Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Which headphones do you currently use?

Tags
headphones
41K views 147 replies 99 participants last post by  Rosalind- 
#1 ·
Currently, I am using the Audio Technica ATH-M50s. For what they are (closed DJ Monitors) they're just fantastic. They really give you a reference for, at minimum, how much detail is in a recording and should be strived for in a room environment. Their distortion is through the floor. For whatever reason, though, I've never been able to get them "dialed in" to tonal perfection, even with a 30 band EQ... and i sometimes suspect they've got a bit too much bass energy. However given what I paid for them, i thought they were a great deal. The truth is, i get the most use out of closed end cans than i'd ever get out of open ended cans, and that to me was a big factor, even at the cost of absolute accuracy.

For my next pair of headphones I really want to try one of two things

1) I've always wanted to give a pair of DIY headphones a shot. I've seen it done with speaker ribbon tweeters and it's fascinating. However the psychacoustic research to determine exactly how we perceive tonality with the source of sound right at our ears, is still a bit over my head, as much of it as i've tried to read. The major things i've learned, are that i need to implement some level of rising low frequency response, although i'm not sure if I buy this. I've also heard a need for a declining high frequency response, and this one I do buy, just not sure to what extent. Finally I need to figure out the frequency where my ears canals form a resonance and cut that frequency.

2) I've always wanted to hear a pair of "STAX". Unfortunately there's nowhere near me that sells these that i'm aware of, and even if there was, the cost is a bit "difficult" :rofl: :innocent:

See less See more
#2 ·
Hello,
I cannot blame you for wanting to try Stax's. They are simply amazing. DIY would be fun in that you can custom design them to perfectly fit your head. Stax's are so good that if you find a deal on them, I would simply jump on them.
Cheers,
JJ

#68 ·
I'm still using the same headphones, and still playing the same old game. I hardly ever play anymore though :(

I've had a few other pairs of headphones in and out of my hands, but they were all cheaper and much less comfortable than the AD700s.

I don't know the model number, but I am using some cheap JVC iems at work. I also have some moshi vortex pro iems for flights or whatever.

#5 ·
As is the case for the Stax, and most all other cans, I would imagine you could buy with a good return policy and give them a listen first before being obligated to keep. Cans seem to be like speakers, most all the good performers are hard to audition locally. Luckily headphones are much easier to audition and return than speakers...

That having been said, my Sennheiser 650s are my favorite piece of gear. I can (and often do) listen for 6-8 hours straight without fatigue or discomfort, very laid back and full-range presentation like nobody's business. $350 from a factory authorized seller. I think the 600s are even less expensive than that and are more forward in their presentation, also may be a better choice depending on what kind of music you like.

If you decide against the diy there are many great choices from Stax, Sennheiser, AKG, Grado and even Sony, audition for several hours straight to ensure their sound and comfort works for you.

#6 ·
#8 ·
Not HiFi, hope this is ok here. The best workout headphones I have found. Perfect for biking, they grip your head tightly, are adjustable for comfort and the semi-open back allows you to hear what is going on around you. Wish they had a single sided cord, though. They really do sound pretty decent.

Koss PortaPro

View attachment 32924

http://reviews.cnet.com/headphones/koss-portapro-headphones/4505-7877_7-32897197.html
It's funny, when I was a freshmen in college ('94), I had a pair of Koss headphones and a pair of Sony headphones. I thought it was so weird that the Koss sounded so much better than the Sony because I thought Sony was a great band (which they are for some things). I've always though of Koss as cheap WalMart stuff until recently I read some reviews. Anyway, good workout 'phones are tough to find...

#10 ·
AKG K-141s, Ive been using these since 1991 and still sound great.

#11 ·
I love using headphones, as I feel they give a unique experience and a definite flavor (some others may interpret that as perversion of the sound) to whatever I'm listening to. I have three pairs that I have used extensively---

Etymotic ER6i--these are in-ear headphones which I find are very pleasant and reasonably accurate for non-critical listening. I first used them when studying a lot, with gun muffs over my ears as well, and in in that configuration they were incredible sounding on top of drowning out the blatherings of those around me. Now I use them when doing yard work, in the garage etc...they're FAR better than most of the mp3 headphones that others use and they block extraneous sounds well.

Grado SR60--These sound good to all of those I let wear them. They're especially good for low power devices. I just find them really uncomfortable.

Sennheiser HD600--This is the pair I used to soothe my soul while I saved up for speakers (only because it sometimes stinks to have ones head tethered to a cord). I still like to listen to anything new on them, and I can wear them for hours without even noticing. There may be better headphones (and I'd love to hear a pair of electrostatics), but my needs have been met.

#16 ·
I use Denon D-5000 for listening Music in the evening, Sennheiser HD 598 in bedroom and the very fine Grado SR-60, when i am away on business or vacation.

Last month i listened to HIFIMAN HE-5LE, but the HIFIMAN (or another) amplifier for headphones is necessary. Maybe this one is the alternate to the Denon this year.

#17 · (Edited)
I got the Grado SR80i. Good sound, fairly comfortable to me, but with the open design can bother others near you. I don't regret getting them.

I had Koss Pro4As in the day and they were excellent. I might pick up a set again for old time's sake.

#18 ·
Sennheiser RS-170's. They sound great plus the wife needs them due to a hearing problem, but what bugs me, I have to unplug the AC to the transmitting base for the unit to come on even after the power on button on the headphones has been pressed. Odd...

#22 ·
I've been through a few pairs in my time.

The Sennheiser HD-650's were a little dark but very smooth - That was on a Graham Slee amp.
I then had Stax 303's that were very good on classical but lacked a bit of bass kick on rock etc.
I had a pair of woody AT's - look nice but not the ultimate.

I am now using AKG 701's and that is where it is at for the moment. I think my headphone taste changed as my speaker taste changed. I wanted more and more clarity and speed and enough bass to involve me.

I don't use the phones much these days- but there is a reason for that.

#23 ·
Two in the lineup:

A pair of Sennheiser HD-470 open backs. These have a nice airy sound. I've had these for years, and the foam is kind of worn, and the headband is broken. The drivers themselves still work great though.

This past summer I picked up a pair of Shure SE-215. These are in-ear-monitors with a wrap around design. They have foam or rubber tips. I absolutely love these things, for a myriad of reasons. For $100 they sound really great. These are the lowest model that Shure makes, so I'm sure the upper ones sound even better. I find the highs to be a little harsh. Also, the sound isolation is ABSOLUTELY INCREDIBLE!!!! I use the foam tips, which you insert like ear plugs: scrunch them up then let them expand and seal your ear. With these in and music from my Zune playing at 1/20, I can't hear people talking around me. 2/20, I can't hear people talking TO me. 10/20, I can comfortably drown out lawn mowers, vacuums, grinders, routers, etc. (Great when I'm hard at work building speakers :R) 20/20 = instant pain. Another nice feature is that once they're in, there is no chance they're coming out accidentally. They also sit flat in the ear, so you can comfortably rest your head on a pillow, which is nice for reading/napping. The cables are also detachable and swivel where they join the drivers.

#24 ·
I'm a big fan of the Shure headphones, as well. After trying several different brands of headphones I ended up with the Shure DJ-Pro750 headphones. Made specifically with DJ'ing in mind, but they actually are surprisingly good for everything else. I tried others and some sounded better on specific parts of the sound spectrum, but I think the Shures have the most well-rounded sound of all the cans I tried.

#25 ·
I've heard the Shure 840s and they were rather balanced. Another DJ Can i've been very impressed by, has been the Denon DN HP1000

#26 ·
I listen through Grado HF-1s. I've just recently pulled them out of storage, and have discovered the pads are starting to flake off on me when I wear them. Time to start looking for replacement pads, I guess.

I'm intrigued by orthodynamics, though. They're on my "bucket list". :D I haven't heard any yet, but the Hifiman HE-400s may find their way into my home someday.

#27 ·
I have had a lot of headphones in my life. I am currently using Beyerdynamic DT990 Pros, and absolutely love them. I had a pair of Sennheiser HD600s and they really didn't do anything for me. Found them quite "blah". I run my cans through a DIY Waarde tube amplifier which is wonderful. The trick with headphone amps you have to pay close attention to matching impedances. Saying that, a nice tube amp I consider "vital" when listening to music :)

#28 ·
For travel I use Sure E2C's wtih my ipod

For home I picked up a pair of HiFiMan HE-500's that are incredible, and I compaired them to a lot of others while at CanJam at RMAF this year.

For work I have a pair of Sens that are closed back, I like to crank it up some times :hsd:

I need to start looking for a good amp for the HE500s but an ipod will drive them no problems

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.