100 hz dip - Page 4 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #31 of 76 Old 08-08-16, 02:24 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Bryan Pape

Send a message via AIM to bpape Send a message via Skype™ to bpape
Re: 100 hz dip

At least 4" thick with a 4" gap.

I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

Bryan Pape
Lead Acoustician

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 76 Old 08-08-16, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
Matthijs

Thanks allot
post #33 of 76 Old 08-11-16, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
Matthijs

Hi again , Im doubting between doing the whole ceiling with 6 inch glasswool or doing it with the 2 panels you described. Would treating the whole ceiling kill to much of the space ? or would it be a good thing ? i am not sure in this case. What is your experience with this types of ceilings if i may ask?

post #34 of 76 Old 08-11-16, 03:51 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Bryan Pape

I wouldn't kill the whole ceiling. Actually 4" with a 4" gap is as good or better than a 6" panel flush with the surface.

Bryan Pape
Lead Acoustician

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #35 of 76 Old 08-11-16, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
Matthijs

Great, good to know. Your talking about the whole ceiling surface with 4 inch gaps between them right ? Becouse we talked about 2 panels for the ceiling with the mirror trick before this..
post #36 of 76 Old 08-11-16, 07:02 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Bryan Pape

Yes - just cover the reflection zone - not the whole ceiling.

Bryan Pape
Lead Acoustician

post #37 of 76 Old 10-25-16, 04:42 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
Matthijs

Okay thank you, i was also asking about the panel flush because i forgot to mention there is no proper isolation at this moment. It might look like it on the photos but its actually not doing much, behind the grey surface you can see on the photo's is just wood. This is still no issue now i mentioned it?
this whole project has bin a bit delayed but today i'm finally gonna buy all the stuff i need so i thought lets double check just to be sure.

Front wall : 4”-6”. ( x 2 )
Rear wall : 6” ( x 2 )
Side walls : 4” with a bit of gap behind it ( x 2 )
Ceiling : 4” with 4” gap ( x 2 )

So this is a summary of what you advised me to get. Only at the ceiling and side walls
you talked about “gaps”. For the side walls a bit of gap and for the ceiling a 4 inch gap.
This is just to get more out of it right ? so it also will absorb more bass frequencies ?
Shouldn't i then do all of them ? or do the front and rear wall don’t need the gaps somehow ?

I'm planning to do them all 6 inch to be sure. The only thing is when doing all the 6 inch panels with 4 inch gaps i get 10 inch thick panels, that's kind of huge, that won't even fit behind my TV on the front wall without changing my listening position. Also is it still effective if the tv is in front of the panels ? the tv(50”) is already a reflective surface of it self i can imagine.

For the ceiling i will be using the mirror technique but what about the front and the back ?
is there a rule about where to place them ?

For the sidewalls you talked about 2 panels on each side. But with the mirror technique i will only find one reflective zone, so where then should i place the second ?.

And final question : How important is it the panels are 2x4' ? I can get rockwool at sizes of 100 cm by 61 cm (15 inch thick) for way much cheaper then the 2x4.
post #38 of 76 Old 10-25-16, 08:39 AM
HTS Senior Moderator

Bryan Pape

4" on the front wall is fine. No need for 6" and 4" gap. 6" with a couple inch gap on the rear wall. The rest, 4 and 4 is fine.

Bryan Pape
Lead Acoustician

post #39 of 76 Old 10-25-16, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
Matthijs

Oke, it won't even matter if i use 4 or 6 inch for the rest :O ?

So how can i find the second spot for the side panels ? i can only find 1 with the mirror trick
Im also asking because there might not be enough space for another panel next to it (depending on how for away from each other) because there's a window on one side prettu close next to the reflection point and a door on the other side.

And where to place the panels on the rear and the front ? Is there a rule on where to place them ?

And how important is it the panels are 2x4' ? I can get rock-wool at sizes of 100 cm by 61 cm (15 inch thick) for way much cheaper then the 2x4. in ft that would be 3.3'x2'. I can still make it work by cutting them of course if it will really make a big difference.
Attached Thumbnails
100 hz dip-img_4153.jpg  

100 hz dip-img_4152.jpg  

100 hz dip-img_4151.jpg  

100 hz dip-img_4150.jpg  

post #40 of 76 Old 10-25-16, 11:51 AM
HTS Senior Moderator

Bryan Pape

In the reflection zone the more surface area the better. 6" for behind you and any corners and 4" for the rest. Make the 2nd panel smaller if needed to fit with the window interference. Find the 2nd point the same way you did the first - just have someone keep moving the mirror closer to you til you see the opposite speaker.

Reflection Point Video - http://www.gikacoustics.com/video-ea...ection-points/

Bryan Pape
Lead Acoustician