im waiting on you and the others on this forum to make me with my final decision and in that regard it is my own selfishness for this request but at the end of the day if a 4K TV that costs as much as some of the best 1080P TVs and can produce images using CURRENT CONTENT then this is something that should be considered by all IMHO.
Thanks again for all your help Robert,
Lloyd
Lloyd,
I made the same point a few posts back and agree with you.
Best,
J

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.