Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Streem Speakers ??

Tags
streem
27K views 94 replies 24 participants last post by  tonyvdb 
#1 ·
I was on ebay Saturday afternoon & came across these speakers, checked seller feedback & it
came back good, so I decided to do a little more digging via Google.
I came up with the website I read all the customer reviews & COULD NOT
find one negative comment any where relating to price, quality, sound & customer service. Now, I
don't if the reviews were made up by professional review ? writers or not, but to say the least, I'm
intrigued & impressed by what I saw & read. These speakers can be 1 of 2 things, either a very
well orchestrated scam, or a very good product from a young & upcoming company; myself, I'm
choosing to belive a very good product.
I'm wondering & asking if anyone here at the forum has used these speakers or has any
additional info or comments they may want to share.
The system I've got my eyes on that I really like is the HT335.
All comments welcome & appreciated.

Thanks,
Alfred agpintexas

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Eh. Another huge line of fundamentally uninteresting designs. There are no professional reviews in the batch but that does not mean this is a scam. I am more concerned with the lack of useful specs and almost silly listing of "design features." Tread carefully.

Kal

#3 · (Edited)
I agree with Kal, people who buy thes sorts of speakers are usualy misinformed and looking for a good deal however this deal is "to good to be true" will they produce sound? I would think so, but good sound? I highly doubt.
The reviews are generally from people who have never heard a good speaker in there life and wouldn't know the difference as they are the same group of people who record all their CDs to mp3's at 128kbs and think thats just the best.

#4 ·
I would pay careful attention to Kal, he has been around a long time and has seen these things come and go. I would look elsewhere. Have fun. Dennis

#5 ·
Alfred,
Until your post, I'd never heard of Streem speakers. I did extensive research before buying speakers for my Home Theater. I take the dirth of information as a red flag. I suggest you stick with well known a professionally reviewed speakers, especially if you can't audition them before purchase.

Doug

#6 · (Edited)
Alfred,

I'd suggest you google the term "white van speakers" It looks like Streem is one of those brands. Interesting to see it branch out onto ebay (which I don't follow), but not really surprising.

Everyone: I don't see a specific thread, sticky, or FAQ around here which discusses this issue. Could maybe some information be added to the Speaker Buying Advice sticky?

As has been said above, tread carefully.

[edit] P.S. Thinking about it, one thought that came to mind is, "Ebay does not equal Internet Direct." [/edit]

#7 ·
You know, I would be really curious as to what they do sound like and the build quality. If I had the money to just throw away I would even consider buying a pair and taking them apart to see how they are built and post a review (most likely a really bad review) but it could be a fun experiment:dumbcrazy:.

#8 ·
Note: This is NOT speaking about Streem speakers - I have no first-hand knowledge of them. But I have personally seen a set of Dogg Digital speakers someone I knew had bought off a white van, I have been hit up a couple of times by white vans in parking lots, and some white van speakers have been taken apart by others.

In general, the enclosures were dirt cheap; either no or very simple crossovers; and very low cost drivers. It's not that they were worth nothing, but that their MSRP was totally fabricated, and then they are offered at some wildly discounted price. They will put out sound. And maybe you can talk them down to almost nothing (close to what they go for at wholesale) at which time they are an OK buy.

In any case, buying them off ebay would seem like a waste. At least if you buy them in a parking lot, you get the "white van experience" for some of your purchase price. The couple of times I've been hit up, once the speakers were "overstock" that their manager told them to get rid of, and the other time they were returns. They''ll usually have the invoice and everything backing up the price. And you can see how many times you can get them to reduce the price if you're bored.

Basically, White Van speakers are NOT an urban legend.

Enjoy, but take care.

P.S. Here's a link to the Wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_van_speakers. And the list of names they're usually sold under makes for a fun read as well when they aren't obsolutly counterfiting a known name.

#9 ·
Alfred,

Surprised you haven't spoken up again. :scratchhead:

Don't be embarassed if you hadn't heard about white van speakers before. These kinds of posts are how the information gets propagated and we help each other avoid that kind of ripoff.

If you're seriously in the market to buy speakers, people around here are willing to provide all kinds of help and opinions.

If you were only trying to hype the speakers, then thanks for the opportunity to remind others who might not have known about it. :wave:

enjoy.

#11 ·
Well, I don't really know what to think right now; I've heard of the white van scam, but in
different scenarios & I sure wouldn't buy a speaker with a name like doggie digital or whatever,
cause that kinda sounds like something else associated with dogs, but hey I'm gonna keep it
clean here.
I just have a gut feeling that Streem is a young legitmate outfit getting started & I'm not really
that good with specs & numbers. Has anyone here gone to the website & looked at the specs &
descriptions, before starting the bashfest & let me say also I have ABSOLUTELY NO stake in this
company; I looked at the product & it does have some appeal to me, but that doesn't
necessarily mean that I'll buy it without doing some more looking & trying to stay within my budget.
I always go by the old saying, don't judge the book by the cover.
You also mentioned the Yambeka ?? speakers; I'll look at them, but this does sound like a
white van thing & like someone could be trying to play Yamaha's name.
Anyway, shoot over to streemspeakers & take the look at their description & specs & even a few
of the comments; maybe you'll see something I don't which could be beneficial to me.

Thanks,
Alfred

#14 ·
I just have a gut feeling that Streem is a young legitmate outfit getting started & I'm not really that good with specs & numbers. Has anyone here gone to the website & looked at the specs & descriptions, before starting the bashfest .............
That's exactly what I did.

I always go by the old saying, don't judge the book by the cover.
My first wife was in the publishing business and she had a sign on her desk that said, "Anyone who says that you cannot tell a book by its cover never tried to sell books." If it quacks like a duck....................

#12 ·
Yambeka audio is legitimate, Streem speakers have been selling on eBay for at least a year and a half now. Technical pro is another company that sells absolute junk on eBay.
Trust me stay away from them.

#15 ·
Alfred,

I also looked at the website. One thing I noticed that worried me was the lack of address or business license info which could be independently verified or where items could be returned. I sincerely hope you're finding this all helpful.

It is your hard-earned money, and you're absolutely able to spend it how you like. This is just the forum trying to look out for people like you, me, or others. I sincerely hope you're finding this all helpful.

Hey, just before I sign off, I had a thought. One suggestion for a young legitimate outfit getting started based on the writeup about professional reviews in the Streem FAQ. They might look into an online reviewer - someone with a reputation on some forum - and offer them a chance to review the speakers. These guys don't need to have their reviews purchased. There's a lot around here who do it purely for the love of audio. , maybe one of those guys who has money to throw around could decide to purchase a set of Streems and then give us a report on them.

Anyone?

Take care,

#16 ·
maybe one of those guys who has money to throw around could decide to purchase a set of Streems and then give us a report on them.
Maybe Streem could make arrangements to have a set of their speakers reviewed for an honest independent evaluation like Yambeka did. That would go a long ways towards gaining credibility.

#17 ·
Hello,
I'm no expert here, but I DID get the chance to demo a set of these speakers. There was an add on Portland Craigslist to was too good to ignore which included a Sony BD player (their BDP-S300), Onkyo TX-SR806, a full HT-808E set of 7.1 streem speakers and a cheap Yamaha sub (YSTSW12) all for $900. I was a little dissapointed to find such a great deal right after I had just purchased a complete Onkyo/Polk entry level system approximately 2 weeks prior. I talked the gentleman down to $700 without much effort, so I went to his house for the demo. I was very impressed with his equipment....all as promised. He had the entire 7.1 hooked up for me to hear. The Streem speakers look and feel like they're solidly built....my only problem is my Polk entry level system (Onkyo TX-SR606, Polk Monitor 60's, Monitor 30's, CS-1 & PSW10 sub) sounded much better than what he had for sale. I couldn't bring myself to spend the $700, since I felt like I was only getting the Sony BD & Onkyo receiver for that price. Maybe he had them hooked up wrong...I don't know....they just didn't sound that good to me when I cranked the decibals up. These definitely aren't "white van" speakers, but they don't sound like a quality set of speakers either. Maybe I was just being skeptical. Just my two cents if it helps.

#18 ·
This stuff is not that uncommon. It looks like Chinese made private label speakers. You can buy the speakers direct from the factory and they will put your logo of choice on them. Basically if you tried to make the cheapest DIY towers possible you prob still couldn't make it as cheap as these things. That doesn't mean they sound horrible. I can make some really cheap speakers that don't sound "horrible". You definetly get what you pay for at the end of the day though.

#19 ·
Streem speakers have been around quite a while up here in Canada (I believe that's where they company orginated).

I know this thread is old and dragged up out of the mud, and the OP is probably long gone. These things are cheap as cheap can get. Definitely white van material. They don't sound terrible and if you ever wanted to take a speaker apart, this is one speaker you could and not worry about putting it back together again LOL

Anyway, if you're on a really tight budget and looking for something to get you by over the next year or two, then there's nothing wrong with them. I wouldn't be bragging about them to my friends though

#20 ·
Old thread I know, but I'm a new poster. I actually am a former Streem speaker owner. Decent build. They play loud enough, but I quickly tired of them. I have a pair of Axiom M 60's now and can tell you the difference in sound is exponentially better. I sold them to a friend who has no use for good speakers and he is perfectly satisfied with them. Anyone really needing a good speaker should pass on these.

#22 ·
Hello,
Ben, congratulations on your new Speakers. I hope they bring you many years of sonic joy and look forward the reading your findings.
Cheers,
JJ

#23 ·
Welcome Ben, be sure to post in the new members section. Have fun. Dennis

#25 ·
I was looking at Infinity, PC350 center, P362 Primus towers, and P162 surrounds. As well as Polk, TSi A4 towers, CSi A4 center, and RM8 surrounds. But for the price I just couldn't beat the Streems specs hopefully they'll be all they are made out to be. Two more days and man I can't wait.

#26 ·
Most times you do get what you pay for. I wouldn't be too optimistic. Good thing they have a 30-day money back guarantee. Sorry, but for the price I can think of more known quality speakers (system including a subwoofer) to consider.

#28 ·
There are no firm rules on specifications so companies that are a little suspect can post almost anything they want to just to mislead the consumer. I hope these speakers are what they advertise but dont hold your breath.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.