Best Speakers that you've heard - Page 15 - Home Theater Forum and Systems -

post #141 of 401 Old 03-10-08, 01:12 AM
Re: Best Speakers that you've heard

Out of the hundreds of speakers I have heard (yes hundreds as I travel to the Hi-Fi shows and such) I would have to say the MBL line which is insanely priced sound great but a real world honest to goodness hi-end speaker that sounds best to me is the Vandersteen 5A, powered woofers 11 and bass EQ to tune to your room along with first ordercrossovers, time and phase correct....this speaker is amazing!
Sponsored Links
post #142 of 401 Old 03-16-08, 01:41 AM
Senior Shackster
Send a message via AIM to yourgrandma

Wilson WattPuppies sounded pretty nice today. Oddly, I prefered the WattPuppies to the Maxx. I think the room had a lot to do with that. The Maxx were run off all Audio Research gear. A 200 watt amp on each channel. The WattPuppies were run on Ayre gear. I also listened to the Martin Logan Summit, but they were a bit outclassed by the $28,000 WattPuppies and the $50,000 Maxx. I would have checked out some Magneans, but I was short on time. I plan to revisit the store, though. The people working there were fantastically kind, nothing like what one has come to expect at such a high end retailer. The guy helping me was actually happy to hear some of my unusual demo material, and put to bed my use of lossless tracks on an iPod as demo material. Side by side with a CD was more of a difference than I would have imagined.

I only had time for a couple albums, but those Wilsons, as much as people like to knock them, sounded pretty nice to me.

Onkyo 805 | Definitive Technology ProTower 400s | ProCenterC2 | BP2x | ProMonitor 100s | Dayton RF 12 HO slot ported thingy | Optoma HD70 | Play Station 3 |
post #143 of 401 Old 03-18-08, 01:35 PM
Senior Shackster

I too am a huge fan of the Wilson WATT/Puppy, and like you; prefer it to the MAXX...also an absolutely terrific speaker. Trust me on this...people that disparage Wilson speakers have usually either: a. Not heard them, or: b. Cannot afford them (and that's a LOT of people), or if they can are just too "frugal" to buy them. My first encounter with the WWP was at a Stereophile High End show in Los Angeles in ~1990, and I was immediately smitten. I've heard them as well as many other incredible speakers since then, but with each iteration Wilson (IMHO) keeps geting closer and closer to as perfect as a speaker will ever be. In other words: MY top ranking speaker on the planet, and to those that disparage them:

I get up...I get the paper...I read the obituaries...if I don't see my name; I go ahead and have breakfast! George Burns.
post #144 of 401 Old 03-29-08, 11:57 PM
alan monro

Danny the best speakers i have heard . All speakers sound good in their place . Rock concert spkrs sound great at a concert , the speakers at a jazz gig sound great . My mates speakers in his HT sound great . As to the best i have heard , is a very hard question . Alan Monro .
post #145 of 401 Old 03-31-08, 11:21 PM
Elite Shackster

Maybe we should change the name of this thread to "Best Setups That You've Heard" I have heard really good speakers sound awful in a bad setup and mediocre speakers sound awesome in really good setups. I don't think there is one magic component, wire or speaker but that it is the combination of all parts working as one that creates a great setup. Of course there are exceptions. As far as best speaker that I have heard I would have to give the node to the Magnepan 3.6.

post #146 of 401 Old 04-17-08, 09:08 AM

Hi, they were the not so known GERMAN PHYSICS Loreley mk III.
I listened to the top version, the one with carbon DDD driver, with two top Burmester monoblock and top cd player and pre also by Burmester, even if the best results i listened to had obtained with an analog tape recorder...

As you see in this brochure they are big and 925 lbs of weight. (EACH!!)

And, listen, they are not the TOP model, which is the Gaudi, of course more expensive and bigger 1584 lbs of weight each...
post #147 of 401 Old 04-18-08, 12:50 AM

Those GP Gaudi speakers make my near 6ft tall 310lb each speakers look like a bookshelf speaker!
I hear 2 of the GP speakers and they are great........and for that money they better be!
The Vandersteen 5A has my vote simply because it has to be the best speaker with the most features for the money, powered woofers 11 band adjustable bass EQ tuning, First Order Crossover, Time and Phase correct and Richard Vanddersteen is a very nice guy to hang out with and talk to, if you want straight talk share a dinner or even a phone call with Richard as he is very honest and blunt, I wish more Hi-End manufacture's were like him.
post #148 of 401 Old 06-23-08, 04:30 PM

My friend has some really nice VMPS Tower II
Amazing full-range sound
post #149 of 401 Old 06-25-08, 07:32 AM

Well, I haven't heard a lot of the speakers that seem to be getting so much love in this thread, but the best I've ever heard had to be a pair of Snell XA90s.

46" Sony 720p LCD
Denon AVR-4306
Snell K5 fronts
Snell KIII rears
Snell XA55 center
TC LMS4000 Sub
Oppo 981hd
APC H15 power conditioner
post #150 of 401 Old 06-25-08, 09:31 AM
Elite Shackster
Dr Doan

I haven't heard too many super expensive speakers, but, of the speakers I have heard at length, I will put my vote on the SVS-SB-01's for the best value in speakers, and, the Vandersteen 5a's for the best speaker I have heard. Dennis

L Dennis Doan, DC
Gonstead Chiropractor
SVSound MTS-02 Fronts, MCS-02 Center, SSS-01 surrounds, SBS-02 rear surrounds, (2) SVSound SB-13 Plus Subwoofers
AS-EQ1 Sub Equalizer (WOW!)
Onkyo TX-SR707 7.2 Receiver w/Audyssey XT
Insignia Blu Ray NS-WBRDVD3
Toshiba DVD Recorder w/HDMI
Direct TV DVR HD
BenQ W5000 projector. 91" screen. 15' x 11.8' vaulted ceiling dedicated HT room w/DIY sound absorption

heard , speakers

Quick Reply

Register Now

Confirm Password
Email Address
Confirm Email Address
Random Question
Random Question #2

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address

Activation requires you reply to an email we will send you after you register... if you do not reply to this email, you will not be able to view certain areas of the forum or certain images... nor will you be able download software.

See our banned email list here: Banned Email List

We DO NOT respond to spamcop, boxtrapper and spamblocker emails... please add @hometheatershack DOT com to your whitelist prior to registering or you will get nowhere on your registration.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page