Speakers And Room Size - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com
Home Theater Shack Forums
XTZ Sound Marantz OPPO Digital - Universal Network 3D Blu-ray Players - Buy Direct from the Manufacturer Chane Music & Cinema Madisound Parts Express: Excellent Source for DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Projects! Musicians Friend: Your one stop shop for microphones, mic amps and Behringer products. Value Electronics: A trusted retailer and custom installer that specializes in whole-house audio, home theater, Plasma, LCD, LED, HDTVs, Blu-ray and more. Genelec: Active Speakers and Speaker Systems Audio General, Inc.: Great deals on projectors, screens and electronics. Underwood HiFi - Excellent discounts on some awesome name brands. Power Sound Audio designs, develops, and assembles high quality loudspeakers and subwoofers for home theater environments. Visual Apex: The most competitive pricing for home theater projectors... and built on customer satisfaction! SVSound Emotiva is your Home Theater Component Source for Audiophile Quality Home Theater Equipment at Factory Direct Prices Newegg: The perfect solution for all your HTPC and media server build needs! Creative Sound Solutions: Loudspeaker kits and components for subwoofers, midwoofers, woofers and full range speakers!

Like Us on facebookREW
Go Back   Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com > Manufactured Speakers | Subwoofers > Home Audio Speakers
Forgot Password?
Donations Reviews Vendors

Reply     Post New Thread
Views: 17493 - Replies: 6  
Old 03-19-08, 06:37 PM   #1

Rex
Since: Mar 2008
I started this thread.
Question Speakers And Room Size

Is there a table or method for figuring the optimum speaker characteristics by room size? My HT room will be 17'X15'. Don't want to get too large of speakers and it be overpowered or wasted wattage, don't want to get too small of speakers and it be wimpy.

thanks

Forum Rules Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-08, 08:47 PM   #2

superchad
ohio
Re: Speakers And Room Size

First I would say post a budget, and what you like in speakers (small,large, stand mount or floor model and so on) unless I missed that.

You could get may speakers of various size in your room from smaller bookshelf or monitor speakers to large box full range models and perhaps even Planar or Electrostatic options but there are things people need to know before any valid help can be given, Many times people will suggest Mini monitors in a smaller room, yours is not small but certainly not large, Placing a mid sized full or near full range speaker is certainly the route I would take for mains and center.
It is my semi-educated opinion that people will judge a speaker as too large far more often than is really needed, it all boils down to what you want out of your system, the rooms accoustics and the all important issue of you and your wife/partners wishes as far as what looks good. My room is 14X24 and I have very large speakers but I play large scale Classical, Heavy Metal and Rock in a music first Theater application so a monitor wont work for me plus I can place my speakers 4 feet from backwall and 3 from side walls with no wife issues, many folks cant do that for various reasons so size is not a big issue for guys like me but many speakers are really just a monitor stacked on a sub enclosure giving you the best of both worlds as moniotrs have strengths that larger coffin speakers cant match........there is no one size fits all solution.....but hopefully the more info you provide the more help folks can offer

Old 03-19-08, 09:05 PM   #3
Elite Shackster

David
Since: Oct 2006
Fontana, CA

I agree with Superchad ...

You also need to tell if this will be for HT only; or will you use it for music too???

Are you planning on getting a Sub, or Do you have one already???

What system do you have 5.1, 6.1 or 7.1 ???

Are you planning to use the same receiver (What model???) or getting a new one???

Budget is very important ... Do you want to spend $300, $2,000, $ 10,000 ???

Any brand in particular???

What do yo expect to get from speakers??? ... I started with an Infinity TSS750 (very small speakers, sound good but frequency response is 120Hz to 20Khz; usually your crossover is set at 80Hz which I couldn't do it with this speakers), currently I'm using JBL Stadiums and Polk M10 which work better than the TSS750 ...

Old 03-20-08, 05:34 PM   #4

Rex
I started this thread.

Thanks for the suggestions.

1. I plan on making the speaker set-up as minimally intrusive as possible, nothing on the floor or protruding. The wall where the TV will go is actually one side of an empty walk-in closet so I have plenty of space to run cable/wires, inset the TV, mains, center and sub(s). I will have to build bulkheads about 1.5'X1.5' square along the length of the two side walls where the walls meet the ceiling. There's an A/C vent recently put in and to make it symetrical the bulkheads are necessary. The bulkheads can house side and rear speakers. The back wall opens out to a hot tub and since those doors are glass I'll probably build another bulkhead that will house remote controlled blinds and a rear center channel speaker.

2. The room will be for HT only

3. I've always been partial to Klipsch. Got an old pair of Forte's and they are as sweet today as they were 20 years ago new.

4. I don't have any components for HT. I studied a lot of brands some years ago and was drawn to Denons products. I recently looked at their site and I don't recognize anything anymore but they did have this A/V Receiver selector and for the variables I input it spit out the AVR-2308CI and AVR-888 as being compatible for my needs. Just to mention, I don't need multi-zone or networking. My TV however will be 1080p plasma. I also have a lot of DVDs so would upscaling be a feature to look for or maybe let the DVD player do the upscaling (if possible)?

5. Budget: Well, I can't hear a cricket fart so I'm not real concerned about audiophile level of quality. I'd like to see what I could do with 5k.

thanks

Last edited by Sybaris; 03-20-08 at 06:23 PM..

Old 03-20-08, 07:45 PM   #5
Elite Shackster
Platinum Supporter

Tony
Since: Sep 2007
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
My System

There really is no set rule for how big or how much wattage speakers need to be for a certain room size.
The more important thing is get the best your budget will allow. Paring up a good receiver and speakers is always a good choice. There are bookshelves that sound just as good as some towers but thy will cost more. Generally staying away from speakers that are not solid meaning they don't weigh much and the cabinets are flimsy is a good rule just for starters.
There are so many different receivers out there that its hard to say what is good and what is junk but generally the low priced ones for all the brands will have lower build quality and performance. I know that there will be someone on here that will disagree with this but stay away from Sony receivers with the exception of the ES line. Yamaha has some nice receivers once you get into the $400 and above range as do Denon, Onkyo, and Pioneer.
Speaker manufactures like Polk, B&W, Martian Logan, Mission, SVS, and so many more that others will be sure to mention have some great choices. Wattage is a relatively meaningless term because it totaly depends on how the company does the rating as there is no real standard. The more important thing to consider is frequency response at a certain db level and the efficiency of the speaker its self plus its all about what YOU like, let your own ears make the decision.

For 5k you can get into some nice stuff. just for example,
Onkyo TX SR875 for $1100
Panasonic DMP BD30kBluRay DVD player Also a great SD DVD player. $500
SVS MTS-01 speaker System including sub

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
EV Sentry 500 monitors, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, Klipsch RC-52 Centre, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE4000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

Last edited by tonyvdb; 03-20-08 at 07:54 PM..

Old 03-20-08, 08:22 PM   #6
Elite Shackster

David
Since: Oct 2006
Fontana, CA

Take a look at this threads ... I like what they did to hide the speakers behind/inside the stage; Do you know what I mean??? ... you can do the same since you will be building a bulkhead where your TV will be installed,

http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...ld-thread.html

http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...on-thread.html

http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...e-theatre.html

Old 03-23-08, 12:04 AM   #7

superchad
ohio

Quote:
Sybaris wrote: View Post
Thanks for the suggestions.

1. I plan on making the speaker set-up as minimally intrusive as possible, nothing on the floor or protruding. The wall where the TV will go is actually one side of an empty walk-in closet so I have plenty of space to run cable/wires, inset the TV, mains, center and sub(s). I will have to build bulkheads about 1.5'X1.5' square along the length of the two side walls where the walls meet the ceiling. There's an A/C vent recently put in and to make it symetrical the bulkheads are necessary. The bulkheads can house side and rear speakers. The back wall opens out to a hot tub and since those doors are glass I'll probably build another bulkhead that will house remote controlled blinds and a rear center channel speaker.

thanks

Man sorry to say but in your first paragraph you are already off to a potentially bad start and a more expensive one to get correct while wall speakers and easy to hide models can work the are difficult and almost always a huge compromise i sound re-production. For surrounds this can be easier to make workable but for mains and center I would really make sure you know how to do this or have ability to pay to get it right, ofcourse this all depends on what you expect or demand the sound to be.
Klipsch makes some pretty good speakers for HT as they are generally very efficient (something you want to really pay attention to and strive for so a reciever can easily drive them and as far as Denon you cant go wrong.
..cheers

Reply     Post New Thread     Back to Top of Page

Check out the Woot product for today!   Musicians Friend: Your one stop shop for microphones, mic amps and Behringer products.   Cmple   Monoprice Electronics   Amazon   Velodyne

Parts Express: Excellent Source for DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Projects!   Onkyo   GIK Acoustics: Home audio acoustics at its best... especially when you have help from the owners right here at the Shack!  Check out their very affordable acoustic panels!   Nyrius   Aperion Audio   Axiom Audio

« Home Theater Shack > Manufactured Speakers | Subwoofers > Home Audio Speakers »

« Previous Thread   Next Thread »