Best Speakers that you've heard - Page 8 - Home Theater Forum and Systems -

post #71 of 401 Old 04-12-07, 10:17 PM
Senior Shackster
Re: Best Speakers that you've heard

Thats too bad about your local high end shop. The one here in Victoria is like no other electronics store I have ever seen. It is called Sound Hounds and is the most UNpretentious place you will ever find. The carpet is worn, the shelves that hold many thousand dollar speakers are plywood suppoerted by milk crates. There are a couple of old big chairs and couches around to lounge and listen in. The atmosphere is great and the people are knowledgable but not arrogant or pushy. It is quite a unique experience to just drop in and have a listen.
Sponsored Links
post #72 of 401 Old 04-13-07, 08:32 AM
Elite Shackster

Anyone who has an extra $6000 laying around or was thinking about spending that much on a pair of speakers should seriously consider these Meadowlark Blue Heron 2s on AudiogoN. I know you cannot find better sounding or less fatigueing speakers for that price.
post #73 of 401 Old 09-04-07, 04:34 PM
Senior Shackster

I've had the good fortune to listen to literally 100s and 100s of really good speakers, but to me, the best I've ever heard was a three way tie as they were not heard at the same time: Wilson Audio Watt Puppies, Eggleston Andras and Aerial Acoustics 20Ts. I currently own a pair of Aerial Acoustics 10Ts, and they're pretty good too.

Last edited by conchyjoe7; 03-13-09 at 10:08 PM.
post #74 of 401 Old 09-04-07, 06:28 PM
Elite Shackster

conchyjoe7 wrote: View Post
I've had the good fortune to listen to literally 100s and 100s of really good speakers, but to me, the best I've ever heard was a three way tie as they were not heard at the same time: Wilson Audio Watt Puppies, Eggleston Andra IIs, and Aerial Acoustics 20Ts. I currently own a pair of Aerial Acoustics 10Ts, and they're pretty good too.
oooooooooooooooooooooooo!! I just hate you! I LOVE those 10T's!! I haven't heard the 20T's, but man, those 10T's were gorgeous!

post #75 of 401 Old 09-06-07, 08:09 AM

I recently renovated my basement and was looking to keep the basement very up to date so i researched for something new and fresh along the lines of home audio. I went with a new company that has wireless home audio equipment. They are called "sound on usa". I have had them in for about a month now and have no complaints.
post #76 of 401 Old 09-06-07, 04:29 PM
Elite Shackster
My System

jhixson wrote: View Post
The B&W 802Ds were very nice.
I have to agree B&W get my vote here as well. The 801's although far to pricy for me were stunning in the room I auditioned them in.
I was a big fan of Mission, thats why I have them as my main system but sadly their quality went downhill as soon as they tried to get into the big box consumer end stores.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #77 of 401 Old 09-20-07, 01:01 AM

In no particular order:

B&W 805 - the clarity and transparency of vocals and smoothness of the treble. No boxy coloration at all.

Klipschorns - they reproduce midbass realistically(not thumpy), and the dynamics make most speakers sound anemic by comparison. These speakers can easily pass for live music when heard from another room.

NHT 4.4 - awesome female vocal reproduction. Outstanding bass clarity and extension.

Cerwin Vega S1 "loud.speaker" - these surprisingly powerful "bookshelf" speakers have the legendary gut-punching bass in spades and the cleanest output at true rock concert levels I've ever heard. 200 watts will get you 120db/m.
post #78 of 401 Old 10-22-07, 09:20 PM

With out a question, hands down, far and above, the only answer in my mind would be the Kilpsch Hertiage Series speakers. The Klipsch Horn is the best speaker make period. However there is a whole other side to the coin you did not ask, that makes all the difference in the world. These speakers would not perform worth anything with todays junk wattage amps. SO, if you match you Klipsch speaker with the correct amp, then you will be more than amazed, you would be saying the same thing I am. Now the Kilpsch Horn needs a correct wide (in the corner) placement along with the correct amp. I can't afford the correct amp and I don't have the room. I have a pair of Klipsch Bells for my HT mains , pure being there sound with out needing the corners. I use the out of the surround sound HT reciever for the mains to an input of an old 74 Kenwood KR-6600 that I run the Bells with ( I can't afford the McIntosh tube amps of old.) I get great sound that way.
Now listing to music is a horse of a different color. I listen to all my music from my old Marantz 2285 into a pair of old Kilpsch Cornwalls. I believe the Cornwalls just may be the best one of the bunch for most people. BTW, when I watch movies , I have the sub out from the surround sound going to the Marantz running the Cornwalls which turns them into two subs while the Bells are used as the mains. Music is pretty cool that way as well but I am old school and prefer the old stereo config and the Cornwalls make a much deeper base than the Bells, which make the pure sound of the would have to listen to Pink Floyd's Welcome to the Machine to know what I am saying. The Cornwalls will have the WOOM WOOM WOOM going with the windows and pictures shaking. With the Bells however you will hear ever sound in detail and the base sound of the machine will come out RUM RUM RUM and you can hear it clearly would out the deep low that will shake you to your bones. If you listen to Classical , wow the Bells are tops. BTW , the Bells look good but I believe the LaScalla's sound a tad bit better and more like the K-horns.
Deam System -speaker wise - would be a very large room with the front mains as Klipsch Horns and a center speaker being either a LaScalla or Bell just under the projector screen that rolls up and still leaves a large LCD HDTV above the center speaker. The surround speakers I would use the Heresys up high and tilted a bit down , Heresy in the center back as well. One the floor back left and rear would be My Cornwalls use as subwoofers for movies and to Listen to music when I want that certian sound they and they alone can only produce (they may be the perfect all round speaker).
Match them up with some McIntosh stuff and WOW what A DREAM.
I don't know what the new McIntosh stuff sounds like but the K-horns I heard about 1974 with them big McIntosh tubes sticking up from the black bases took my breath away for real -forget listening to music -you feel music. I get the best for the buck with the Cornwalls and Marantz (all 70.s tech)
post #79 of 401 Old 10-22-07, 10:14 PM
Senior Shackster

I agree with the K-horns. Course mine are run with McIntosh MC-275 MKIV. I also own LaScala's, Cornwall's and Heresy's.

Dallas, Texas

Downstairs: Oak Klipschorns, LaScala (center), Cornwall (sides), Bubinga Heresy I (rear), SVS PB12-Plus/2, Outlaw 990, McIntosh MA6100, (2) MC250, MC2100, Oppo BDP-95, Toshiba HD-A2, Belkin Pure AV PF60, Behringer DSP1124P

Upstairs: McIntosh C2200, MC275 MKIV, Walnut Cornwall I, Oppo BDP-83, Technics SL-1200 M3D, Audio Technica AT150MLX, Richard Gray Power Company 400 Pro
post #80 of 401 Old 10-22-07, 11:11 PM

By far the best system I've ever heard was a friends 5.1 NHT M5 system. I've never heard so much detail and clarity before. They also played extreemly loud. Far better than any theater I've been to. It was so impressive, I ended up purchasing a set of NHT SB3's with two 10" subs. The M5's were way out of my budget... ok, actually way out of the wifes "I'll never live that down" budget .

heard , speakers

Quick Reply

Register Now

Confirm Password
Email Address
Confirm Email Address
Random Question
Random Question #2

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address

Activation requires you reply to an email we will send you after you register... if you do not reply to this email, you will not be able to view certain areas of the forum or certain images... nor will you be able download software.

See our banned email list here: Banned Email List

We DO NOT respond to spamcop, boxtrapper and spamblocker emails... please add @hometheatershack DOT com to your whitelist prior to registering or you will get nowhere on your registration.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page