$10k upgrade budget - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

 2Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 Old 02-15-16, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Andrew
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Morton, IL
Posts: 172
$10k upgrade budget

I have the upgrade itch and I got it bad...

I currently have SVS MTS-01's for my LCR with some cheapo polks for surrounds. Everything is powered by Emotiva amps. The LCR each have XPA-100's on them. I have two XPA-5's for surrounds and future atmos speakers. I have pieced this together over the years and have recently gotten a nice budget to upgrade.

So, right now I'm looking for enough speakers to fill out a 7.0 setup (I have the subs taken care of already, no concern about the low end). I would like to stick around $10k for the 7.0 speakers, if I needed to upgrade my XPA-100's to say the XPA-1's for the LCR, I could swing that, if the speakers needed/justified it.

It will be used for 95% movies in a dedicated 18x25 space, which will be acoustically treated in the near future.

Honestly, I could be talked into more, with very little effort, but would like to try to stay around $10k.

Last edited by Rhuarc; 02-15-16 at 08:08 PM.
Rhuarc is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 37 Old 02-15-16, 08:05 PM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer
 
theJman's Avatar
Jim
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: New Joisey
Posts: 2,985
My System
Re: $10k upgrade budget

Could the MTS-01 be the old SVS speakers? You don't specify but IIRC those were a model offered by SVS. Either way...

Since you have a rather health budget to work with, what about some custom speakers from the renown Funk Audio? Nathan Funk is able to create pretty much anything you can image - and with a level of craftsmanship few are able to match - so it might be worth exploring something along those lines. His website only hints as what he can do, so if you have something particular in mind you should give him a call.

-Jim

If you take yourself too seriously, expect me to do the exact opposite
theJman is offline  
post #3 of 37 Old 02-15-16, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Andrew
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Morton, IL
Posts: 172
Yes, sorry they are from SVS, I corrected the OP. I'll check out Funk!
Rhuarc is offline  
 
post #4 of 37 Old 02-15-16, 08:45 PM
Shackster
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Edmonton AB
Posts: 25
My System
Re: $10k upgrade budget

With that kind of budget, Martin Logan would be worth looking at:

L/R - Motion 60XT
Centre - 50XT
Surround - 35XT

That would leave some change to put towards the Atmos speakers. 4 wall mounted Motion 2s or 4s wouldn't push you too far over your original budget.
KevinJSteward is offline  
post #5 of 37 Old 02-15-16, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Andrew
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Morton, IL
Posts: 172
Re: $10k upgrade budget

Ok, not trying to completely shift the OP, but if I could drum up the cash, would getting B&W 803's for LCR, and 805's for surrounds be an enormous difference between a set of 10-15K speakers? That would run me aroun $37k, just with a quick price search. Sorry, if this is a blatantly stupid question, but I'm trying to decide if I can justify the cost, mainly to myself.
Rhuarc is offline  
post #6 of 37 Old 02-15-16, 10:12 PM
Elite Shackster
Charlie
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 2,539
My System
Quote:
Rhuarc wrote: View Post
I have the upgrade itch and I got it bad... I currently have SVS MTS-01's for my LCR with some cheapo polks for surrounds. Everything is powered by Emotiva amps. The LCR each have XPA-100's on them. I have two XPA-5's for surrounds and future atmos speakers. I have pieced this together over the years and have recently gotten a nice budget to upgrade. So, right now I'm looking for enough speakers to fill out a 7.0 setup (I have the subs taken care of already, no concern about the low end). I would like to stick around $10k for the 7.0 speakers, if I needed to upgrade my XPA-100's to say the XPA-1's for the LCR, I could swing that, if the speakers needed/justified it. It will be used for 95% movies in a dedicated 18x25 space, which will be acoustically treated in the near future. Honestly, I could be talked into more, with very little effort, but would like to try to stay around $10k.
I know you said you didn't need subs but they are free in this deal so you could flip them or gift them to needy friends / relatives...... http://www.acousticsounddesign.com/c...pid=9020&sc=27
You would still have lots of cash for other toys.
chashint is offline  
post #7 of 37 Old 02-15-16, 10:33 PM
Elite Shackster
Charlie
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 2,539
My System
Quote:
Rhuarc wrote: View Post
Ok, not trying to completely shift the OP, but if I could drum up the cash, would getting B&W 803's for LCR, and 805's for surrounds be an enormous difference between a set of 10-15K speakers? That would run me aroun $37k, just with a quick price search. Sorry, if this is a blatantly stupid question, but I'm trying to decide if I can justify the cost, mainly to myself.
Ok, just for the record I love B&W 800 series speakers.
Are they worth the money?
Well if you have plenty of money I would say yes, but if there are other needs / desires that will be affected by dropping that kind of coin on speakers then I would have to really think hard and long about where / how to disperse the resources.
The speakers I linked to in the post above are very good home theater speakers and they are dirt cheap when you are talking about spending $15k or $37k.
But if the prestige of owning speakers like B&W or Sonus Faber is meaningful the Klipsch speakers are not going to fill that part of the deal.
In the end you really have to go out and listen to the speakers to decide if the difference in sound is worth it to you.
chashint is offline  
post #8 of 37 Old 02-15-16, 10:36 PM
Elite Shackster
Charlie
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 2,539
My System
Quote:
KevinJSteward wrote: View Post
With that kind of budget, Martin Logan would be worth looking at: L/R - Motion 60XT Centre - 50XT Surround - 35XT That would leave some change to put towards the Atmos speakers. 4 wall mounted Motion 2s or 4s wouldn't push you too far over your original budget.
I like this recommendation too.
chashint is offline  
post #9 of 37 Old 02-15-16, 10:41 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Andrew
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Morton, IL
Posts: 172
I appreciate the input! Honestly, I could swing the B&Ws, I'm going to find a local dealer and just go listen.
witchdoctor likes this.
Rhuarc is offline  
post #10 of 37 Old 02-15-16, 10:48 PM
Elite Shackster
 
willis7469's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: minnesota
Posts: 3,842
My System
Re: $10k upgrade budget

http://www.goldenear.com/
http://www.paradigm.com/


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
willis7469 is online now  
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
$10k , budget , upgrade

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now




PLEASE COMPLETE ALL REQUIRED FIELDS BELOW... THANKS!

REQUIRED FIELDS ON THIS PAGE
YOU MUST COMPLETE ALL OF THESE

Username
Password
Confirm Password
Email Address
Confirm Email Address
Random Question
Random Question #2




User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
PLEASE READ BELOW PRIOR TO ENTERING AN EMAIL ADDRESS!

ATTENTION!

YOU MUST ACTIVATE YOUR ACCOUNT!

Activation requires you reply to an email we will send you after you register... if you do not reply to this email, you will not be able to view certain areas of the forum or certain images... nor will you be able download software.

AN INVALID EMAIL ADDRESS WILL CAUSE YOUR ACCOUNT TO BE DELETED!

See our banned email list here: Banned Email List

We DO NOT respond to spamcop, boxtrapper and spamblocker emails... please add @hometheatershack DOT com to your whitelist prior to registering or you will get nowhere on your registration.


Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML is not allowed!
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 


For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome