$10k upgrade budget - Page 3 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

2Likes

post #21 of 37 Old 02-21-16, 07:51 AM
Elite Shackster

Brandon

My System
Quote:
willis7469 wrote: View Post
I went to audition some Triton 1's today at my nearest dealer, one hour away. Found out when I got there they are appointment only! Doh... Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What? That stinks not sure I would bother going there again. Did they say why? It seems pretty easy to set up a pair of speakers in a showroom setting where they should be and hopefully doing it often if they want to be in business. You got the upgrade bug?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 37 Old 02-21-16, 09:55 AM
Senior Shackster

Re: $10k upgrade budget

I recommend you keep your SVS L-C-R speakers and add SVS Prime or Ultra bookshelfs for your surrounds. Then add 4 more SVS book shelfs as front and rear height channels for an all immersive theater. Get a Marantz 7710 receiver with the Auro 3D and DTS-X firmware upgrades and you will be happy. Once you hear an immersive setup you will not want to go back to 7.0. SVS makes fine speakers, no need to dump your L-C-R channels unless they don't suit your taste. Talk to SVS to see which bookshelf is the better match.

I just noticed that SVS announced a new speaker the Prime Elevation speaker. You may want to consider 4 of those for your height channels instead of bookshelves.

http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...es-2016-a.html
3dbinCanada likes this.

Last edited by witchdoctor; 02-21-16 at 11:34 AM.
post #23 of 37 Old 02-21-16, 12:54 PM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Jim

My System

Quote:
willis7469 wrote: View Post
I went to audition some Triton 1's today at my nearest dealer, one hour away. Found out when I got there they are appointment only! Doh...
So you're standing there in the showroom and they choose to have you walk away without an audition? An appointment for something like that is ridiculous in the first place, but then letting a potential customer walk away boggles the mind.

-Jim

If you take yourself too seriously, expect me to do the exact opposite
post #24 of 37 Old 02-21-16, 02:40 PM
Elite Shackster

My System

Quote:
theJman wrote: View Post
So you're standing there in the showroom and they choose to have you walk away without an audition? An appointment for something like that is ridiculous in the first place, but then letting a potential customer walk away boggles the mind.

Lol! I wish that were the case. Then I could have delivered a piece of my mind directly to the ear balls of a real person. What happened was, I found them online and since we visit this city regularly, I thought I'd seize an opportunity. I didn't realize they ONLY operate by appt. Seems unusual to me, but now I know I'll have to go farther. This was a big let down. Makes it easier to not sit and pine for them though! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #25 of 37 Old 02-21-16, 03:16 PM
Elite Shackster

My System

Quote:
B- one wrote: View Post
What? That stinks not sure I would bother going there again. Did they say why? It seems pretty easy to set up a pair of speakers in a showroom setting where they should be and hopefully doing it often if they want to be in business. You got the upgrade bug?

It seems I'm the one in error. However, I will not be calling them in the future.
And yes, I've been bitten by the upgrade bug. Bad!!! Tax season has me dreaming about upgrades, but I'm actually going to start with my subs. They'll be cheaper to upgrade, and I'll probably get to do them sooner. (Whisper...dual fv15hp...) I'd like to do a complete overhaul, but that's just not going to happen at once. Congrats again on your upgrade! Used you've been busy with it!

post #26 of 37 Old 02-21-16, 03:33 PM
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System

You definitely need to checkout the Tritons... I've heard them on several occasions.

WOW.
post #27 of 37 Old 02-21-16, 04:05 PM
Elite Shackster

My System

Quote:
Todd Anderson wrote: View Post
You definitely need to checkout the Tritons... I've heard them on several occasions.

WOW.

Todd, I can't wait to get my ears on some. Back to OT I guess...

post #28 of 37 Old 02-21-16, 09:26 PM
Elite Shackster
Charlie

My System
There are several small dealers around here that operate by appointment only.
Unless they have an appointment scheduled they are not open.
An answering service takes calls for appointments.
I went to one and while it is probably unfair to judge all others by the experience, I won't ever do it again.
I know living in the suburbs of Dallas gives me more options to audition different equipment than many have, but when access to gear is limited business failure becomes a self fulfilling sequence of events.
post #29 of 37 Old 02-22-16, 11:48 AM
Senior Shackster

Dwight

You really need to audition the Golden Ear Triton Ones. I have the T1's. They are outstanding for both Home Theater & 2 channel music.

Best speakers I have owned to date.

Mains- Goldenear Triton One's
Center Channel- Goldenear Super Centre XL
Surrounds- Goldenear SuperSat 50's
Back Surrounds- Goldenear SuperSat 50c's
Atmos -Goldenear HTR 7000's
Amps- Bryston 4Bsst2/Emotiva XPA-5/Marantz M7025
Processor-Marantz AV7703 Preamp
Projector- Sony VPL-HW55ES
Screen- Elunevision 140 inch 4K Audio Weave
Bluray/Universal player-OPPO 105D
post #30 of 37 Old 02-28-16, 12:38 PM
Shackster

Quote:
Rhuarc wrote: View Post
Ok, not trying to completely shift the OP, but if I could drum up the cash, would getting B&W 803's for LCR, and 805's for surrounds be an enormous difference between a set of 10-15K speakers? That would run me aroun $37k, just with a quick price search
If you are able to swing that purchase, you need to immediately drive to the airport, buy a ticket to Knoxville TN. I'll pick you up at the airport and you can jam until your heart is content on some horn speakers.

I am utterly convinced you will love it and if so, you can put a mix of parts together and build a system with huge dynamics that will stomp those B&W's into the ground. You will also have enough cash left over from the money saved to more than pay for your ticket.

Presuming you have the space

Budget route: Buy however many Klipsch LaScalas you want/need. Dump/sell everything but the woofer. Buy a Klipsch K402 for the front 3 mains and the smaller K510 for everything else (unless you have the space) Buy a horn loaded subwoofer and call it a day.

I've heard a similar system in Indianapolis and it really has to be heard/felt to be believed. Dynamics out the wazoo, crystal clear and you don't need to spend a million dollars on fancy electronics!

Cost no object route: Buy some Klipsch Jubilee's for at least the front 3. Can buy more for surrounds as needed or, swap out for the JubeScala as described above.

2-way speakers are going to give some coherence that a 3-4 way speaker won't. 2" treble horns are going to lower distortion at any sane level you choose to listen. Horn loaded woofers are going to give incredible dynamics and lower distortion when compared to a direct/radiator style.

By the way, that was vague so I'll be more clear.... if you are intrigued at all, you are welcome to come to Knoxville and hear the parts described above. If I'm right, you will have saved a ton of money and vastly upgraded the potential of your system. I'll let you buy dinner on the way back to the airport. If I'm wrong and you don't like it, then I'll buy YOU dinner on way back to airport!