Which headphones do you currently use? - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 134 Old 09-30-11, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Kick logic 2 da curb

Which headphones do you currently use?

Currently, I am using the Audio Technica ATH-M50s. For what they are (closed DJ Monitors) they're just fantastic. They really give you a reference for, at minimum, how much detail is in a recording and should be strived for in a room environment. Their distortion is through the floor. For whatever reason, though, I've never been able to get them "dialed in" to tonal perfection, even with a 30 band EQ... and i sometimes suspect they've got a bit too much bass energy. However given what I paid for them, i thought they were a great deal. The truth is, i get the most use out of closed end cans than i'd ever get out of open ended cans, and that to me was a big factor, even at the cost of absolute accuracy.

For my next pair of headphones I really want to try one of two things

1) I've always wanted to give a pair of DIY headphones a shot. I've seen it done with speaker ribbon tweeters and it's fascinating. However the psychacoustic research to determine exactly how we perceive tonality with the source of sound right at our ears, is still a bit over my head, as much of it as i've tried to read. The major things i've learned, are that i need to implement some level of rising low frequency response, although i'm not sure if I buy this. I've also heard a need for a declining high frequency response, and this one I do buy, just not sure to what extent. Finally I need to figure out the frequency where my ears canals form a resonance and cut that frequency.

2) I've always wanted to hear a pair of "STAX". Unfortunately there's nowhere near me that sells these that i'm aware of, and even if there was, the cost is a bit "difficult"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 134 Old 09-30-11, 07:29 PM
Elite Shackster

Jack

Re: Which headphones do you currently use?

Hello,
I cannot blame you for wanting to try Stax's. They are simply amazing. DIY would be fun in that you can custom design them to perfectly fit your head. Stax's are so good that if you find a deal on them, I would simply jump on them.
Cheers,
JJ

HT
Speakers: Martin Logan Vantage (Mains), Martin Logan Stage (Center), Martin Logan Vista (Surrounds), Martin Logan Montages (Surrounds) Hsu Research VTF-15h MK2, Martin Logan Descent i (Subwoofer)
Amplification: Aragon 8008bb, Parasound HCA-3500, Parasound HCA-2205 AT, Parasound HCA-1000a
AVR/SSP: Denon AVR-4520CI
Electronics: OPPO BDP-93
Gaming Consoles: Sony PS4, Xbox 360 S (250 gb)
Display: Panasonic TC-P65ZT60, Sony KDL-55EX500, Sony KD-34XBR910
post #3 of 134 Old 09-30-11, 09:39 PM
Senior Shackster

Audio Technica ATH-AD700s. I only use them for counterstrike

post #4 of 134 Old 10-01-11, 02:57 AM
Shackster

cafyon

I have a Koss Pro4AAT for serious listening and a Technics RP-F300 for lousy stuff.
post #5 of 134 Old 10-01-11, 11:05 AM
Inactive
Ty

As is the case for the Stax, and most all other cans, I would imagine you could buy with a good return policy and give them a listen first before being obligated to keep. Cans seem to be like speakers, most all the good performers are hard to audition locally. Luckily headphones are much easier to audition and return than speakers...

That having been said, my Sennheiser 650s are my favorite piece of gear. I can (and often do) listen for 6-8 hours straight without fatigue or discomfort, very laid back and full-range presentation like nobody's business. $350 from a factory authorized seller. I think the 600s are even less expensive than that and are more forward in their presentation, also may be a better choice depending on what kind of music you like.

If you decide against the diy there are many great choices from Stax, Sennheiser, AKG, Grado and even Sony, audition for several hours straight to ensure their sound and comfort works for you.
post #6 of 134 Old 10-02-11, 05:35 PM
HTS Senior Moderator
HTS Reviewer

2 channel view

My System

Not HiFi, hope this is ok here. The best workout headphones I have found. Perfect for biking, they grip your head tightly, are adjustable for comfort and the semi-open back allows you to hear what is going on around you. Wish they had a single sided cord, though. They really do sound pretty decent.

Koss PortaPro

Name:  PortaPro_1.jpg
Views: 1274
Size:  16.6 KB

http://reviews.cnet.com/headphones/k...-32897197.html

"I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit." - Bill Hicks
post #7 of 134 Old 10-02-11, 05:43 PM
Senior Shackster
Matt

etymotic er4s
post #8 of 134 Old 10-08-11, 01:02 AM
Senior Shackster

vann_d

My System

Quote:
tesseract wrote: View Post
Not HiFi, hope this is ok here. The best workout headphones I have found. Perfect for biking, they grip your head tightly, are adjustable for comfort and the semi-open back allows you to hear what is going on around you. Wish they had a single sided cord, though. They really do sound pretty decent.

Koss PortaPro

Attachment 32924

http://reviews.cnet.com/headphones/k...-32897197.html
It's funny, when I was a freshmen in college ('94), I had a pair of Koss headphones and a pair of Sony headphones. I thought it was so weird that the Koss sounded so much better than the Sony because I thought Sony was a great band (which they are for some things). I've always though of Koss as cheap WalMart stuff until recently I read some reviews. Anyway, good workout 'phones are tough to find...
post #9 of 134 Old 12-10-11, 07:38 PM
Shackster

Etymotic HF5 (outdoor), Senn HD280 (tracking), HD555 (client reference)
post #10 of 134 Old 12-10-11, 07:49 PM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

AKG K-141s, Ive been using these since 1991 and still sound great.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900