Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

2 Channel Room Needs Treatment

6K views 29 replies 3 participants last post by  bpape 
#1 ·
Hello Bryan and other interested parties. I would like to post some pertinent REW charts to begin analyzing and correcting my "man cave" 2 channel room which is dire need of some treatment. I am interested in bass trapping, diffusion and reflection treating in fairly bare room.

What REW charts are useful to start the discussion, SPL and Waterfall? In what range? My speakers are getting usable output into the low 30Hz range in room.

I am using REW with a RadioShack analog meter (from my reading may not be useful much higher than 3k) if that is helpful to know.

I also have a very rough layout of the room (using Paint).

I have been playing with REW and various seating locations as well, (basically distance from the back wall).

#27 ·
Knockin' down that 75Hz peak is definitely a plus.

I'll try 78" (although every time I've tested at that distance those nulls between 100-200Hz increase), 66", 60" and see what happens. I would think I'd need to balance the speaker seating location side to side in the room. Or, at least move things towards the closet side somewhat. Wait and see I suppose for the results first.

Thanks,
Scott

#28 ·
Here are the measurements taken with closets open and speakers position stable. Each one represents strictly lp distance change from the back wall.

Text Green Line Diagram Slope

Text Line Font Plot Slope

Text Line Blue Font Diagram

Text Line Blue Font Diagram

The 66" lp excepting the 90Hz worsening shows some potential the dips in the 100-200Hz range are not as drastic; slightly better than the open closet 72" graph at mid 40Hz, worse at mid 60Hz.

Time to try moving speaker location relative to the new centerof the room with open closet configuration?

Thanks, Scott

#29 ·
Bryan I need a sanity check... I've removed the cabinet doors and been measuring various speaker locations from 16"-41" depth (speaker to wall), varied the distance from the side walls and listening position from the back wall. Please take a look I think the 18",36" & 41" (speaker depth to wall) show the most potential for more experimentation. Am I making progress?:scratch:

Text Line Slope Plot Diagram

Text Green Line Diagram Slope

Text Line Diagram Plot Slope

Text Line Green Diagram Slope

Text Line Plot Purple Pattern

Text Line Diagram Slope Plot

Text Line Plot Slope Purple

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.