Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Wireless headphones

4K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  JBrax 
#1 ·
I thought I would get some opinions on the options out there for wireless headphones. I've recently upgraded to the iPhone 7 Plus and as fans of the iPhone know Apple is trying to force us to cut the cord. With the removal of the headphone jack I've decided to embrace the movement and am now shopping for some wireless headphones. The iPhone now includes the W1 chip that improves both battery life and range of headphones. I've done some research and this chip is some very impressive technology. Unfortunately, the options to take advantage of this tech is very limited right now. I've never been a fan of the Beats brand but the Powerbeats 3 look very appealing and the perfect earbuds for those with an active lifestyle. Whether it be going to the gym, biking, or going for a walk/run these buds look perfect for those applications. As I said the headphones/earbuds that include the W1 chip technology is very limited and since Apple owns the tech will probably remain so. The soon to be released Apple earpods and a few Beats models are the only options out there. I know the Beats are overpriced and understand the removal of the headphone jack is basically Apples way of purging more money from us consumers. Knowing all of this I still like the idea of cutting the cord for the activities I've described above and might pull the trigger on the Powerbeats 3 earbuds. Any opinions on the topic?

#7 ·
Must be nice...my wifi headphones were supposed to be good for 300', and they drop out going downstairs in our house, and I can't even make it to the end of our 100' driveway with a constant signal. :(

#10 · (Edited)
Oh, I won't be heart broken if real world results are less than advertised. Like I said if I can get half the advertised range (150 ft) I'd be thrilled. Maybe it's blind faith but I really think when Apple designs tech they usually get it right. I think the W1 chip just might surprise some people in regards to battery life and range. They also don't rush things to market if it's not right. A perfect example of this is the delayed release of the AirPods.

#11 ·
Well, some reviews I'm reading are stating a range of 50 feet for the Powerbeats 3 headphones. I'm not sure where I read the 300 foot range and maybe I just read it wrong? Oh well?that is still more than adequate for my needs as a wireless option in the gym, trail, and do all outdoors headphone. On the bright side many people are raving on the audio improvement from previous iterations. UPS will be delivering mine on Monday and I'm excited to give them a whirl.

#12 ·
I received my PowerBeats 3's today. Initial impressions are super easy and quick pairing, surprisingly good sound, and acceptable range. I didn't measure the range but I would guess 50 feet before the audio dropped out. Maybe a little pricy for some but excellent buds for those looking for a snug and secure workout earbud.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.