Best Speakers that you've heard - Page 9 - Home Theater Forum and Systems -

post #81 of 401 Old 10-22-07, 11:23 PM
Re: Best Speakers that you've heard

I would have to agree with the Wilson audio votes. Hands down the absolute pinnacle of audio reproduction to my ears.

However, years ago I had the pleasure of listening to a 2.1 setup consisting of Unity Audio Signature Fountainhead towers powered by Cary Audio tube amps at CES... and fell in love. Unity Audio is no longer in existence so thank goodness I bought a pair before they went into the history books.
Sponsored Links
post #82 of 401 Old 10-23-07, 01:12 PM

B&W 805 matrix series, saved the marriage (always huge speakers before these, Rogers LS5/8 etc....)
M&K 2510's followed as a 7.1 surround setup (with dual MX350's...... wife not impressed!!) but were very good movie speakers.

Currently a full set of PMC's EB1 fronts CB6 centre, DB1+s surrounds (well I got to 26 years married so I thought I'd try my luck and got away with it......), loads of Brystons for the front and TAG amps for the supporting roles... All running in nicely this week........ (yes speakers do sound better after a bit of serious running in.....), and no you don't need a sub with EB1's.....they embarrass most subs....far more bass extension than the house can take (room EQ and TMREQ via AV192R to the rescue, thanks again John).
post #83 of 401 Old 10-23-07, 03:00 PM

jamo R909 reference speakers. unbelievable imageing.
post #84 of 401 Old 10-23-07, 03:55 PM
Doug Plumb

Actually, for me its some low cost PSB speakers - I mean for the price. I particularly like the Image B25. I have their high end M2's because they are better. Before that I would say PSB Stratus.

The Image B25 are every bit as good as their Stereophile review says they are. Excellent smooth midrange that is unreal - at almost any cost. I'd be surprised if home builders of passive speakers can match these at any cost.

I sold home audio for a number of years a long time ago and have heard the new Quads, high end B&W's, KEF's etc - I have always been a PSB fan.

Doug Plumb
post #85 of 401 Old 10-23-07, 06:31 PM

Carver AL-IIIs run off TAD 100wpc tube monos...though I understand my friends Platinums are even better. We also listened to the Dahlquist DQ-10s which were special, but without the bass. It's not just the speakers, but the system synergy, amp, player, DAC, cables, speakers, room, that make all the difference.
post #86 of 401 Old 10-23-07, 08:48 PM

rcarlton wrote: View Post
I agree with the K-horns. Course mine are run with McIntosh MC-275 MKIV. I also own LaScala's, Cornwall's and Heresy's.
Wow , you've got it made. I want to come to your house to listen to some real music...........or watch a moive.
BTW, I can't understand why other don't get it. I've never in my 47 years heard anything else even close, to hear the smallest sound or to have your heart skip a beat because of the base with out the volume being too high or harsh............well I need not tell you..LOL
I did hear one well of a live concert once in Little Rock ( for the life of me I can't remember who it was)
but I walked by the stage during a strong song being played, while chasing a girl, the song pushed deep inside me so to speak and the base stopped my heart beat for a second but it did not hirt my ears. I was impressed, just like when I listened to the K-Horns with he McIntosh tube amps years ago. No need to guess, but the speakers the band was using were Klipsch Professionals, I wish I could remember who it was, all I can remember was the speakers (go figure). I wonder what kind of power amps they were using?
There is no way anyone can prove that there is any other better speaker made, not matter the cost !
post #87 of 401 Old 10-24-07, 07:53 AM

I'd have to say my current, highly modified Linkwitz Orions. I used to own Wilson Watt/Puppies and these were better in the ways that count to me when I had both so they get the nod.
post #88 of 401 Old 10-24-07, 09:28 AM

These are some of the best sounding speakers I have heard to date. A note though, that each of these systems will only sound as good as the room they are in with proper setup and proper equipment (Synergy)

JM Lab Grand Utopia BE

Martin Logan Statment E2

Martin Logan CLS (I, II, IIz) - A more cost effective ML speaker than the E2 which can be used very effectively in "real" home sized rooms

Wilson Audio - Watt/Puppy 5's (have not liked them since 5) with Cello Electronics

Legacy Audio - Helix and Whisper

Infinity IRS V's
post #89 of 401 Old 10-24-07, 10:43 AM

Ken Palmer wrote: View Post
There is no way anyone can prove that there is any other better speaker made, not matter the cost !
Ahh, Grasshopper..... when you are able, you may swing by my place and hear the (originally) intended REPLACEMENT to the much vaunted Klipschorn and hear the Klipschorn Jubilee's

All the Khorn is with 1/3'rd the distortion!! Yep, the Khorn which is noted for its low distortion has three times the amount the Jubilee has.

One good listen and you will have proof enough.

I recently went out of my way to hear some Wilson speakers. I listened to the WIlson Maxx as well as I believe the Watt Puppy (I'm looking at their website to compare pictures to names right now)

Anyways, I only did a one song 'demo' so it's not like I spent any real time with them. I am very familar with Gordon Goodwin's "Big Phat Band" and I played "Sing Sang Sung" paying attention to the opening drumroll.

I asked the salesman to put the volume on "11" and he laughed.

Power was a McIntosh preamp (the new one with the tubes showing in the top of the unit) with some McIntosh MC-275's on each channel. (bridged??)

All I can say is BOTH Wilson speakers sounded nice and all that BUT given they were something like $50,000 for the 'large' speakers and $14,000 for the small ones.... I was left wanting.

Interestingly, the wife (who was there for a change) said "it sounded more like the band was playing inside that box where at home, it sounds more like the band is playing in the ROOM"

I just smiled.

btw, that's a legit offer if anyone happens to be in the Knoxville, TN area and wants to give the Jubilee's a run for their money
post #90 of 401 Old 10-24-07, 10:52 AM

For the fans of Wilson speakers (and they DID sound nice).

You might have seen his comments about how only horn speakers might be as dynamic as his speakers and his comment on Klipsch?

You might expect that David Wilson was born to parents with a deep love for music, which they passed on to him. This was not the case. Wilson's father was an honest, hard-working man who took care of his family. He did not have the good fortune to spend his life's work on something he loved. He provided.

David Wilson was introduced to his life's work one Christmas - at 13 - as he lay in bed, trying to sleep. Sleep would not come, however, because carolers in the neighborhood kept singing, without moving on. Frustrated, he went to his window. There were no singers; a neighbor had placed a Klipsch speaker on his front porch - pouring carols into the night.

This experience so intrigued Dave that he turned to a friend, Don Alley, a young audiophile, to find out more. It was a short trip from there into audio. Like so many young people in that time, Dave's first experiment was a Heathkit amplifier that he assembled himself. He was so excited by the prospect that he rushed headlong into building the amplifier, indulging his passion without the discipline of intellect. Standing back, proudly looking at the finished product, Dave threw the power switch. And in seconds, the house was filled with acrid smoke.

Though he was only an adolescent, Dave learned a lesson that day. You can see the evidence of it in everything he does. He learned the value of the scientific method: the careful process of performing a task one step at a time and recording the results. Today, as Dave listens to changes in a speaker design, he documents each step and records the results. Testing speaker cables, he follows the same steps. Dave saves all his work. Ask him how he chose the binding posts for the original WATT loudspeaker and he will pull out a record of his listening sessions with each post.

After his experience with the Heathkit, Dave proceeded more carefully but with every bit as much passion. And he studied, reading everything he could about audio. He started building speakers. He built a speaker into a window of the Wilson household to explore the infinite baffle concept. This, of course, endeared him to his neighbors. He experimented with enclosures, using a stack of rubber tires as a cabinet - his first modular design?

Music became a passion, a need. Instead of following the popular culture of the day - Elvis and The Beatles - he developed a love of classical music. It is bemusing to watch him -perfectly pressed sitting on the floor, legs crossed, conducting the music that is playing over the WAMMs. His eyes closed, a hint of a smile at the corners of his mouth - this is passion.

At Brigham Young University in Provo, Utah, Dave met the other passion of his life - Sheryl Lee Jamison. In this instance, Dave’s passion and intellect worked in perfect synch.

Sheryl Lee was looking for somebody to transcribe records onto tapes she could send her boyfriend in New Zealand. Sheryl Lee’s cousin, Ty Jamison, told her about his roomate, Dave, who was really into audio. When Dave met her at the door of his apartment, his heart rate went into high RPM. As they talked and he showed her his system, he was calculating just how much time he would have before she "walked out of my life." The time it would take to transfer a tape was not enough. He reached behind the recorder when she wasn't looking and snapped the input patch cords. A night of taping was followed by the shocking discovery that there was no music on the tape! It had to be done over. In 1966, they were married.

Even though Dave went into pharmaceutical research, audio was never far from his heart. A look at his 1966 system (see photo) is evidence of obsession. A turntable suspended from Whamm-o sling shot rubber bands? Years later, this concept reappeared in one of the world's finest turntables, the SME Model 30.

By 1974, Dave had a pair of Dahlquist DQ-10 loudspeakers, which he started modifying (beyond recognition). In 1977, the Wilsons launched the Wilson Recording label with their first release of organist James Welch (Concert).
In the late Seventies, Dave's research on the speaker that became his flagship - the WAMM - began. Working in his garage and living room, he constructed a prototype of a state-of-the-art modular loudspeaker (see photo). In 1981, David and Sheryl Lee introduced the WAMM at Garland Audio in northern California, and immediately sold two at $28,000 each. They sold five sets of WAMMs that year. Today, they have sold over 50 WAMM systems despite a price tag that now stands at $225,000.

As the Wilsons continued recording (with Sheryl Lee running the business), they discovered that their on-site monitors did not provide accurate information about the recordings. Sheryl Lee, the realist…who paid the bills…, had been urging David to build a smaller, less expensive speaker for the company. He had resisted. The Wilson passion pushes him toward the outer edges of the art. But when his recordings were undermined by the quality of the monitors, he was convinced. And thus was born the WATT, a design that reshaped the high end speaker market.

He built two pairs of WATTs. One - the "white dwarf" - for recording work (see photo) and another, nicely finished, for home use. The second pair went to the 1986 summer CES where, despite its $4,500 price tag, it wowed the crowds. A classic was launched. The WATT's dedicated woofer, the Puppy, followed in 1988. Suddenly the Wilsons had a major high end audio company. WATT cabinets began to stack up throughout their house and the Wilson children - David III, Kevin, Daryl and Debby became speaker builders.

In 1991 the Wilsons moved their business and family back to Provo, Utah, where Dave and Sheryl Lee first met, and where their success continues. Since then, the business has grown exponentially. Over 12,000 WATTs have been sold. In 1993, they introduced the X-1 Grand SLAMM, a $65,000 state-of-the-art design that took the audio world by storm. Wilson has sold over 400 pairs of the X-1.

Each of these speakers is an exercise in excellence. Within the design parameters of each speaker, Wilson builds the product without compromise. Listening to a Wilson speaker is like reading a score. You will know exactly how the piece was played, and what each instrumental voice has to say. "Revealing," is the pertinent adjective. Each Wilson design is intensely intellectual. It is difficult to disengage your brain because there is so much information demanding your attention. Passion enters the equation in the speakers' abilities to reproduce the dynamic scale of music. Short of a horn, no speaker is as dynamic as a Wilson.

heard , speakers

Quick Reply

Register Now

Confirm Password
Email Address
Confirm Email Address
Random Question
Random Question #2

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address

Activation requires you reply to an email we will send you after you register... if you do not reply to this email, you will not be able to view certain areas of the forum or certain images... nor will you be able download software.

See our banned email list here: Banned Email List

We DO NOT respond to spamcop, boxtrapper and spamblocker emails... please add @hometheatershack DOT com to your whitelist prior to registering or you will get nowhere on your registration.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page