Crossovers.. - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 42 Old 03-26-15, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Rudy

My System
Question Crossovers..

Hi.
I have 2 TSI 400's, TSx center, 2 PSW 110's, 2 polk surrounds and 2 Onkyo rears. All running on a Sony str-dn1040. I need recommendations for the crossover on all my speakers. I have them all on small and I have the subs on 80, the fronts on 80, center on 80 or 100, and the the four surrounds on 80 i think. what should they be on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old 03-26-15, 12:07 PM
Senior Shackster

My System
Re: Crossovers..

Mains at 80Hz is good.

What are the model numbers of your CC speaker and surround speakers?

What do you mean by "I have set the subs on 80"?
- If you mean the "crossover" (LPF) controls on the backs of the subs themselves, max them out (to effectively disable them) and let the AVR handle bass management.
- If you mean the LPF of LFE in the receiver, set it to 120Hz. (It has nothing to do with the speaker-channel crossover settings.)

-- Edit --
If the CC speaker is the TSx250C, 80Hz is good there, too.
post #3 of 42 Old 03-26-15, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Rudy

My System

Yes. I meant the LFE in the AVR. i have it on 80 crossover. So I should have it on 120. Can you please explain why and th difference it would make. thx

The center is a CS80. The Onkyo surrounds I honestly do not know. Im at work.
post #4 of 42 Old 03-26-15, 01:38 PM
Senior Shackster

My System

Quote:
Legendary70 wrote: View Post
Yes. I meant the LFE in the AVR. i have it on 80 crossover. So I should have it on 120. Can you please explain why and th difference it would make.
My understanding is that although there is relatively little content in the LFE channel above 80Hz, it's spec'd for 0-120Hz. So, for that reason alone - the off-chance that there will be content in the LFE channel between 80 and 120Hz - I'd leave it at 120Hz (otherwise, you'd filter that content out).

Quote:
The center is a CS80.
Oh, okay. You wrote "TSx center" in your OP, which is why I thought it was the TSx250C. Anyway, I googled "Polk CS80" but I don't get any results. Can't help you there.

Quote:
The Onkyo surrounds I honestly do not know. Im at work.
If the Onkyo speakers are smaller satellites, try 120-160Hz and go with the setting that sounds best to you.
post #5 of 42 Old 03-26-15, 01:43 PM
Elite Shackster

My System
Quote:
Legendary70 wrote: View Post
Yes. I meant the LFE in the AVR. i have it on 80 crossover. So I should have it on 120. Can you please explain why and th difference it would make. thx The center is a CS80. The Onkyo surrounds I honestly do not know. Im at work.
LFE in the avr refers only to the.1 in a 5/7.1 channel soundtrack. The content in that channel(.1) is from 3-120hz so you want to set it to 120 to use all the information. Regular XO points only tell the AVR at what point to send bass to the subwoofer from the regular channels. Crossover points and LPF of the LFE will not effect each other. Since music doesn't have a separate.1 channel, where you set the LPF won't effect music playback. Hope that helps.
post #6 of 42 Old 03-26-15, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Rudy

My System

awesome explanations. thx for all the feedback. here is a little more information.

ok. the model number for the surrounds are TSi 100's. The Onkyo rears I honestly do not know off hand.

I am setting the crossover for the speakers and the sub from the AVR. I have the subs at 80. I was told on another site to put them on 120. so i am a little confused on what I should put them on and why?

I initially did the audyssey set up when I first bought the AVR but I do not remember the settings it gave me. since then I have put the fronts on 80 and the levels at +8.0. center at 80 and level at +8.5. the surrounds at 80 and levels at +9.5. same for the rears. the subs are at 80 and level at +6.0. Ideas?

i was also told to try to put the fronts on 70. thx.

The center i was wrong then. OK the first polk center I bought along with the fronts was a CS10. then a few months later I bought the one i am using now which was the next model up from the cs10. I am thinking it is the cs2 series 2.....but not sure.
post #7 of 42 Old 03-26-15, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Rudy

My System

here is a pick of the subs location

post #8 of 42 Old 03-26-15, 03:03 PM
Elite Shackster

My System
The "other" site was correct to set the knob on the sub at its highest level. The idea is to bypass the subs internal crossover and use the avr for bass management. Some subs have a switch for this, some do this automatically when you use the "LFE" input, and some just need the switch all the way up.
post #9 of 42 Old 03-26-15, 03:06 PM
Elite Shackster

My System
Dig the white ps4...
post #10 of 42 Old 03-26-15, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Rudy

My System

Quote:
willis7469 wrote: View Post
Dig the white ps4...
hahah. thx.

hey willis how can i be sure that if I put the knob all the way on my subs.......the AVR will take over....and i dont blow them?

it also has a phase switch. I have one on 0 and the other sub is on the opposite of 0 which i think is 160?