$10k upgrade budget - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

2Likes

post #1 of 37 Old 02-15-16, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Andrew

$10k upgrade budget

I have the upgrade itch and I got it bad...

I currently have SVS MTS-01's for my LCR with some cheapo polks for surrounds. Everything is powered by Emotiva amps. The LCR each have XPA-100's on them. I have two XPA-5's for surrounds and future atmos speakers. I have pieced this together over the years and have recently gotten a nice budget to upgrade.

So, right now I'm looking for enough speakers to fill out a 7.0 setup (I have the subs taken care of already, no concern about the low end). I would like to stick around $10k for the 7.0 speakers, if I needed to upgrade my XPA-100's to say the XPA-1's for the LCR, I could swing that, if the speakers needed/justified it.

It will be used for 95% movies in a dedicated 18x25 space, which will be acoustically treated in the near future.

Honestly, I could be talked into more, with very little effort, but would like to try to stay around $10k.

Last edited by Rhuarc; 02-15-16 at 08:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 02-15-16, 08:05 PM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Jim

My System
Re: $10k upgrade budget

Could the MTS-01 be the old SVS speakers? You don't specify but IIRC those were a model offered by SVS. Either way...

Since you have a rather health budget to work with, what about some custom speakers from the renown Funk Audio? Nathan Funk is able to create pretty much anything you can image - and with a level of craftsmanship few are able to match - so it might be worth exploring something along those lines. His website only hints as what he can do, so if you have something particular in mind you should give him a call.

-Jim

If you take yourself too seriously, expect me to do the exact opposite
post #3 of 37 Old 02-15-16, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Andrew

Yes, sorry they are from SVS, I corrected the OP. I'll check out Funk!

post #4 of 37 Old 02-15-16, 08:45 PM
Shackster

My System

With that kind of budget, Martin Logan would be worth looking at:

L/R - Motion 60XT
Centre - 50XT
Surround - 35XT

That would leave some change to put towards the Atmos speakers. 4 wall mounted Motion 2s or 4s wouldn't push you too far over your original budget.
post #5 of 37 Old 02-15-16, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Andrew

Ok, not trying to completely shift the OP, but if I could drum up the cash, would getting B&W 803's for LCR, and 805's for surrounds be an enormous difference between a set of 10-15K speakers? That would run me aroun $37k, just with a quick price search. Sorry, if this is a blatantly stupid question, but I'm trying to decide if I can justify the cost, mainly to myself.
post #6 of 37 Old 02-15-16, 10:12 PM
Elite Shackster
Charlie

My System
Quote:
Rhuarc wrote: View Post
I have the upgrade itch and I got it bad... I currently have SVS MTS-01's for my LCR with some cheapo polks for surrounds. Everything is powered by Emotiva amps. The LCR each have XPA-100's on them. I have two XPA-5's for surrounds and future atmos speakers. I have pieced this together over the years and have recently gotten a nice budget to upgrade. So, right now I'm looking for enough speakers to fill out a 7.0 setup (I have the subs taken care of already, no concern about the low end). I would like to stick around $10k for the 7.0 speakers, if I needed to upgrade my XPA-100's to say the XPA-1's for the LCR, I could swing that, if the speakers needed/justified it. It will be used for 95% movies in a dedicated 18x25 space, which will be acoustically treated in the near future. Honestly, I could be talked into more, with very little effort, but would like to try to stay around $10k.
I know you said you didn't need subs but they are free in this deal so you could flip them or gift them to needy friends / relatives...... http://www.acousticsounddesign.com/c...pid=9020&sc=27
You would still have lots of cash for other toys.
post #7 of 37 Old 02-15-16, 10:33 PM
Elite Shackster
Charlie

My System
Quote:
Rhuarc wrote: View Post
Ok, not trying to completely shift the OP, but if I could drum up the cash, would getting B&W 803's for LCR, and 805's for surrounds be an enormous difference between a set of 10-15K speakers? That would run me aroun $37k, just with a quick price search. Sorry, if this is a blatantly stupid question, but I'm trying to decide if I can justify the cost, mainly to myself.
Ok, just for the record I love B&W 800 series speakers.
Are they worth the money?
Well if you have plenty of money I would say yes, but if there are other needs / desires that will be affected by dropping that kind of coin on speakers then I would have to really think hard and long about where / how to disperse the resources.
The speakers I linked to in the post above are very good home theater speakers and they are dirt cheap when you are talking about spending $15k or $37k.
But if the prestige of owning speakers like B&W or Sonus Faber is meaningful the Klipsch speakers are not going to fill that part of the deal.
In the end you really have to go out and listen to the speakers to decide if the difference in sound is worth it to you.
post #8 of 37 Old 02-15-16, 10:36 PM
Elite Shackster
Charlie

My System
Quote:
KevinJSteward wrote: View Post
With that kind of budget, Martin Logan would be worth looking at: L/R - Motion 60XT Centre - 50XT Surround - 35XT That would leave some change to put towards the Atmos speakers. 4 wall mounted Motion 2s or 4s wouldn't push you too far over your original budget.
I like this recommendation too.
post #9 of 37 Old 02-15-16, 10:41 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Andrew

I appreciate the input! Honestly, I could swing the B&Ws, I'm going to find a local dealer and just go listen.
witchdoctor likes this.
post #10 of 37 Old 02-15-16, 10:48 PM
Elite Shackster

My System

http://www.goldenear.com/
http://www.paradigm.com/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk