Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Need feedback on my first panel

3K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Duaned 
#1 ·
I finally got around to building my first prototype wall panel. Three of these are to be used on the front wall behind the main speakers (along with floor to ceiling superchunks of 703 in the front corners).

I have not covered this with fabric yet (I have some burlap all ready to go)- like I said it's a prototype and I want to get some feedback on what I did right or wrong before I finalize this one or start any others. Keep in mind my skills and tools are pretty limited!

Photos and a short write-up can be found here:

http://swbg1.tripod.com/diy_acoustic_panels.htm

I'd appreciate any tips or feedback from the pro's...and/or experienced DIY'ers!

Thanks,
Chuck

#2 ·
Looks pretty good. I don't have any idea what the density on that fiberglass is but for reflection duties, it should be fine. I would recommend pulling the vinyl off the back to fully take advantage of the air gap behind.

Bryan

#3 ·
I don't have any idea what the density on that fiberglass is but for reflection duties, it should be fine. I would recommend pulling the vinyl off the back to fully take advantage of the air gap behind.
Yeah, the panels are a bit of an unknown quantity...but hopefully they'll do something. I thought the backing would be nice for the rear of the panel but I'll go ahead and peel it off to get any extra air gap benefits per your suggestion. Thanks for the tip Bryan.

#4 ·
If you want to stabilize things, you can spray a LIGHT coat of spray adhesive (on the panel back to prevent any shedding. Normally, this wouldn't be needed but since you're breaking the surface by removing a glued on layer, you may want to.

Bryan

#8 ·
chas,

Nice job; I'm inspired by your work. I'm in the middle of kinda finishing my basement (leaving the floors and walls concrete, but double-drywalling and green-gluing for some level of soundproofing), but when I'm done with that, I'm gonna do what you did.

What do you think your cost per panel was? Are these guys 2' x 4'?

Great job!

#10 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys. Otto, the panels are 2 X 4...I'll have to figure out what the cost is on them. With the burlap (not yet installed) I'm guessing they'll come out under $20 a panel.

I really have not even looked into REW yet. My caveman computer is on it's last legs and I doubt it would even run the software without freezing or crashing. I did take some very basic measurements a while ago when playing with the phase on my sub. I just used some downloaded test tones burned to CD and a RS meter (I used the correction figures from this site).

http://swbg1.tripod.com/mysub_spl_htshack_corr.xls

Sonnie I would almost be afraid to take before and after measurements. It would break my heart to do all this work and have the measurements look worse!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.