Corner trap depth vs efficiency - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com
Home Theater Shack Forums
Newegg: The perfect solution for all your HTPC and media server build needs! Creative Sound Solutions: Loudspeaker kits and components for subwoofers, midwoofers, woofers and full range speakers! XTZ Sound Marantz OPPO Digital - Universal Network 3D Blu-ray Players - Buy Direct from the Manufacturer Chane Music & Cinema Madisound Parts Express: Excellent Source for DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Projects! Musicians Friend: Your one stop shop for microphones, mic amps and Behringer products. Value Electronics: A trusted retailer and custom installer that specializes in whole-house audio, home theater, Plasma, LCD, LED, HDTVs, Blu-ray and more. Genelec: Active Speakers and Speaker Systems Audio General, Inc.: Great deals on projectors, screens and electronics. Underwood HiFi - Excellent discounts on some awesome name brands. Power Sound Audio designs, develops, and assembles high quality loudspeakers and subwoofers for home theater environments. Visual Apex: The most competitive pricing for home theater projectors... and built on customer satisfaction! SVSound Emotiva is your Home Theater Component Source for Audiophile Quality Home Theater Equipment at Factory Direct Prices

Like Us on facebookREW
Go Back   Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com > Home Theater Installation | Systems > Home Audio Acoustics
Forgot Password?
Donations Reviews Vendors

GIK Acoustics
 Reply     Post New Thread
Views: 2252 - Replies: 25  
Old 01-30-08, 01:41 PM   #11
HTS Senior Moderator

Bryan Pape
Since: Sep 2006
Wildwood, MO (St. Loui
Re: Corner trap depth vs efficiency

It won't go a ton deeper but it will do some. It is also 25% more surface area - not just more depth. It's really more about getting more efficient absorbtion down low. So, instead of say a .5 at 50hz, you might go to a .65 or so (pure guessing here - just an example) rather than saying OK, now it's going to do 25hz instead of 30hz. Both will do something down that low, just a matter of how much.

The next logical step from a 17x17x24" solid triangle (8 pcs per 2x4 sheet) is a 24x24x34 triangle (4 pcs per sheet). This is almost 50% increase in facial surface area plus an additional 7" of depth - but at double the material cost and significantly more space out of the room.

Bryan

I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

Bryan Pape
Lead Acoustician
GIK Acoustics

Forum Rules Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-09, 08:48 PM   #12

Howard
Since: May 2006
Northern VA
Question Re: Corner trap depth vs efficiency

Would 17" X 17" squares of absorbing material from floor to ceiling in a corner be twice as good as 17" X 17" X 24" corner chunks? It would have twice as much absorbing material, but it would extend 12" further into the room.

Howard

Old 05-25-09, 08:40 AM   #13
HTS Senior Moderator

Bryan Pape
Wildwood, MO (St. Loui

Twice as good? Probably not. You're getting 2 17" wide by X high sides as opposed to a single 24" wide by X high side. Yes, it will give you more exposure - and - it will reach deeper into the subwoofer range more effectively.

You could split the difference and get the same area and better absorption by doing a 12x12" square with the same amount of material it takes to do the17x17x24" triangles.

Bryan

Bryan Pape
Lead Acoustician
GIK Acoustics

Old 05-25-09, 09:25 AM   #14

Howard
Northern VA

What about rotating the triangles 180 degrees to make a column with absorber in the outer half of each square. Would this have significantly more effectiveness, just a little more or essentially the same?

Old 05-25-09, 09:28 AM   #15
HTS Senior Moderator

Bryan Pape
Wildwood, MO (St. Loui

It would be more surface area and perform a bit deeper due to the absorption being farther from the corner. Never tried it this way. I wouldn't think it would be significantly better than the 12x12 solid.

Turning it like that still has the edges of the triangle without much thickness.

Bryan

Bryan Pape
Lead Acoustician
GIK Acoustics

Old 05-25-09, 09:36 AM   #16

Howard
Northern VA

Thanks. That was what I thought. Since I prefer the appearance of the columns in the corners rather than the angle of the typical triangular chunks, I am now considering the use of columns with triangles in the outer half of each square vs. columns with the same dimensions completely filled. The second option is twice as expensive, but perhaps not quite twice as effective.

Old 05-25-09, 09:40 AM   #17
HTS Senior Moderator

Bryan Pape
Wildwood, MO (St. Loui

Correct. The 12"x12" IMO is the best way to go if you want to keep costs down and still get excellent performance with the look of columns and not taking up as much space.

Bryan

Bryan Pape
Lead Acoustician
GIK Acoustics

Old 05-25-09, 12:53 PM   #18

Howard
Northern VA

Thanks for your help, Brian.

Howard

Old 06-23-09, 03:11 AM   #19
Shackster

Peter
Since: Apr 2006
Melbourne Australia

Hi, When you guys say 12" x 12", do you mean width, depth and what ever the hight of the corner is?

Peter

Old 06-23-09, 06:39 AM   #20
HTS Senior Moderator

Bryan Pape
Wildwood, MO (St. Loui

Yes. That's exactly it. Just frame it out and stack 12"x12" squares floor to ceiling in the framing.

Bryan

Bryan Pape
Lead Acoustician
GIK Acoustics

Reply     Post New Thread     Back to Top of Page

Parts Express: Excellent Source for DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Projects!   Onkyo   GIK Acoustics: Home audio acoustics at its best... especially when you have help from the owners right here at the Shack!  Check out their very affordable acoustic panels!   Nyrius   Aperion Audio   Newegg: The perfect solution for all your HTPC and media server build needs!

Check out the Woot product for today!   Musicians Friend: Your one stop shop for microphones, mic amps and Behringer products.   Become a Sponsor   Monoprice Electronics   Amazon   Velodyne

« Home Theater Shack > Home Theater Installation | Systems > Home Audio Acoustics »

« Previous Thread   Next Thread »