Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

ceiling tile help

Tags
ceiling tile
5K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  hjones4841 
#1 ·
My dedicated HT has a drop ceiling (it is roughly 12 X 24 x 8) and I am looking for suitable materials for the ceiling tiles. I was looking at doing the whole ceiling in black Acoustaboard ( I paid a donation to the forum but I guess it hasn't gone through yet, it won't let my post the link to the Acoustaboard specs. - basically the same as OC 703 ) but am wondering if that will be too much absorption. I have Owens Corning Select Sound Black Acoustic Board half way up the side walls and full height behind the audio transparent screen. I also plan on adding corner bass traps in all 4 corners.

Thanks!

#2 ·
My thread "Klipschorns and Room Treatments" discusses what I did with my drop ceiling earlier this year. I ended up with ordinary "acoustic" tiles from Lowes, but covered them with black posterboard, then wrapped the tiles with black burlap (wanted a black out ceiling since I have a front projector).

The idea for putting the posterboard on top of the tiles came from Bryan Pape of GIK. It keeps the tiles from absorbing the high freqs. He said that heavy paper would work also - tried that but could not get it to glue to the tiles without a lot of bubbles.

Anyway, I put R30 insulation above all the tiles to enhance bass absorption, making the ceiling one big bass trap. I already had several bass traps in the room, but doing the ceiling this way made a big improvement in the REW waterfall plots.

#5 ·
HJones,
Do you think painting the white tiles, filling in all the little holes, will have a similar effect to the posterboard?
By painting ceiling tiles you reduce substantially the amount of acoustic absorption the ceiling tile will do so I dont recommend it.

#6 ·
That's kind of the idea Tony. He wants to reduce the HF absorption. Bass absorption won't change.

That said, paint will not reach as far down into the midrange at stopping absorption as something like card stock.

Bryan

#7 ·
Opps, sorry. I guess I should read more of the post before replying:hide:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.