Which headphones do you currently use? - Page 12 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #111 of 134 Old 05-06-15, 01:58 PM
Shackster

John

My System
Re: Which headphones do you currently use?

For late night movie watching I put on my Senn HD280, love them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #112 of 134 Old 05-06-15, 03:52 PM
Elite Shackster
Charlie

My System
My mother-in-law gave me a bunch of money a couple years ago for my birthday and Christmas.
I bought HD 600 earphones and I use them all the time for later evening TV and music.
I love those headphones.
post #113 of 134 Old 05-06-15, 05:28 PM
Elite Shackster

Jon

My System

chashint, I had the Senn HD-650s before I got the Oppo PM-1 and the PM-1 improves on every single aspect of sonics over the HD-650s! Yeah they are quite a bit more expensive, but they are one of the best headphones I've heard to date. Not to mention, they feel, and look incredible.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." - Groucho Marx

post #114 of 134 Old 05-06-15, 06:42 PM
Elite Shackster
Wayne Myers

Kid Rock, or whoever, had better have no secrets, because they will all be revealed with the PM-1.
post #115 of 134 Old 05-06-15, 06:51 PM
Elite Shackster
Wayne Myers

I am using the PM-1 to listen for differences between DACs and headphone amps. With them, I am able to hear differences easily that I was not able to before with other headphones.
post #116 of 134 Old 05-06-15, 08:23 PM
Elite Shackster
Charlie

My System

I am very open to the notion there are better headphones out there than the HD 600's.
Probably less open to the notion of buying them.
post #117 of 134 Old 05-06-15, 09:17 PM
Elite Shackster
Wayne Myers

I should add that this is primarily for reviewing purposes, my current fun favorites are Beyerdynamic DT880 Premium 250 ohm.
post #118 of 134 Old 05-07-15, 01:42 PM
Senior Shackster

Muad' Dib

My System
Look I have a pair of Sennheisers and some Ultrasone 580s that's about as expensive as I can go on headphones for right now.

"Fear is the mind killer..."

-- Paul Atreides
post #119 of 134 Old 05-07-15, 02:55 PM
Elite Shackster

Jeff

My System
Quote:
AudiocRaver wrote: View Post
The Oppo PM-1s are the cleanest, most revealing phones I have ever placed on my head.
I looked at those briefly when shopping for some cans. Just a little rich for my taste at the time. Reviews seem to be universally positive. They definitely go above and beyond with the packaging on the PM-1's.
post #120 of 134 Old 06-08-15, 10:11 AM
Shackster
Max_V

I am using several pairs of cans for different purposes:
  • BeyerDynamic 880 Studio (20+ years old, 600 Ohms, open or semi-open): for listening to music, when I find time to do so. Very HQ phones, which I prefer for classical and jazz music
  • BeyerDynamic 770 (250 Ohms, closed): for listening, when I need hard stuff with heavy bass at near ear bleeding levels - which happens occassionally
  • Stax SR40 (with simple SRD-4 adaptor, driven by a separate T-amp): just close-by at one of my stereo set-ups. Quite relaxing sound, very clear, but a bit light on bass
  • Koss PortaPro (15 years old, open): while travelling. I haven't found anything better in such a small form factor at a price tag anywhere that affordable
  • Sony MDR-ZX600 (closed): mainly for portable use while filming or travelling, but simply less resolution, than even the lowly Koss Porta Pro and not anywhere comparable to the rest of the bunch.

My dearest headphones are clearly the DT-880 Studios, but the 770 is very remarkable, given its low price.