Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Personal Speaker Evolution Thread

83K views 110 replies 74 participants last post by  Anatolie 
#1 ·
What speakers have you owned since you got started in home audio? What is your speaker evolution?

I am really not sure if I can remember everything I have ever owned... :scratch:

I will forgive my home made speakers that I built when I was 14-15 years old... made out of old kitchen cabinets my parents were going to throw away. The drivers were from some old restaurant box speakers that use to hang on the wall at one of our old eating places... probably 8" full range drivers.

My speaker evolution...

• EPI (1984 ... do not remember model, but I do remember an 8" woofer that kept bottoming out)
  • Infinity (1986 ... had a 12" woofer, but wife complained they were too loud for the single wide trailer we lived in so I had to send them back to Crutchfield - yeah... can you believe that... I gave in to the WAF)
  • Klipsh Forte (1988 - WAF collapsed -also added Klipsh KG1's for surrounds later on)
  • Snell B-Minor / Snell HCC500 Center / Snell SUR500 Surrounds (1991 - our first major home theater system and the longest I have maintained a pair of main speakers)
  • B&W 600 Series i (1994 - still use these in our sun room)
  • PSB Image 6T / 9C / 10S (2001)
  • Klipsch Synergy All-Weather SA-3 (2005 - still in use for outdoors)
  • VMPS RM30 / Dipole Surround SE (2006 - used RM30 for LCR setup)
  • JBL Northridge E90 / EC35 / E10 (2006)
  • SVS SBS-01 System (2006)
  • Boston Acoustics VR2 / VRC / VRX (2006)
  • Ascend Acoustics Sierra 1 / CBM-170 SE (2007 - CBM-170 are surrounds in our great room)
  • Martin Logan Ascent i / Motif / Fresco (2007)
  • Martin Logan Spire / Matinee / Clarity (2009)
  • Martin Logan Prodigy / Theater / Ascent (2009 - home theater room)
  • Carnegie Acoustics CSB-1 / CST-1 (2013 - in the front stage of our great room)
  • Arx A5 (2013 - two channel system within my home theater room)

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Cool idea. I will play

I first started out with Cambridge Soundworks. I went a little crazy with their old upgrade policy...You could upgrade without any restrictions (They eventually changed their policy because of me...yikes, what can I say, I was young)

Cambridge Soundworks Ensemble II
Cambridge Soundworks MC200
Cambridge Soundworks MC300
Cambridge Soundworks M50
Cambridge Soundworks M60
Cambridge Soundworks M80
(All of the CSW's were pleasant. Great for the money, but I had more cash to blow...so:spend:)
Polk LSi7 (I liked a lot about them. Didn't feel dynamic enough for theater, could have been amp)
M&K 850 (Too thin for music, awesome for theater)
Monitor Audio GR10 (a little too sibilant for me)
Era Design D4
Era Design D5

Up until the Era's, I changed speakers every 6 months or so...couldn't find what I liked. I have owned the Era's for about 2 years. I am really happy with them. :T

#3 ·
I'll play too.

I started out in '75 with a fancy portable record player with two attached speakers. Not being satisfied with the near-audiophile quality of sound, in '77 I picked up a pair of Advents, dual turntable and pioneer receiver and separate tuner. Sold that to my brother when I wanted to do some traveling and survived with a boom box for the next 10 years or so.

For another bunch of years I lived with boomboxes and micro-stereos until I picked up my current Axiom system 2 years ago.

#4 ·
  • 1998 - I started with a pair of self amplified (5W) computer speakers plugged into my TVs stereo out.
  • 2001 - I bought a Yamaha HTiB which included five NS-AP16 speakers. These have 2" paper "tweeters" and 5" woofers. I still use these for surrounds! The "subwoofer" was a ported box with a 6" driver. The specs claimed that this was a 150W sub, but when I opened it up (to remove toys) I found that the driver was only rated to handle 50W.
  • 2002 - I upgraded my fronts to Polk RTi28 and CSi30.
  • 2003 - I bought my first real subwoofer after an extensive auditioning process. It was the B&W ASW600. I was really unimpressed with all of the ported models I heard at any price. This 10" sealed sub sounded SO much better to me.
  • 2006 - I upgraded my mains to the Dali IKON 6 after an extensive auditioning process. I decided to forgo the center channel at the time, and I never missed it so I never bought one.
  • 2006 - I built my IB subwoofer. Four 18" woofers, the Mach 5 MJ-18s, and an 1800W Carvin Amp. Awesome.
  • 2009 - I auditioned the Linkwitz ORION loudspeakers and became a believer. Absolutely my next (and last?) loudspeakers. Current living room prevents me from having dipoles so my next upgrade will be the most expensive of all: a new house...

#5 ·
Very cool idea!!

My family started out with some Infinity and Boston Acoustic bookshelf speakers in the early 90's that lasted us for nearly a decade. But, I guess I'll start from the beginning of when I personally started collecting speakers:

-1999 - I had some off-brand home theater in a box (I really don't know the brand...).
-2000 - Polk Audio R40 towers, CS30, FXi30 and a Polk PSW-650 subwoofer.
-2001 - I replaced the PSW-650 with an SVS 20-39PCi.
-2003 - Replaced my 5 channel system with a 7 channel system, Axiom audio M22's, VP150, and QS4's all around for surrounds.
-2005 - I replaced my SVS 20-39PCi with an SVS PC-Ultra (TV-12).
-2006 - Decided to go with AV123 as speaker brand. Picked up a set of Rocket RS450, RSC200 Sig, and RSS300's for surrounds.
-2007 - Replaced my SVS PC-Ultra (TV-12) with the SVS PB13-Ultra in Rosenut.
-2008 - Upgraded my main L/R speakers from the RS450 to the RS850 Sigs. Later in the year, in anticipation for my eventual speaker replacement, I got an AV123 X-Voce to replace my RSC200 Sig for center channel duty.
-2009 - GR-Research A/V-1RS replace my RSS300's for surround sound duty and Mid-April my AV123 Focus LS-9's arrive...

That's the end of my road currently.

Wow, it's amazing to see that journey and it's troublesome to think that this is JUST my speaker journey, not including any other equipment changes.... Sad!

#6 ·
Sort of a mixed list: (Now = 2009, for people who may be viewing this in 2010+)

200x - 2007: Harman/Kardon '19.5' Multimedia Speakers (2.0), 3" Drivers.
2005 - 2005: 57mm inside-the-computer-case DIY passive stereo speakers.
2006 - 2007: 57mm from-some-workshop-headphone/earmuffs DIY portable passive stereo speaker.
2007 - Now: Kenwood AX-7 Micro Hi-Fi Stereo/Surround Sound System. Will do me for quite a while, I may make some speakers to replace the originals (see below), the originals can be used as the back surrounds.
2008 - Now: 27mm Mylar DIY Prototype Portable Battery powered Stereo Speaker.
2009 - Now: 40mm Mylar DIY Protoype2 Portable Battery powered Stereo Speaker, which is much nicer sounding than the first one, because it uses those silver shiny drivers found in other mp3 speakers.

For 2009 - 2010+: I hope to design an enclosure for a 2.0 1-driver-per-channel Desktop Speaker system using the Audience A3 drivers. I may need to practice some MDF skills by doing a cheapo system first...

#8 ·
My turn:
Home made 3-ways w/15's for the woofer in the late 80's
OHM 8" in the early 90's served me for a long time due to budget constraints.
2002 Seas Thors LCR for the theater/listening room
2008 NHT Clasic 3's LCR for the upstairs system.
various subs attempted with each.

#10 ·
OK. Let's see, how far back do you want to go? I'm not sure I can remember them all since my first personal stereo in my own home was in about 1973... but I've owned these home speakers (in no exact order):

Lafayete single driver DIY kit
Speaker Lab 15" DIY monitors
ESS AMT 1B
JBL L100
JBL 4315
Wharfdale W80
Tannoy DC4000
Klipsh LaScala
Ohm Walsh 1
Infinity RS2a
Infinity RS2000 bookshelfs
Krell LAT-2
Krell LAT-1
Altec Lansing Voice of the Theater
At least five different DIY systems of my own design, including the large 4-way OB system I'm using now.

:)

#11 · (Edited)
In the 70's I built a pair of speakers using a 8"? Radio Shack woofer and a horn tweeter.
Next, also 70's I bought a pair of Radio Shack 3-way speakers. my mother still uses one on her screened-in-porch.
Mid 70's I built a sealed 2-way using Rat Shack parts. i covered the speakers with laminate.
Late 70's I bought a large pair of Kenwood speakers using a 10" woofer. May have been LSK series. At this point I started running my TV through my speakers and have done so ever since.
Late 70's won a store drawing for some small aluminum enclosed speakers using a 4" driver and soft dome tweeter. Started using these as surrounds. Still have these in storage.
Early 80's I bought a pair of Yamaha NS-690 III. I still have these speakers in storage. They are in excellent shape.
In 1988 I paired the yamaha's with Infinity surrounds for surround sound. later adding an Infinity center for full 4.0 (mains, center and single channel for surround). Today the Infinity center is in storage and the Infinity surrounds are mounted on the wall of my screened-in-porch.
In 1995 I added a NHT SW2P subwoofer. First powered sub invented I believe. Still have the sub in storage.
1999 built a family room with one end for the HT, using RBH SI-760's and RBH 661SE's paired with ED A7S-450.
2008 converted a second room into a dedicated HT using RBH-WM30 on-wall speakers and five DIY subs. WM-30's used as mid high units crossed to subs at 100Hz. All in a 1,250CF room.
2010, placed three Klipsch RB-35's up front (center behind AT screen) and used RBH WM-30's for surrounds.
2010 Placed three JTR T8's up front (center behind AT screen) and used the Klipsch RB-35's for surround.

#12 ·
Hello,
Wow. There are some straight up classics in this thread. David, your list is simply sick.
Here goes mine:
1997: Paradigm 7SE MKIII (purchased my freshman year at UGA)
2001: Thiel CS 1.5's
2002: Martin Logan Aerius i (start of dedicated 2 channel system)
2003: Paradigm Studio 100 V2 (2) Studio CC, Paradigm Servo 15
2007: Martin Logan Vantage, Martin Logan Stage, Martin Logan Vista
2009: Martin Logan Depth (Servo 15 died and completed 5.1 ML system)
Cheers,
JJ

#14 ·
My list is fairly short in comparison to most here..

~1995 Atlantic Technology 250 5.1 System

Those were stolen out of my garage while we were staining the floors of my house. With the insurance proceeds I was able to get

~2002 Paradigm Studio 60's v2, Paradigm Studio Center v2, Paradigm ADP 370's, Paradigm PW2000
This is the system that is used in my main room

~2005 Usher 2.5 DIY kit from Zalytron
these are used in my "man cave" system

#15 ·
Heathkit 8" two-way mono '69
Marantz bookshelf (daughter still uses with paisley fabric) '74
Smaller Advent (stereo) '75 (cat pee made them garage sale fodder)
Cambridge SW (several) gave away to kids '89
inherited Advents (still have - two woofers later)
Paradigm Studio 100s Pro (plus Paradigm HT 5.1)
Magnepan 3.6s (plus HT Maggies)

#16 · (Edited)
I'll start in 1976 although I had speakers before then.
Apr 1976 sold AR2's for B&O S-70's
2 months later heard Magneplanar MG1's
2 weeks later sold B&O's and bought Magneplanar MG-1's
1978 traded up to MG-2's
1981 traded up to MG3's
1984 traded in MG-3's for Acoustat Model 3's
1988 traded in Model 3's for Model 4's
1994 sold Model 4's for 2+2's
1998 sold 2+2's for Spectra 22's
2000 added Model 1's for surround speakers

#17 · (Edited)
I started in the early 70s with speakers that didn't fold out of the amplifier/turntable...LOL.

Dahlquist DQ10s
DCM Time Window 1As
Vandersteen 2 CIs
Mirage M3sis
Aerial 10Ts
Eggleston Works Andras
I knew I forgot one pair (at least), I had a 3 way floorstanding kinda pyramid shaped pair of ESS speakers (forgot model #) that used Heil Air Motion Transformers for tweeters...they had what I considered great sound for their day and their imaging and treble was to die for!

By the way Sonnie, what an excellent idea for a thread...

#18 ·
Hello,
Joe, Eggleston Works makes some of the finest Speakers in the World. I must say many of us are quite blessed to have had some of the finest Speakers that have ever been on the market. This evolution list is quite impressive.
Cheers,
JJ

#19 · (Edited)
Thanks for the compliment JJ...you aren;t exactly listening to chopped liver either I see...VERY nice rig you have there! I'm willing to bet your monthly power bill would render most folks speechless.
Cheers...

#20 ·
Hello,
Joe, I really do feel blessed to have the system that I do. Sadly my predilection for High Powered Class A/B with a high Class A Bias coupled with power hog Speakers probably do not make my HT Energy Star Certified. Throw in living in Southwestern Florida and indeed the bill is painful.
Cheers

#21 ·
Believe me, I feel your pain...if you look under my profile, while not quite as painful as yours, it still as yours does...NOT qualify for energy star status...but my oh my does it sound good...we are both fans of Parasound!
Cheers...

#22 · (Edited)
1967 - AR4x
1972 - The Advent Loudspeaker (still in use everyday in my vintage system)
1989 - Phase Technology 730es towers
1994 - Infinity Overture 3s (still in use in living room stereo)
2000 - Infinity Interlude IL60 towers (current)

Also EPI 100s for the computer, Infinity Alpha 20s in the bedroom, Yamaha bookshelfs in the kitchen, DefTech PF1500 in the HT. It's always been about the music. And the available money.

#92 ·
1967 - AR4x
1972 - The Advent Loudspeaker (still in use everyday in my vintage system)
1989 - Phase Technology 730es towers
1994 - Infinity Overture 3s (still in use in living room stereo)
2000 - Infinity Interlude IL60 towers (current)
Couldn't figure out how to edit this old post, but I still wanted to update. The Phase Techs were the worst speakers I ever owned. I know the brand has a following. The OLAs are playing as I type. Remarkable bass and superb female vocal rendition. Can't believe the O3s are 20 years old, and that the IL60s still anchor my HT. Looks like I'm too old to upgrade and too old to care. Glad I bought some good stuff back when.

#23 · (Edited)
I'm only 23 so a lot of the beginning stuff is from my poor teenage years, and I also have Asperger's so a ton of what I've done is incredibly ghetto-rigged from scratch without much in the manner of forethought, but hey I'll shoot :)

-Creative 2.1 computer system, $40 at BB (actually a really good price for the quality IMO)
-Cambridge Soundworks 15" sub (blew my mind when I got it, kinda "meh" in hindsight :p)
-Built at least 4-5 bass cabinets for my brother's band, everything from 4x10 stacks up to a 2x18 monster that had to be disassembled to move
-Madison 18" 1,000w folded horn subwoofer, which despite still being some of the loudest bass I've ever heard, I had "matched" with the two little speakers from the Creative system haha
-Sold the massive Madison sub and went through a million various yardsale towers and bookshelves
-Klipsch Synergy Quintets with a Sub-10, got at BB for $900 total I think.. Had them for two years.
-Some good-condition (still junk..) Bose 301s for $50 to help a friend who needed money

-Went on eBay looking for two more Synergy speakers for 7.1 surround just after getting my Christmas bonus...:whistling: Ended up getting, in this order:
-Onkyo Integra DTR 5.5
-Velodyne SPL1200
-Klipsch RF-5 fronts
-Klipsch RC-3II Center
-Klipsch RF-3 surrounds

:dontknow:

Good sound is addictive haha. Ive been slowed down by moving and excessive Klipsch purchasing, but I will hopefully be adding DIY'd rotary sub to this list soon as well- I have most of what I need to put it together, now I need time.

Oh yeah, I also just took the stock speakers out of my TV and hooked up my remaining two Synergy speakers to the little wires that were there.. what a difference! I highly recommend this to anyone who doesn't want to put together a whole entertainment system for something as simple as just wanting better sound from cable TV. It's quick, it's easy, and the sound improvement is very noticeable

#24 ·
I'll add mine to the mix. Bought my first set of speakers when I was about sixteen year old. Still buying speakers some 40 years later.

Lafayette 3-way (generally lousy sounding speakers)
Dynaco A-10 (best I could afford at the time)
Dynaco A-35 (an upgrade from the A-10's)
ESS AMT-10? (clear highs but not much else good about them)
Dahlquist DQ-10 (wonderful sounding speakers)
Large Advent (Mirror image tweeter mods)
DCM Macrophone (very nice small bookshelf speakers)
Mangepan SMGA (liked them a lot but tricky placement issues)
Wharfedale ? (very nice sounding but quite ugly bookshelf speakers)

Many other small incidental speakers over the years (Optimus, Infinity, Audio Pro) some of which I cannot remember whatever happened to them.

Anyway, I'm looking to buy new speakers again. Maybe another pair of Magnepans.:wave:

#25 ·
Welcome James...You've had quite the assortment as have I...look back a little for my list. If you are seriously looking for an excellent pair of spekers I have a pair of Aerial 10Ts in black/black in flawless physical and sonic condition with Sound Anchor stands. Just gogle them if you're not familiar; they were Stereophile's 1996 speaker of the year. My pair is from 2000. If interested, send me back an e-mail and I will send pics and price. I will tell you this; you will not come close to the sound for the price...
Cheers..
Oh, and if you're not interested, tht's fine too and still WELCOME to The Shack!

#26 ·
No way to remember years or all model numbers but I will narrow it to starting with my first home theater in the early eighties :T

Radio Shack/Realistic Dolby Surround system (front floorstanders and bookshelf surrounds)
Bose 301/201 Dolby Surround system
JBL bookshelf Dolby Surround system
Bose AM 7 Pro Logic System
Klipsch floorstanders, center, bookshelf surrounds
Paradigm Titan/Atom and center
Definitive Technology 2004 bipolars, center, bipole surrounds
and currently;

theater room- Polk LS 90's, Polk CS350 center, and four Polk M3 surrounds
living room- four Polk R300's and a CS1 center
bedroom- Polk 6750 HT speaker system

for a grand total of 18 Polk speakers in the house :gulp:

Subs;
Radio Shack 12" passive downfiring
Bose Acoustimass
A powered Yamaha
Definitive dual 12's in the bi-polars
Definitive powerfield 12
Dual RCA powered 12's
and currently;

Two Velodyne DPS 12's in the theater room
Velodyne VX 10 in the living room
Polk 8" in the bedroom from the 6750 system

#27 ·
Neat idea for a thread!

My list is pretty short as of right now...

1997 - $300 KLH HTIB system
2001 - JBL Studio series 5.1 (White S36 fronts wall mounted, S-Center, N24 surrounds, PB12 sub)
2003 - JBL sub died, replaced with Velodyne CHT-12
2008 - Moved into a new house and upgraded everything... Paradigm Monitor 9's, CC-290, ADP-190's
2009 - Couldn't resist a sale at Outlaw Audio, upgraded the Velodyne to an LFM-1 Plus

I don't know what's next... The sub is pretty much perfect for the room and I really like the Paradigm setup now that it's EQ'd. I might try to free up some space and go with some wall mounted Paradigms like the W5's or Studio Esprits. We'll see. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.