Corner trap depth vs efficiency - Page 3 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com
Home Theater Shack Forums
Marantz OPPO Digital - Universal Network 3D Blu-ray Players - Buy Direct from the Manufacturer Chane Music & Cinema Madisound Parts Express: Excellent Source for DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Projects! Musicians Friend: Your one stop shop for microphones, mic amps and Behringer products. Value Electronics: A trusted retailer and custom installer that specializes in whole-house audio, home theater, Plasma, LCD, LED, HDTVs, Blu-ray and more. Genelec: Active Speakers and Speaker Systems Audio General, Inc.: Great deals on projectors, screens and electronics. Underwood HiFi - Excellent discounts on some awesome name brands. Power Sound Audio designs, develops, and assembles high quality loudspeakers and subwoofers for home theater environments. Visual Apex: The most competitive pricing for home theater projectors... and built on customer satisfaction! SVSound Emotiva is your Home Theater Component Source for Audiophile Quality Home Theater Equipment at Factory Direct Prices Newegg: The perfect solution for all your HTPC and media server build needs! Creative Sound Solutions: Loudspeaker kits and components for subwoofers, midwoofers, woofers and full range speakers! XTZ Sound

Like Us on facebookREW
Go Back   Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com > Home Theater Installation | Systems > Home Audio Acoustics
Forgot Password?
Donations Reviews Vendors

Reply     Post New Thread
Views: 2376 - Replies: 25  
Old 06-23-09, 11:50 AM   #21
Shackster

drrick
Since: Nov 2006
Re: Corner trap depth vs efficiency

I don't think this is really threadjacking, but a related question. First of all, I was somewhat confused about which is more effective, 12x12 squares or 17x17 triangles? I guess the 17x17 seems intuitively to me like it would be better, but I'm learning that I shouldn't just trust my instincts with acoustics

The second question I have is related to my own setup. I currently have a 4 inch thick 2'x4' panel straddling the corner. Would it be better to make this into a chunk absorber or not? Obviously with a chunk absorber (using the same material) I'm only going to be going up the wall 32" as opposed to the 48" I'm currently covering. What's the tradeoff, and is one preferable in different situations? I'm just trying to figure out the most effective approach. Thanks!

Forum Rules Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-09, 12:11 PM   #22
HTS Senior Moderator

Bryan Pape
Since: Sep 2006
Wildwood, MO (St. Loui

Actually, a 12" square will work a little better. The 17x17x24" has 17" only at the wall surface and at 45 degrees is 12" thick. The 12x12" is 12" thick both ways full surface and is 17" thick at diagonal. The issue with that is that it takes up more space in many situations.

If you change the 4" thick to chunks, you'll get deeper extension, but at the cost of 33% of your surface area. The other option is to compromise and do 8"x8" chunks which will give you actually a little more height and similar extension to what you have now.

Bryan

I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

Bryan Pape
Lead Acoustician
GIK Acoustics

Old 06-23-09, 12:34 PM   #23
Shackster

drrick

One further question just to clarify my understanding. I know the general rule is that more surface area is always better. Is there ever a time where what I described might be beneficial (e.g. is it possible that you might see enough gains down low with the chunk that isn't as tall that it would be worth sacrificing the surface area)? If you cut down the surface area, basically you're losing overall effectiveness right? You'd basically be trading increased absorption down low for an overall reduction in absorption everywhere else. Am I understanding things correctly? If so, it seems like the best option is to either stick with a similar surface area or get more material! (with the latter obviously being most preferable)

Old 06-23-09, 12:41 PM   #24
HTS Senior Moderator

Bryan Pape
Wildwood, MO (St. Loui

Is there EVER a time? Probably - but not usually. If all of your issues are still able to be resolved with less surface, then it might work.

What you're trading is potentially dealing with lower frequencies vs. more control of decay times.

Bryan

Bryan Pape
Lead Acoustician
GIK Acoustics

Old 06-23-09, 05:46 PM   #25
Shackster

drrick

Thanks! That clears it up for me. I appreciate you taking the time to help me understand some of these acoustic principles.

Old 06-23-09, 06:40 PM   #26
HTS Senior Moderator

Bryan Pape
Wildwood, MO (St. Loui

No problem at all. It's not a simple thing. There are a TON of variables involved. If you'd like to give a little more info:

- room dims
- what it's used for
- how many people
- how many and what kind of seats
- how the room is built

I can take a WAG at it. A sketch would be a ton of help too.

Bryan

Bryan Pape
Lead Acoustician
GIK Acoustics

Reply     Post New Thread     Back to Top of Page

Check out the Woot product for today!   Musicians Friend: Your one stop shop for microphones, mic amps and Behringer products.   Cmple   Monoprice Electronics   Amazon   Velodyne

Parts Express: Excellent Source for DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Projects!   Onkyo   GIK Acoustics: Home audio acoustics at its best... especially when you have help from the owners right here at the Shack!  Check out their very affordable acoustic panels!   Nyrius   Aperion Audio   Axiom Audio

« Home Theater Shack > Home Theater Installation | Systems > Home Audio Acoustics »

« Previous Thread   Next Thread »