Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Using my older Polk speakers as satellites?

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  eugovector 
#1 ·
Hello,
Curious for any recommendations.
My old speakers that are getting replaced include: A center polk csi3, pair of R50's, R30's and R15's.

I am still waiting in other forums for advice on what new bookshelf speakers to get for new fronts and a new center, but I was wondering:

Would it be worthwhile NOT to get new surround sound speakers. Could I use the R50's as satellites? maybe teh Csi3 as a rear center channel?

#5 ·
How can you reall do that. My sofa is all the way up against the other wall. I have room to put the R50 towers at each corner of the sofa, I even have a little gap space to sneak in maybe an extra P2030 or P2031p as a rear center. But, when the surrounds are so close to your head, can you really properly establish a good surround sound effect?

Also, out of curiosity. The P2030's or P2031's are such a good deal, I was considering setting up the entire room with them.
2 fronts, a center, 2 rears mounted higher above the head on the wall. Maybe even 2 additional fronts that can sit much higher up on the wall unit.

Lastly, if anyone can help. I was worried about the P2031's being 4ohm, and using a Onkyo 807.

#6 ·
I think I read somewhere something about the P2031's ideally having 300W at 4ohm, but the 807 only does 250W at 4 ohm???Sorry, not to good at this stuff.

Should I just stick with the P2030's if that is the case. I certainly don't wanter to undermine the quality of the speaker's output with an insufficient receiver. I plan to probably run 2 subwoofers anyway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.