The OPPO PM-2 Headphone Review Discussion Thread - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

2Likes
  • 2 Post By Todd Anderson

post #1 of 9 Old 07-22-16, 09:36 AM Thread Starter
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System
The OPPO PM-2 Headphone Review Discussion Thread

OPPO is sporting quite a bit of product diversity these days, ranging from Blu-ray players and headphones to headphone amps and a slick new Wi-Fi speaker. The company officially launched its first non-disc player offerings two years ago with the introduction of the PM-1 Planar Magnetic Headphone ($1,099) and HA-1 Headphone Amplifier ($1199). Soon there after, it released a second Planar Magnetic Headphone, the PM-2, which promised PM-1-like performance at a more affordable price. Currently selling for $699, the PM-2 has sufficiently solidified itself as a great option for the cost-minded enthusiast looking for access to premium sound. Today, well take a second look at the PM-2 with a quick performance review.

Click here to read the full review!
tripplej and afterlife2 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-22-16, 07:09 PM
Elite Shackster
Quenten

My System
Re: The OPPO PM-2 Headphone Review Discussion Thread

Hey Todd, excellent review! Makes me want to win the giveaway even more. Since I get the feeling that someone will win these things besides me, why not just send them to me & I'll take good care of them until the giveaway is done!!!
post #3 of 9 Old 07-23-16, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System

Thanks! I hope it helps sweeten this Giveaway... They are truly phenomenal headphones! Your chance of winning is just as good as everyone else's... So they might fall into your hands after all! :-)
post #4 of 9 Old 07-25-16, 05:26 PM
Elite Shackster
Quenten

My System

Well good luck to everybody! It is truly a great giveaway.
post #5 of 9 Old 07-26-16, 01:19 PM
Senior Shackster
Bryan

Good review Todd. Sounds like a nice piece. I personally don't listen via headphones enough to justify the cost, but if I did listen that way a lot I would be very interested in these, particularly since it sounds like they are easy-going enough in the high end to not be fatiguing. I like a crisp sound, but I don't want my ears to hurt after an hour of listening either.

It would be pretty sweet to win these though, I have to say
post #6 of 9 Old 07-26-16, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System

Thanks Bryan... I generally agree with you. My personal preference is to go with speakers and not headphones. But...these are the kind of headphones that might change your opinion. They're fantastic. Really no other way to put it. ;-)
post #7 of 9 Old 08-25-16, 01:08 PM

I just picked up my PM-2 a few days ago... So far very pleased with the results.

Goodluck to everyone in the giveaway
post #8 of 9 Old 08-30-16, 02:33 PM
Elite Shackster

Jon

My System

I just thought I'd chime in. Finally got around to reading the review. I love hearing about Oppo products, specifically when they make new products. While the Oppo headphones are not necessarily new to the market anymore, they still consistently impress me.

I've owned my pair of PM-1 right when they were first released two years ago in April. I've used them mostly every day since then and they still can bring a smile to my face.

Just like you mentioned, Todd - the word fatigue never enters my mind when I listen to these headphones. I end up using mine for a lot for watching late night movies, watching TV shows, playing games, along with the regular music listening sessions.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." - Groucho Marx
post #9 of 9 Old 09-10-16, 04:57 AM
Dean

I have had the Oppo 103D player for a couple weeks and am very impressed with its quality and feature set. Oppo is a serious contender in the world of high quality, high resolution audio. I do use the best headphones of Bose and while they are decent for smooth jazz, they are not too good wrt classical music. I'd love to win the PM-2 phones but if I don't I will buy the PM-3 version. I have had electrostatic speakers for about three weeks and am now very spoiled wrt to the coherent sound. My Bose headphones just don't cut the mustard anymore.